• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Apple: Manga App Seller Linked to Fraudulent Purchases

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how long it would have taken for Apple to catch this if it didn't overrun the top 50? Either it got way bigger than the person expected or this was always supposed to be a quick scheme.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Manga publishers are pussies. Really, there's no other way to put it. They should have been on the ball and got these apps removed ages ago. And my understanding is that it was Apple itself that removed the apps, and only after people's credit card information was stolen.

(By the way, it's ironic that people who bought illegal scanlations (ironic in itself) ended up getting their money stolen).
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
And this is why I purchase my manga in brick and wall stores. I tunes is a great store and all, but it being online is really risky because of the risk of dialer s, hackers, etc.

So either someone wasn't paying attention (by purpose or not) or this really did happen under the radar.

None the less, this isn't good news.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That really sucks for everyone who got ripped off, but it has to have sent up some flags at the various manga companies. I mean, seriously, 42 of the top 50 books were manga? Even if they were illegal scans, that represents a massive market that just proved they're willing to spend money on this.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Ha, saw this on MSN but they didn't go into details that it was manga. Just called them book apps.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
That really sucks for everyone who got ripped off, but it has to have sent up some flags at the various manga companies. I mean, seriously, 42 of the top 50 books were manga? Even if they were illegal scans, that represents a massive market that just proved they're willing to spend money on this.

Yeah, you'd think that they would put their manga on iTunes now after this.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking a bunch of you guys are confused here. Those manga scans did not reach those rankings legitamately. Hackers hacked people's accounts and bought those issues. This wasn't a case of a tonne of people buying pirated manga and then getting hacked by the seller. In this case it looks like the other way around, a seller hacking a tonne of accounts and ringing up a bunch of purchases associated to one company. There isn't some gigantic manga market on the iPhone, and the only thing manga publishers should be taking from this is that they need to patrol the App Store more often and carefully so that their work isn't pirated, as the lord knows Apple isn't going to do it.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
And here I thought the last name Nguyen was just some indonesian last name stereotype joke.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute...doesn't Apple approve all the apps that go into the marketplace? If that's the case then an Apple employee saw these apps, let them be sold, and didn't bother to make sure it was not copyright infringement.

Then, the problem that arose was about stolen credit cards and not illegal distribution. I don't think Apple would have ever cared about this if it weren't for the stolen cards.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
And here I thought the last name Nguyen was just some indonesian last name stereotype joke.

Nguyen is an incredibly common Vietnamese name. Like being Korean and named Lee.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Wait a minute...doesn't Apple approve all the apps that go into the marketplace? If that's the case then an Apple employee saw these apps, let them be sold, and didn't bother to make sure it was not copyright infringement.

Then, the problem that arose was about stolen credit cards and not illegal distribution. I don't think Apple would have ever cared about this if it weren't for the stolen cards.

I at least thought that Apple had the final say on an app because I remember reading about how apps with nudity or partial nudity were not allowed, and the only way to enforce such things is to actually look at it. It's very possible that it's like you said, that these were approved and the folks at Apple didn't know or care enough to be certain.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The App store once housed Apps that allowed people to play emulators, and such on their iPhone. Apple doesn't really care. They don't make video game software, movies, music, or books themselves that could get pirated so why bother.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't really like reading comics or manga on my computer, it's too annoying, reading and then having to move your screen around to see the rest of it. I do read comics on my computer, but only if I really want to, which is not often, since i save up for print editions.
Ariolander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Not suprising.

I have an iPad and there are little to no legal solutions to reading manga on it. It really is an amazing device for that purpose.

That being said Apple and iTunes sucks cause they censor everything except the illegal apps that link to online content but don't actually have anything themselves. *stares at Manga Rock app*

Developer: 30% of Kodansha Manga Rejected by iTunes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
Hey, look, another reason I avoid the iPod, iTunes, AppStore, and all things Mac. That's one hell of a security loophole if someone on the store can make people buy their illegal copyright infringing product without them or Apple realizing it until quit a bit of money has gone to the thief. Wow. Just... wow.

This crap gets through, meanwhile Steve Jobs and his crew are more concerned about censoring two men kissing in a comic.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/06/15/the-apple-ipad-flip-flips-on-censoring-two-comic-books

Steve Jobs, our digital generation's Fredric Wertham? I don't get it. So many Mac users claim to be liberal and against giant corporations, yet they continue to support this one and its attempt to cleanse and censor the medium of comics in this digital age. You know, among Apples other various sketchy activity. Any other company they'd be up in arms over much less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2