• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hellsing Ultimate BD/DVD Set 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
Because all 4 of these episodes were previously released, and the previous release(s) were referenced in the article, was hoping for comments on the packaging. I doubt that it's stackpack, but are each episode on their own DVD/BD? Did they group them? How are the discs in the case? Obviously, it's not going to be the same as 4 individual steelbook discs, but just something on how the release was done would be nice.

Additionally, in regards to the extras, are these the same extras from the original release(s), or are there new ones? If someone's debating double-dipping to get matching sets with the later volumes, this information is quite important.
imderekyup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:30 am Reply with quote
5 discs altogether, 3 dvd 2 blu-ray. The case is one of those slightly thicker blu-ray cases with two flippable pieces inside so none of the discs are stacked on top of one another. I haven't actually put them in yet so I can't tell you how the episodes are divided.
daichi383

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
Speaking of special features, that Anime Expo panel was so cringe worthy. Some of the questions you would realize clearly couldn't be answered by the panel but Jaffe did his best. I wonder where all those guys are now Rolling Eyes

Really love this series nevertheless and all the special features are fun to watch. Heres hoping Funi don't skimp on the special features for the next set.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
Speaking of special features, that Anime Expo panel was so cringe worthy. Some of the questions you would realize clearly couldn't be answered by the panel but Jaffe did his best. I wonder where all those guys are now Rolling Eyes

Really love this series nevertheless and all the special features are fun to watch. Heres hoping Funi don't skimp on the special features for the next set.

Looks lke they're not, according to Rightstuf on Set 2:

Quote:
Special Features: Episode Commentary, Dubbing Hellsing - The 10th year Anniversary Interviews, Hellsing Cast Round Table Discussion, Anime Vegas 2010 Hellsing Panel, Fans' Questions Answered, The Dawn: A Supplementary of Hellsing, Textless Closing Songs, U.S. Trailer, Previews.
daichi383

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Quote:
Special Features: Episode Commentary, Dubbing Hellsing - The 10th year Anniversary Interviews, Hellsing Cast Round Table Discussion, Anime Vegas 2010 Hellsing Panel, Fans' Questions Answered, The Dawn: A Supplementary of Hellsing, Textless Closing Songs, U.S. Trailer, Previews.

Oooh, Awesome thanks for the info Very Happy
lem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Because all 4 of these episodes were previously released, and the previous release(s) were referenced in the article, was hoping for comments on the packaging. I doubt that it's stackpack, but are each episode on their own DVD/BD? Did they group them? How are the discs in the case? Obviously, it's not going to be the same as 4 individual steelbook discs, but just something on how the release was done would be nice.

Additionally, in regards to the extras, are these the same extras from the original release(s), or are there new ones? If someone's debating double-dipping to get matching sets with the later volumes, this information is quite important.

The blu ray sound and pic quality are more than reason enough for anyone to want to buy this again. At least that's why I doubled on it. Sure the first four pretty metal cases, plaque figurines, book and whatever else I can't recall at the moment that came with the dvds are nice but I've waited years for this to come back to life in blu! It was worth the wait. If you like anything about how comics are drawn with thick black line and the sight of blood makes you squeal with glee, then this is the shit to get. On blu-ray. And even I love the dub on this puppy. Just in time for Halloween too.

The 5 disc set comes in fat blu-ray case with a slip cover

Artwork on the case proper is reversible

The three reddish brown discs are dvd - sorry, I haven't even touched them.

The two black discs are blu-ray

Blu-ray disc 1 contains 4 episodes, 4 commentaries (Crispin and Talisan provide the commentary on ep 1 - which is the only one I've had time to listen to so far)

Blu-ray disc 2 contains
Interviews - (there are 5)
with Taliesin Jaffe & Crispin Freeman,
Patrick Seitz (the Luke Valentine character) & Josh Phillips (Jan Valentine)
T. Jaffe,Victoria Hardwood (Integra) & JB Blanc (Maxwell)
T. Jaffe & Ralph Lister (Walter)
T.J & Kari Wahlgren (Rip Van Winkle)

