• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Scientific Railgun (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wu Ming

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
He already has made at least two cameos in the first episode - one in the restaurant and another somewhere else later on in the episode; I don't remember exactly where it was, but I'll go back and look at it later on and post the time stamp.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Railgun is the story of what's happening to Mikoto when she's "off-camera" during Index.

It makes sense that we'll end up seeing Touma in this series when he's not fighting for his life, saving the world, etc. Unless there's a direct cross over into the events of Index somewhere in the future of Railgun.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I found to be very, very weak and I rated this series as such before dropping it.

Really? You're going to be one of those people? Rating an show down because it had a bad first episode?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
I found to be very, very weak and I rated this series as such before dropping it.

Really? You're going to be one of those people? Rating an show down because it had a bad first episode?

Well, what is he supposed to do? Rate it higher than he really thinks it deserves before dropping it?

Now, I didn't think the episode was that all that great, but I'm going to watch at least two more before deciding to drop it or not. However, if Jedi General wants to immediately rate and drop it then that is his prerogative.
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Ooootteyyyy.

I watched all of Index and rewatched e1 of Railgun. Now everything makes complete sense.

Engage spoiler/discussion mode:

spoiler[1) So the nervous SWAT (Anti Skill) girl might not be the actual Kazakiri, but it is at least a nod to the character's personality and basic looks.

2) I didn't see Toma in the episode at all. I mean, there were a lot of guys that look like him (spiky black hair), but without seeing his orange under shirt, i don't think he was around (besides the OP).

We might not see him though, depending on when the show is set. It is a "side-story" after all, but if it's after the last episode, then he's probably with Index doing whatever Laura ordered Stiyl to do with them. If it is during the show, he might be in the hospital Razz Either way, I'm thinking that if its set during the show then Toma will show up at least once. There were a lot of times when they'd be together and we'd see what he was doing, while Misaka was off screen. They could easily toss something in. ]

So yeah, from someone who didn't see Index originally, I highly suggest checking out Index if thing's aren't making sense. Everything is way more understandable now that I've seen some material.

edit:

Oh, I forgot to add:

spoiler[The glowy box thing in Kazakiri's head makes an appearance in the OP...so I'm assuming she's around somewhere (if she's not the Anti Skill SWAT nervous girl). Hmmm... brings up the question of when the show is set, doesn't it...]
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
My subs cut the OP, unfortunately. I had wondered why the filesize was so unusually small, but I thought it was some new compression method or whatnot. I didn't even know there was an OP for this episode until I read this thread. After all, there are quite a few shows that lack an OP for the first episode (either to extend the amount of time in the episode proper or because the OP is unfinished). At least there is always YouTube . . .
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The opening was used as the ending for this episode actually. At least that what I think people are referring to. Until episode two comes I can't say for sure.

Quote:
Well, what is he supposed to do? Rate it higher than he really thinks it deserves before dropping it?

Well, I personally wait at least 3-5 episodes before discarding something, one is bit too early and might not give you an accurate impression. Lots of awesome books have boring setups.
Niomo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the OP was the ED for this one for some reason. The song is called Only My Railgun at ANN's page for it. Though it's got a source error note next to it. Assuming ANN is correct, it should show up in the beginning during e2.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:

Well, I personally wait at least 3-5 episodes before discarding something, one is bit too early and might not give you an accurate impression. Lots of awesome books have boring setups.

Not all shows need that much time. Often one episode or even a preview is enough for a person to see it's not his/her cup of tea. It's not always only a question of show quality, but also personal preference. For example, I don't have to watch even one episode of Fairy Tail to know that I won't like it and won't watch it, since I drop shounen long-runs quickly anyway and usually don't even bother trying them nowadays.

Back to the topic, ep. 1 seemed like a decent setup for people who haven't seen season 1. Makes me sort of sad I made myself sit through season 1 to pick this up T___T. Hopefully it isn't just "fill-in-the-gaps" as someone here suggested, since those kind of stories tend to be poorly done. I'd rather have a spinoff story with about the two girls with hawt yuri action. So yeah, watching it as a guilty pleasure right now, may drop if busy/bored to marathon later. Index wasn't that great so the expectations for this one are pretty low anyway.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Not rate it at all.
Niomo wrote:
Yeah the OP was the ED for this one for some reason. ... Assuming ANN is correct, it should show up in the beginning during e2.

It's not terribly uncommon. It allows for an extra minute and a half of show time and prevents the OP from ruining first episode spoilers of some shows.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not all shows need that much time. Often one episode or even a preview is enough for a person to see it's not his/her cup of tea. It's not always only a question of show quality, but also personal preference. For example, I don't have to watch even one episode of Fairy Tail to know that I won't like it and won't watch it, since I drop shounen long-runs quickly anyway and usually don't even bother trying them nowadays.

