• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bakuman. GN 15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Bakuman is a very interesting series. The arcs don't stretch on forever, and the characters are all entertaining in their own way. I really liked this volume. I agree that the Nanamine arc ended kind of abruptly but it had a satisfactory ending, until we see him rear his head again, I'm sure.

The Nakai arc also played out well in my mind. Nakai has always served as a foil to Mashiro as far back as when he was first introduced. He is the physical representation of lost dreams. I remember one part where he's sobbing himself to sleep at night because he wants a series so badly. He's a desperate man who's constantly standing on the edge. Then he finally got pushed over the edge and he became what he is today. Ohba does a good job of making you dislike Nakai's character but at the same time feel sorry for him, because all he really wants is a shot at love. However with this set of chapters, he becomes the foil to Hiramaru.

Hiramaru has always been one of my favorite character, the lazy bum that he is. But, it was particularly striking when he realized that one wrong step, and he could end up in the same boat as Nakai, old, unloved, without a stable income. In that way, Bakuman doesn't just glorify the manga business, it presents the negative sides as well, but does it in a creative way. Hence Nakai's fall from grace.

The reunion chapter was one of my favorites in this volume. It really makes you realize how the time can fly, and you might miss important things in your life in the process of chasing your dreams, but as long as you enjoy what you're doing with your life, its worth it. The use of the quotes from Tomorrow's Joe made the scene even more poignant (despite never having read the series)

The copycat arc, as mentioned in the review seemed to be a direct parallel to the Death Note scare. I thought it was interesting how Ohba was able to add that sort of comparison and social commentary into Bakuman. The conclusion I thought, wrapped the arc up quite nicely.

One of the complaints I've never really understood thats been directed towards Bakuman is the excessive use of dialouge. Bakuman is a simple story but it has to be dialogue heavy in order for it to work. I actually like the amount of dialogue, I find it more engaging to read than a tired battle manga format. It helps to pull one into the world and the characters of the series, but then again that's just my two cents on the matter.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to picking up the next volume this weekend!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, the swift collapse and abrupt ending—Nanamine simply strolls off after declaring defeat—suggests that the creators' personal biases are coming into play here. After all, Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata have thrived under the Shonen Jump system, so they probably see their way as the only "right" way, not allowing for any alternatives.

We're up to Bakuman GN 15 and this is a sudden revelation? Better late than never, I suppose...

To be perfectly honest, this volume was released after I dropped the series, namely when the "artistic duo" named which genres were worthy of merit and which ones were beneath them in order to successfully execute a success. What the audience likes? What do they know?
StaticSabre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

To be perfectly honest, this volume was released after I dropped the series, namely when the "artistic duo" named which genres were worthy of merit and which ones were beneath them in order to successfully execute a success. What the audience likes? What do they know?

They never said certain genres were "beneath them", or unworthy of merit. They talk about genres that they can't do, because they aren't suited for those genres, but they never put any of them down. They even work to create two manga from genres that they are the least proficient at; gag and fantasy manga.

As for the excessive dialogue, I've always thought that just comes with the territory.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
I feel I need to dispute this representation:
Quote:
Obviously, the idea of two guys fighting over a girl is an archaic, sexist image, and indeed, the series portrays the showdown as an embarrassing farce. In the end, Aoki emerges as the victor rather than either of the two men, as she forces them to arrive at a compromise. And so we get the cautionary tale on how self-indulgent personal desires can be a danger, both emotionally and professionally.

Firstly, saying that Nakai & Hiramaru "fight over the girl" implies a sort of "winner gets the girl" perspective. That is not what's going on at all. Nakai is (misguidedly, as numerous characters point out) attempting to take out his frustration on Aoki. Nakai flat out SAYS that he knows it's not valid, but it's no more "sexist" than when Nanamine blames anyone he can find for his own failings. Hiramaru is obsessed with Aoki and he tries to be her "white knight" in that naive young boy kind of way (even though Hiramaru is supposed to be what? mid-late twenties... older?). As you say, this is played for laughs more than as an sort of commentary seeing as it ends with the two guys wasted at Hiramaru's place.

I think you're looking for some kind of sex-ploitation message in there that just doesn't fit. Your comment that "Aoki emerges as the victor" just does not fit with the story. Aoki & Nakai come to an understanding that had been left hanging by previous stories, but she hardly "forces a compromise" with Nakai & Hiramaru. If anything, I think one should give respect to Hiramaru. Not for the "physical" sacrifice he made (letting himself get beat up) but for the "social" effort he makes. Nakai is that "guy with poor social skills" that needs someone to include him. He imagined relationships with previous women, but Hiramaru (with help from his editor) gives him (probably imaginary) hope about getting a girlfriend but more importantly, gives him a FRIEND that he can talk to and rely on and reconnect with society through. When we met him, Nakai was the "old man" amongst star rookies in their teens and early 20s. Before hooking up with Nanamine, Nakai was basically hikkokomori with his parents and even with Nanamine Nakai had it shoved in his face (by the other assistants) that he was "alone". Hiramaru empathizes with Nakai and helps him to not be "alone" anymore. I think the whole Nakai/Aoki resolution is more a commentary on the mangaka fraternity than it is any sort of commentary on sex politics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1