• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2009 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Hey now. I for one will not stand for negativity towards D. Gray-man.

Also I'm happy to see that Nyan Koi is being given a chance here. I personally think it looks very promising.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I've never been a shonen fan. I've never watched more than one complete episode of Naruto or Bleach, and never made it through one complete episode of DBZ. So I watched Fairy Tail just in comparison to any other anime. All I can say is I've probably never agreed with Zac's opinion more, which I normally take as somewhat tongue-in-cheek hyperbole. This is one of the worst anime episodes of any genre that I've seen in all ways. I made it through 3 seasons of Slayers (not to say it's bad, just gets tiresome and falls in quality), and for certain any randomly chosen episode was better animated and more entertaining than this. When I was 9 years old and watching Warner Bros cartoons on Saturday mornings, I probably would have been delighted. Not now.

On the other hand, the second episode of Sora no Otoshimono has excellent animation, good music, an interesting and well-played, fairly intriguing plot so far, unique twists on old tricks, and contains an EP that will likely be inducted into the Ecchi Hall of Fame. Priceless. Warning: If your response to panties is an angry blood rush, then you need to fly as fast as these do out the window away from this one Wink. Otherwise, it's brilliant and hilarious. Best bet for ecchi certainly, and probably comedy, this season.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I think all that really needs to be said against Fairy Tail for me is, "From the creator of Rave Master!" The SyFy airing of the latter nearly drove me to suicide. Razz
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Despite how anime fans may feel about them, Naruto and Bleach are still amongst my favorite anime. I can just relax and enjoy them without worrying about having to remember a long list of characters or figure out some convoluted plot. As such I'm willing to give Fairy Tail a try.

As for One Piece, I'm hesitant to get back into that (after it's NA TV run) since there's just so many episodes to go just to catch up. I never really cared all that much for it anyways. So if Fairy Tail is a One Piece copy I might not mind. The first episode seemed interesting enough but I really would have to see a few before deciding.

As for overeating, nobody seems to do it as much as Slayers.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
As for overeating, nobody seems to do it as much as Slayers.

Right. As in "been there, saw that...", many times. I don't recall being much put off by the depictions of Lina's gluttony. This in FT just seemed like trying to top every previous example with simply more bowls piled up and more splashing and gobbling and stuffing. I actually have a slight physical aversion to the sound in even normal anime scenes of people slurping noodles through chopsticks, due I think to being overly and forcibly indoctrinated in U.S. table manners as a child (though how do they keep from splashing themselves, anyway Wink). So yeah, untidy overeating wouldn't be a selling point for me.

Oh, and I have no opinion on shonen shows otherwise. They obviously are very popular and appeal to a wide demographic. I'm just not part of that one.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Juuyon wrote:
Really? Do you also have a low opinion of D.Gray-man?

The main character has about as much personality as a limp noodle, and the plot is composed of elements harvested from other, better series. The art is really, really good though. It's just the rest that's rather generic.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
its nice to see Zac throwing some love to One Piece in his review of Fairy Tale, a show thats still neglected by the majority of the american fan base.

good review Zac, reading your reviews is my favorite part of these preview guides.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, that's right, I never got around to posting this. If it's not too much of a hassle, one suggestion I have for the next iteration of the preview guide would be to include the posting date and time of each new review at the top. When multiple reviewers are covering the same episodes of each series, it can get a bit difficult to remember just whose review I've read for what show, and having some idea of when exactly they're being posted would be a big help.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
As a FYI, the latest preview postings are probably going to be the last. Although there's still a couple more significant titles yet to go (Winter Sonata, the new Kiddy Grade series), the new pickings this week are just too thin to warrant continuation.

I will certainly be reviewing KG in its own Anime forum thread once its fansubs become available. Thanks to all who read and made comments; I always enjoy reading the feedback and fan opinions on the same titles we've looked at.

And now back to regular reviews. Expect the first sets of Clannad After Story and Ghost Hound to go up in the next week or two.

Last edited by Key on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
its nice to see Zac throwing some love to One Piece in his review of Fairy Tale, a show thats still neglected by the majority of the american fan base.

good review Zac, reading your reviews is my favorite part of these preview guides.

It's one of the three mangas people read. It's basically the Sacred cow of the anime community.
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac Bertschy's review of Fairy Tail was dead on. Bravo!
Another reviewer, though, said FT had beautiful animation. Blindness much? It looks like crap and i'm being kind here.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Although Zac's reviews are something you'd read for fun... instead of something you'd read and consider watching the anime. But I believe he's stated that already.
Either way, thanks for all the previews and thanks previewers. Not even one preview I disagreed with this fall.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
When did people began to care about plot in a shonen series? Except for Fullmetal Alchemist , and Rurouni Kenshin I don't remember a single shonen series that had a great plot.

Bleach had a good plot in the beginning, until it turned into just another string of endless battles (somewhere after the Soul Society arc ended). Negima has so much plot, stuff has to get cut in order to progress.

Just because most shonen series get away with having a crappy plot doesn't mean they shouldn't try. That's why the good stuff is good, because it doesn't sink to the lowest common denominator.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really seeing the One Piece comparisons with Fairy Tail. Only problem I really have with the show so far is the bad CG.

Last edited by Eivion on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
@Zac
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but in case it wasn't an intentional misspelling, you spelled Fairy Tail wrong. ^^;;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22