If you don't do your initial required research (IE Blind watching) I see how that can happen, but most shows that simply aren't what you like can be eliminated right away by reading the plot description, genre, or watching the promo so there's no need to even watch them. Thus the only things I actually watch an episode of are the things I actually wanted to see in the first place based on those things already. Sequels and spin-offs like this one are even easier to pigeonhole, since you know to avoid them if you haven't seen or didn't like the previous show. I really don't feel the need to drop many shows really. It is usually unforeseen circumstances like too many characters I can't stand or if the pacing of the story is too slow to keep even the attention of a very patient.person such as myself. Both things that sometimes aren't discernible in a single episode.
Niomo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
E2 was....interesting? lol.
spoiler[
It was nice to see Toma in the beginning though. If I remember correctly, that scene was also in Index as well, right after he lost his memories]

It'll be interesting to see where this show goes...because right now its just a simple slice of life with no plot and some supernatural pew pew
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Eh, episode two, not very good. I'm all for character-development episodes, but this was just the same joke being played over and over again, just in different forms. The scene before the OP was completely random and useless. I haven't watched A Certain Magical Index, but even if I had it still fails. There was no reason given as to why spoiler[she was chasing him, why she thought it would be a good idea to cause thousands of dollars worth or property damage, and what happened afterwards (did she say anything to him? Where did he go?).] A completely arbitrary scene that's only there for fans of the first series, no matter how bad the scene actually was.

Ultimately, this was a bad episode, utterly classified as throwaway, and I'll drop the series if the next is no better. I know that some people have theorised that this show exists to just "fill-in-the-gaps". Well, that isn't good enough, for me at least. It desperately needs either a plot, or having the characters stop assaulting one another and actually develop, or option three is to be provide humour (seeing Kuroko fantasise or grope Mikoto for the seemingly tenth time isn't funny anymore). Of course, preferably I'd rather have at least two out of three, but I'll take what I can get.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 2.......oh GOD, Kuroko!!! Shocked

Ohhhh, Mikoto. Don't you see Kuroko only wants to share a special anniversary moment with you?!!! Crying or Very sad

That was pretty much the gist of the episode, but there were a chock full of moments!

spoiler[- Hey, it's Touma! Is this Mikoto's first encounter with him?
- Kuroko's underwear collection which obviously includes Mikoto's! Who would have thunk that? Wink
- Casablanca, anyone?
- SOOOOOOO, HNNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!
- Ahh yes, Kuroko's special photo album!
- Ohhhh, Kuroko plans on slipping a "love potion" onto Mikoto's drink in the future. So low, yet so awesome! Laughing
- Damn, I don't want to cross with that dorm mistress. That snap looks utterly painful! Shocked
- Awwww, Mikoto bought a shirt for Kuroko in order to commemorate their anniversary. Cute!
- Oh dear, Kuroko drank the one with the spiked drink which Mikoto was supposed to drink.
- Wow, now there using the full potential of teleportation; switching Mikoto's undershirt (which was in fact a matching one Kuroko got) into her school swimsuit!
- Awww yeah! Electro shock therapy. Kuroko obviously enjoys it. Cool]

Yeah, that was a fun episode! Funny thing is that I heard this was in the manga as well in a much later chapter (I think it was chapter 17). I would imagine the producers are going to pull a whammy once they hit the first story arc so I'm enjoying the ride for the moment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote
spoiler[You were pretty harsh on this. Well having Toma in there gave a sense of when the series is set. If you want to know why she attacked him, well she kind of has it in for him, he tried to convince some unwitting thugs to leave her alone to protect them. She is actualy pretty eogtistic Toma practicly mocks her, and gave her the nickname "sparky", she was upset that he was able to stop her railgun and has decided to fight him whenever she sees him.

It is part of her character that she fights him for no reason, I think it was that she actualy feels her reputation is at stake and Toma refuses to take her serously. Usualy there encounters were, "hey you", Misaka shoots electricity, Toma stops it, and either they must run from the damage she just caused because she never thinks about that, or he says he doesn't care and walks away ignoring Misaka's angry taunts. If you want to see maybe why, just check out the first episode of Index ]
It was a big part of Index, so it makes sense to include it in Railgun.

This episode looked like it was meant to highlight on the realationship between Misaka and Kuroko. It is only the second episode so it makes sense to still have some descrption of the characters. Mainlyspoiler[Kroko is quite obbsessed with Misaka, and that she wont miss a chance to get with her beloved "Onee-sama".] I quite enjoyed it, I got a better frame of mind about what to expect betweeen the two characters. Favirout scene was the underwear scene.
Niomo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Eh, episode two, not very good. I'm all for character-development episodes, but this was just the same joke being played over and over again, just in different forms. The scene before the OP was completely random and useless. I haven't watched A Certain Magical Index, but even if I had it still fails. There was no reason given as to why spoiler[she was chasing him, why she thought it would be a good idea to cause thousands of dollars worth or property damage, and what happened afterwards (did she say anything to him? Where did he go?).] A completely arbitrary scene that's only there for fans of the first series, no matter how bad the scene actually was.

Ultimately, this was a bad episode, utterly classified as throwaway, and I'll drop the series if the next is no better. I know that some people have theorised that this show exists to just "fill-in-the-gaps". Well, that isn't good enough, for me at least. It desperately needs either a plot, or having the characters stop assaulting one another and actually develop, or option three is to be provide humour (seeing Kuroko fantasise or grope Mikoto for the seemingly tenth time isn't funny anymore). Of course, preferably I'd rather have at least two out of three, but I'll take what I can get.

Unfortunately, you won't understand the deal between Toma and Misaka unless you see Index. That little 10 second half battle also tells fans when the show is set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 72