Japanese TV Commercials

Anime Expo 2007
English Cast panel
Geneon Booth: Featuring Hellsing Mansion

Japanese Ending IV

Promotional Videos (7)

Karaoke of Major's Speech

Textless Songs

Trailers included:
Deadman Wonderland, Lost girl, Ga-Rei- Zero, Serial Experiments Lain, C-Control,
Sengoku Basara, Hellsing Ultimate and Funimation.com

Audio Options are:
English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Japanese DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles can be turned ON or OFF for either language.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
I have the first 4 Steelbook volumes from Geneon and I love them dearly so I am not double-dipping. However, I may consider picking up the next set which comes with episodes 5-8 but ONLY if there is assurances that the set after that comes with episodes 9 and 10. I want to be assured that FUNimation will follow the releases through.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Completely agree lem, this was an easy double dip for me too for the BD upgrade and the extras. Can't wait for the next set.

Like everyone else still keeping the sweet steelbook originals with the books in my collection too even if those discs won't get played as much thanks to the remastered BDs.

Shenl742 wrote:
daichi383 wrote:

Quote:

Awesome, great news Smile
NeburPT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if - and when - a similar version of this set will be launched in Europe?
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Here's an unboxing of the set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUHjE__Aoc
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Audio Options are:

It has dubtitles? Sweet! No way am I not buying this now. I've always wanted dubtitles to be standard, so the fact that they're on a release I was already intending to buy makes it easy to make the decision.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I missed the single releases because I really don't want to pay for content that contains only approximately less than an hour of material and with this brand new material, now I definitely want to go get it!

Yeah, Alucard is bloody insane but who doesn't love how incredibly badass he is as a vampire? With this coming out on Blu-ray for the first time and looking at the pretty picture, I know that I will get this into my collection real soon!
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:40 pm Reply with quote
lem and NJ_, thank you for the information on the sets.

However, I do have to take issue with this comment:
lem wrote:
The blu ray sound and pic quality are more than reason enough for anyone to want to buy this again.

I love how you assume that people have BD players, HD TVs, and want BD over DVD.[/sarcasm] My roommate, who is the one who wanted to know, nor I, have access to a BD player, and our TV has problems with clarity off of an Xbox 360's output. Neither of us can afford a new TV, nor BD player, nor do we have room for a HD TV. We're perfectly happy with DVD, and she's actually rather annoyed/upset that companies are forcing her to buy BDs just to get the DVDs she wants. And she regularly rants to me on how, for most releases, the picture quality is so minimally improved that it's not even worth it.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
lem wrote:
Audio Options are:

It has dubtitles? Sweet! No way am I not buying this now. I've always wanted dubtitles to be standard, so the fact that they're on a release I was already intending to buy makes it easy to make the decision.

Where did you get the idea that it has dubtitles? What lem meant is that the Blu-ray subtitles are not locked to the Japanese audio like some of FUNi's BDs are.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
lem wrote:
The blu ray sound and pic quality are more than reason enough for anyone to want to buy this again.

It would be if I were still interested in Hellsing Ultimate, but it's taken far too long, and my interest has waned. Heck, I imported the first three or four OVA DVDs, but I didn't continue that after the US release died. US DVD v4 came out four years ago. _If_ I buy the new OVAs again at all, it'll be as a complete 10 OVA BD set.

Quote:
Sure the first four pretty metal cases, plaque figurines, book and whatever else I can't recall at the moment that came with the dvds are nice

I pulled those out of a drawer a month ago in order to give 'em away (or throw them away if no one at the local anime club is interested).

Quote:
The 5 disc set comes in fat blu-ray case with a slip cover

Three discs too many, but that's Funimation's way of doing things. At least Sentai would probably have been releasing the DVDs and BDs separately.

Quote:
Blu-ray disc 1 contains 4 episodes, 4 commentaries (Crispin and Talisan provide the commentary on ep 1 - which is the only one I've had time to listen to so far)

Blu-ray disc 2 contains
[...]

Yeah. Not much in the extras department to grab my attention, so I wouldn't object if the extras were stripped for a complete set (not that I expect Funi to do that at all).

Quote:
Audio Options are:

I should hope that all of those would be there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2