• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks, Section23 Add To Love-Ru Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, luckily, it was a lousy show to begin with.

Sad what the mangaka went through with his now ex-wife over this whole thing.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
How the heck does this come over to the states before Reborn and Gintama?

FUNi will probably announce they have Reborn as soon as they are done with the likes of D.Gray-Man and Soul Eater.
Gintama is unlikley to make it over here due to the nature of the show.

As for this news, I think it's great.
For me, dubs are not a concern, just an added extra, so I'm pretty happy with how Sentai are operating. My only niggle is cramming too much content on one disc (5 eps max please).
Apart from that, I hope they keep up the good work as they are clearly doing well from a finanicial perspective.
As for the people saying they hope they crash and burn due to no dubs, you have no right to call youselves fans of anime. It's like me saying I hope FUNi crashes and burns since I don't like how they handles their releases... Confused
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Well, luckily, it was a lousy show to begin with.

Sad what the mangaka went through with his now ex-wife over this whole thing.

What happened with the mangaka? All I know is SJ pulled the plug on the manga a few weeks ago due to low ratings, and the fact it was a ecchi manga in a more action themed mag.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
What does other people think of To Love-Ru.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
How the heck does this come over to the states before Reborn and Gintama?

FUNi will probably announce they have Reborn as soon as they are done with the likes of D.Gray-Man and Soul Eater.
Gintama is unlikley to make it over here due to the nature of the show.

As for this news, I think it's great.
For me, dubs are not a concern, just an added extra, so I'm pretty happy with how Sentai are operating. My only niggle is cramming too much content on one disc (5 eps max please).
Apart from that, I hope they keep up the good work as they are clearly doing well from a finanicial perspective.
As for the people saying they hope they crash and burn due to no dubs, you have no right to call youselves fans of anime. It's like me saying I hope FUNi crashes and burns since I don't like how they handles their releases... Confused

Dude, you're barking up the wrong tree here. I've tried to make this point so many times, but none of "if they won't dub, they deserve to die" people will listen. They are extremely selfish and would rather have everyone deprived of a show, than let some of us enjoy it. They don't care about anyone but themselves.

You could have official figures here showing a title only moved a thousand copies and wouldn't have made money if dubbed, and they wouldn't care. They would rather have the anime market completely dead, then have anime being presented in a way they don't like.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
What happened with the mangaka? All I know is SJ pulled the plug on the manga a few weeks ago due to low ratings, and the fact it was a ecchi manga in a more action themed mag.

I'll answer this one. This is from a post over at NSFW Doujin-Moe and 4chan:

Quote:
The manga was cancelled because of legal problems with the ex-wife of (Yabuki) Kentaro:

""LateBloomer from OneManga forums said:
Here are the details. It's quite a well-known story, actually.

- There is this person called Nakamura Ine who is quite famous on the Nico Nico website (a large Japanese online community somewhat like Youtube), who turned out to be a minor (last year in high school) and also insinuated that he has something going on with a Kashiwagi Shiho.

- Now this Shiho was the wife of Yabuki Kentaro, the author of To-Love-Ru. She met Yabuki when he was looking for assistants, seduced him and ended up becoming his wife and gave birth to a daughter.

- But she hardly did any house work, neglected her daughter, and spent most of her days in front of a computer spending time in Nico Nico etc.

- January 2009, when Yabuki was sick with flu and bedridden, she kidnapped her own daughter and disappeared, and it turned out that she left her daughter at her parents' place while she was doing this and that with Ine.

- February 2009, Yabuki 'begged' Shiho to return for the sake of their daughter, and Shiho did return to Tokyo, but few days later she dropped out once again with the girl, this time taking a notebook computer and Yabuki's credit cards. Yabuki later stopped the cards, but a large sum of money was already taken out.

- Yabuki looked for them everywhere, but to no avail. March 2009, Shiho demanded a divorce on the grounds of personality clash and a large chunk of Yabuki's assets, but when the evidence of her infidelity was discovered on her computer, she then changed her stance and demanded money in exchange for the custody right of the daughter.

- Realizing it would take over a year to settle things, Yabuki accepted her conditions and got the daughter back.

