• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Scientific Railgun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But let me guess, we won't get to see Touma or Index?

Touma is in the opening and his voice actor is listed for the series so he will at least make a cameo.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Checked out the first eppie and liked it. Afterwards, I checked out the first episode of Index and liked it as well. I imagine by the time Episode 3 of Railgun is available, I probably will have seen all of the original series.

I like the world of Academy City and, in terms of Railgun, I can never get enough of cute schoolgirls kicking butt. Based on the first episodes of both, they seem to have the kind of humour I enjoy. Sure a lot of it is familar stuff (i.e. pervy yuri in the case of Railgun) but I have't become so saturated with that kind of thing yet that it has become annoying.

The big question for me is how both series handles plotting. Too soon for me to tell for sure but the early signs are promising.
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I actually read the Railgun manga before I looked at Index based solely on the fact that the scanslation site I was using at the time released it before they started posting Index and thus I thought it came first. I must say, with the ammount Railgun explains and the setup of the world I was able to enjoy Index a lot more when I knew a little bit more about how everything worked.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I doubt we will be seeing him doing any psychic stuff though Wink . Probably good to check out at least first episode of original, season, if anything just for how Mikoto is introduced at first as a target of gangs. A nice twist unless you were aware before hand, that Railgun may have already expected to know. Though I do wonder if their will be any mention of Mikoto Imouto that is kind of like an expansion of her character. I don't know if you would need to know about that or the small mention of her childhood.
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Plus there was no need to reply to my quote, that was just my opinion, clearly.

True, it was your opinion, however, i was just defending my position. as I am now as well. That's how forums work.

As for Railgun, I rewatched the episode and I have a new question, which might have been answered in Index. Where is this city located? (if its even on "our" Earth)
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, dragging an offtopic conversation ain't exactly what forums are about, but ok.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Quote:
But let me guess, we won't get to see Touma or Index?

Touma is in the opening and his voice actor is listed for the series so he will at least make a cameo.

He already has made at least two cameos in the first episode - one in the restaurant and another somewhere else later on in the episode; I don't remember exactly where it was, but I'll go back and look at it later on and post the time stamp.

One site I checked out also claims that there were very brief cameos by a couple of Shakugan no Shana characters in the scene involving the crepe stand, but I have yet to confirm this. (The site also claims that there were Toradora! sightings, too, but I'm more dubious of that.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
^ This is what I'm talking about. Without seeing Index I have no idea who that guy is, nor could I point him out if i wanted. Which means I will be watching Index as soon as i can get some time.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Based on the first episode alone, I don't think having seen the original is actually necessary. This one lays enough of a foundation to make almost complete sense of the setting, so all you'd really be missing so far is a couple of cameos.

Thanks for that I will be checking this out. I had dropped original Index series as the only 'fun' aspect I found was... Misaka Makoto. Now it seems this whole series is about her - awzm!

Blood- don't be surprised if you find Index disappointing. First few episodes fooled me too.
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I was overly impressed although the only thing that annoyed me was Kuroko, I hated her as a character, it's difficult to explain but I honestly wished in The Index series she was killed/injured during the final part, but alas, they had to keep her around for Railgun...

The OP is awesome though, been listening to it all day!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
^ This is what I'm talking about. Without seeing Index I have no idea who that guy is, nor could I point him out if i wanted. Which means I will be watching Index as soon as i can get some time.

Yes, you really should watch Index, the anime was great. Annoying at some points though.
If Railgun is a spin-off based on the electricity girl then it's fundamental to watch Index and see what happened to her during the series, and how important Touma was to her.
She's the powerful heroine while Touma was the "weak" hero, considering their powers.
Besides I doubt this anime will beat the first one, but who knows.
But well, it's up to you. My recommendation is to watch Index first, while you could opt for skipping it.

Edit: A "c" added somewhere in there.

Last edited by egoist on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I'm the only one who hated this. It had its moments, yes, but the vast majority of it was incredibly dull and predictable. To Aru Majutsu no Index was watchable at least. To Aru Kagaku no Railgun's first episode, on the other hand, I found to be very, very weak and I rated this series as such before dropping it.

We need an Accelerator spin-off. I'd prefer that over this crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I mightn't have hated this but I definitely find Index better.
Yes, this anime is doing a good job at explaining the Academy City, so what. Is there a need to understand the academy city? Not for me.
Index did a decent job explaining that, while keeping us entertained with leveled fights and introducing the new characters.
If I got it right, Railgun already introduced all the characters there was to be introduced, so all that's left would be the secrets of the Academy City and one sided fights.
I really hope they give us an Index follow up after this.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Looking at wiki for where they went in the manga for this, people may actually want to wait to watch Index until Railgun is over.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Actualy I think there are still some scientests from the OP and trailer to be introduced, which I asume are the villains. I doubt there is just going to be one sided fights, that wouldnt be very interesting so they are probably going to chuck in some chalenging parts. Maybe we will even get another level 5.

They never realy explained the entire world, Index usualy kept throwing in odd situation after another, and we don't find a lot from Touma about the world. I think already they have said how much more advanced academy city is, which may have not been showen before.

Yes there were some cameos from Shana in the crepe scene, the give away is the backs of two people, one short with long black hair and the other taller with short brown hair, and their uniforms are identicle to Shana's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 72