• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kimi ni Todoke (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:

2nd episode was alright, but after such a good 1st episode I can't help but feel a little disappointed. I mean, spoiler[didn't the class already apologize to Sawako and begin to see how she really is? And now they just went right back to how they were before the 1st episode.] Oh well, the seating arrangement scene, although being beyond predictable, was done nicely.

In response to your spoiler: spoiler[yes, they did apologize, but that didn't mean that they killed off all of their doubt. It was only an apology for their action at the time, not because of howthey've treated and thought of her.]
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The feeling that I'll be watching the same thing, every episode, but with a slight moderation until the last episode. I can't complain though, I'm enjoying it. The art, character design and voice acting are all very attractive. The humor doesn't stay far behind either, though I still think that her attitude is too alike the protagonist from Wallflower.
I'll keep watching it, but definitely not for the plot. Screw that, it's hard to believe one's actually comparing the plot (one of the simpliest things in an anime like this) to another anime's plot and then coming to the conclusion this is worse.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
I also don't see where people's complaints about her voice are. I quite like it, it seems quite natureal to me, and I think it is a nice blend of humour and feeling sorry for when we hear how she reacts to other's actions.

I don't think it is quite the same in each episode, there is definetly some growth, and I actualy want to see how she reacts. I still am lookig forward to see how this is going.
elloshiions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
ah~ i just checked up on this anime. i read the summary of it online and i was like, hey, pretty interesting. i wanted to read the manga first but i came upon the anime before i got a hold of the manga. i watched the first two episodes and i was attracted to it. how sawako is trying so hard to fit in really impresses me. the characters are also really unique. i would recommend this anime, and manga!
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Just wanna throw in my hat for this show-I really like it so far (up to episode 2). All my minor complaints have been covered by others (lack of originality in plot) but who cares? The execution is so unbelievably good I can't help but be a sucker for it. On a personal level, I identify with the protagonist (yes let me inner emo shine!); sometimes I can't help but be felt misunderstood by other people solely by my appearance. Maybe that's why I'm such a sap for this show. Anyhow you can expect me to be frequenting this thread.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quote
Oh noes! spoiler[It looks like Sawako is about to encounter her first serious speed bump in her new existence with friends.] So strange how we can become so invested in anime characters, eh? I can't stand the idea of anybody being mean to her. spoiler[Oh, and how much do you want to bet that it is the girl who helped Sawako pick up the computer print-outs who is behind this? She overheard Sawako and Kazehaya on the stairs and I bet she's jealous.]
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:17 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with Blood- in the previous post, it looks as though Sawako could have some issues to deal with. But I guess one cannot grow without surviving through difficulties.

This really is a nice show. Just with two episodes I've grown to like it quite alot. This seems like the kind of show Nozomi (Right Stuf) would pick up (hint hint). The art style is different in a refreshing kind of way. It is also nice to see that even if people are a little tough in Sawako, things, for the most part, work out in the end. I'll be rooting for her through the rest of the season! Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, this arc is finished and a new one begins. It was really nice to see how Sawako slowly but surely became a more happier and confident person. Yet, just when she has managed to finally become accepted by her classmates, she is hit by the spite of one very petty girl.

I'd like to think that Yoshida and Yano trust Sawako enough to believe she didn't spread the rumours. But given how they still call her "Sadako", I'm not so sure. And a quick and painless resolution doesn't make for good drama, unfortunately. I'd also like to think that because the next episode is called "Rumors", Sawako will only have to suffer for the one episode. But again, with nine more episodes to fill up (including "Rumors"), I don't think she will get it easy for a while.

Ah, Blood- is right, she may be two-dimensional but I still don't want anything bad to happen to her. That's just how good this show is, and I'm really glad I decided to follow it.
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 left a bad taste in my mouth, I'm starting to get tired of the slow pace and Sawako saying "....Smile....arrigatoo... Anime cry .." all the time. I feel like I watched the same scene over and over again this last episode, probably because it was extremely drawn out, they could've cut to the ending scene a lot sooner or developed Sawako and whats-his-face's relationship a bit more.

I don't know if this is the best series to watch weekly, it seems best viewed in 2 or 3 episode spurts. A lot of viewers are going to be waiting all week and be disapointed by the lack of developement in the episode. Though episode 3 did have a decent cliffhanger to entice viewers, but I still feel there wasn't enough meat to this episode.

Also, the little jingle jangle that always plays is beginning to irritate me.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
Episode 3 left a bad taste in my mouth, I'm starting to get tired of the slow pace and Sawako saying "....Smile....arrigatoo... Anime cry .." all the time.

Yep, I thought about counting, but I gave up after all. I'd estimate 8.5 "arigatou" were said during this episode.

I'm glad they mentioned my first name during this episode. Arigatou!
During the scene where two girls moved the desks, the chairs seemed to be stuck to the desks? Are the chairs meant to be stuck together like that?
It's good to see them trying to draw this animation really detailed, but was that hole under the dog's tail really necessary? I think they should go for a cute outcome and leave that area in blank.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
Yeah I belive they could have left the dog's hole out of it. I am not really minding the pace and I have been a social misfit myself with little to no friends relying on others to make the first move, so I can understand why she is thanking them. Probably my favirout part of the episode was the note passing part.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
My favourite part was the looks on everyone's faces when Sawako smiled for the first time in class. The slow-motion looks of astonishment was just priceless.

And yeah, I noticed the hole in the dog's butt as well. I thought it was okay; I mean, it is an attempt to be realistic but it is also just a black dot. I wouldn't have been very forgiving if it had been too realistic, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote
Wow. *shakes head* After watching Episode 4, I'm glad I'm not in school anymore. (even though you can have similar nastiness in office situations) I was watching it this morning and I had to get going to work and intended to stop halfway through, but halfway through I realized there was no way I could just stop there, so I kept following Sawako's tortuous journey.

Without going into too much in detail, it seems like Sawako has two enemies, herself and someone who is trying to make her life hell. Whenever her hesitation to speak causes more problems than solutions it makes me want to facepalm. We see that her friends like her so much, but incomplete thoughts or sentences are causing so much agony.

This show continues to draw me in and get me emotionally involved with it. This seems like the perfect Nozomi title pickup. Already impatient for Episode 5.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Poor Sawako, she realy has trouble understanding things, it is sad that she thinks that she is harming those around her and is avoiding them for their benefit. On another note I am quite likeing the song in the OP of this series, it doesn't sound very special, but I just like the vibe.

I was hoping that the problem would be solved sooner, but it looks like it will continue for the plot a little longer. I enjoyed the scene that had Sawako looking like some kind of gang leader.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
Alas, poor, poor Sawako...to taste social happiness for the first time and then have it snatched away so quickly. Oh well, I maintain a child-like faith that everything will work out fine in the end. I'm actually coming to really like the Yano-Yoshida duo. I loved that they spoiler[didn't automatically assume that Sawako was spreading rumours about them and that even now they are more bummed out by the thought that Sawako doesn't feel the same way about them that they do about her than they are angry over the thought that she's spreading rumours.] I too am eagerly awaiting the next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 34