- Haruna Sairenji was based on Kashiwagi Shiho, and there is a reason why her role was reduced dramatically since volume 13, and Yui getting more prominent. And apparently Shiho has sued/demanded more money for the character of Haruna recently.

- A comment of Yabuki's while this was all happening: "While I was working hard on a manga that was focused on taking young girls' panties off, another man was taking my wife's panties off."

EDIT: I forgot to mention that following the dispute over Haruna's character right, Yabuki feared his daughter getting hurt by all the debacle, so he accepted Shiho's demand yet again and ended the series prematurely.
Yes, life can be so sordid sometimes.""

Source: MyAnimeList
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn Damn Damn! They strike again! Nice job at always ruining everything....

I totally agree. They keep picking up all these good series or ones im interested and releasing them in f***ing sub-only sets. No dub means no sale for me with few exceptions.

I kinda wish they would go back and dub some of their better selling series. Didn't Matt Greenfield say awhile back not to completely rule out the possibility of a dub for Clannad, because the sub-only sets sold pretty well so Sentai was considering it?

Why don't you chill and be patient. Give Section23 time, they're going to get back to dubbing soon. They need another partnership for that.
Loganator456

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
YAY! Now all they need to liscence is Rosario + Vampire and a few others and my dream will come true. xD
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
As for "Snickering Fat Guy" getting To-Love-Ru? That anime in general?

Well let me start by saying how much of a shame it is to mislabel works like To-Love-Ru and Rosario+Vampire as "shounen." They're NOT "shounen." "Shounen" is when the male lead is focused on getting strong and defeating the bad guy, not to look under as many skirts as possible. "Shounen" is Busou Renkin, Bleach, D.Gray-Man, and Houshin Engi.

To-Love-Ru is potpourri ecchi romance-comedy (along with R+V) that's not very funny at all IMMHO. It should flop in Shounen Jump. How did it get in there in the first place? That series, and R+V, should be "all-the-way" hentai; not "never gonna get it" ecchi. Sad
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:16 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
What does other people think of To Love-Ru.

Well, you can start here: anime#9091

If you like otaku shows... basically a harem of high school girls, all of them cute, most of whom are in love with one guy who may or may not deserve their affection, who fairly constantly fall into semi-sexual situations with said guy by accident (whereupon they blush, and optionally kick him hard into the nearest wall), most of whom will never actually express their love directly (and the guy will never figure it out), all of whom absolutely must a.) go to the beach and b.) go to an outdoor hotsprings once per season...

...then you will love it Smile

Seriously, it's a decent example of this type of show. Contains no real drama (i.e., it's a comedy, not Air-Kanon-Clannad style dramedy), so nothing to be taken seriously. You can turn off any analytical or angsty portion of your brain. And if you simply don't expect anything more from it, it's certainly worth watching. The animation is good enough, and it is mildly amusing to possibly even funny depending on how many of these shows you've already seen. In other words, how many times you've seen the premise and bag of events, gags and character types pulled from the same box.

If you can't enjoy these types of shows, then definitely spend your money elsewhere...
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Bunch of bawwing and whining babies here. Those who don't like subs are just too lazy to read, or don't have enough of an attention span to watch a show with subs.

You said it man. They have no dignity and are infantile morons who think the R1 market has the pockets of other mediums.

As for To-Love-Ru. I actaully wrote down a lists of anime license that I thoerized that ADV/Section 23 would license in the near future. So it's time to cross it out. Next up: Sumomomo Momomo!
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Alright! More subbed only anime! Maybe they can save more money by pandering to the truly hardcore and release it raw only.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
im so sick of subed only why can't they dub it
Because you guys didn't buy things in years past.

I still want Gintama to be licensed.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

Holy crap (sorry about my pick of words)

Thats why it ended? over something on the internet that turned in to some cheating scandle?

I mean thats pretty, interesting I always thought it was do to the ratings the series got that it ended, not a law suit by his wife.

I mean that series could have gone on for 100's of chapters more if they got more plot in. (they never finished up the Black stuff or anything on Yami's past ) plus the fact it was Black Cat but in harem form.
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Loganator456 wrote:
YAY! Now all they need to liscence is Rosario + Vampire and a few others and my dream will come true. xD

Actually if anyone should license the R+V anime,it should be Viz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7