• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks, Section23 Add To Love-Ru Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
1. I know that if Sentai didn't pick up To-Love-Ru, it wouldn't be here, but who wants to watch an absurdly cheap DVD where you can't understand what everyone's saying because there's no English language option on the DVD?

So you didn't understand the show when you watch it subbed? Then why are you even interested in it.
Quote:
2. ADV had an awesome range of VAs for their dubs. Sentai is just skipping out on them. If we had more VAs in Sentai's animes, they'd get more money's worth.

Sentai is just another one of ADV's shells. This is ADV making the decision not to dub it.
Quote:
3. A dub can gaiin a wider audience, which can allow Sentai to keep dubbing, and take back ADV's success that FUNimation stole.
Wider audience, sure. Enough to sell 3000+ copies worth just to justify the cost of a dub? How about you put up the money to do it if you think it's a valid investment. (I invite any dub fan to put up the money to dub any intended to be sub-only series and lets see if you even come close to making back your investment.)

And FUNi didn't steal anything. FUNi made the right business choices, ADV didn't. Simple as that.

I do agree with a lot you had to say, but you do realize that ADV doesn't exsist anymore right? ADV can't exactly make a decision when it's no longer in business.

And entertainment comes down to a lot more than good decisions. A lot of it is luck. Funimation would probably be out of business today, if DBZ hadn't taken off. And it took years to do so. I'm not saying ADV didn't make any bad decisions, obviously they did. I just think you oversimplified it with that statement.

You're saying the label right? The label "ADV" is definelty dead. The company is still alive, what you were trying to convey to Bayoab is that Sentai is an investor and subtitle shop run by John Ledford. ADV and Sentai are completely different not one and the same.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I do think they should make dubs for these shows. They can hire some college actors and use low quality equipment. It will be crude, but they can make a dub. Would people be happy then? Technically, everyone wins. Tactical victory. I think it's worth a shot, plus it'll bring in some new talent.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
1. I know that if Sentai didn't pick up To-Love-Ru, it wouldn't be here, but who wants to watch an absurdly cheap DVD where you can't understand what everyone's saying because there's no English language option on the DVD?

So you didn't understand the show when you watch it subbed? Then why are you even interested in it.
Quote:
2. ADV had an awesome range of VAs for their dubs. Sentai is just skipping out on them. If we had more VAs in Sentai's animes, they'd get more money's worth.

Sentai is just another one of ADV's shells. This is ADV making the decision not to dub it.
Quote:
3. A dub can gaiin a wider audience, which can allow Sentai to keep dubbing, and take back ADV's success that FUNimation stole.
Wider audience, sure. Enough to sell 3000+ copies worth just to justify the cost of a dub? How about you put up the money to do it if you think it's a valid investment. (I invite any dub fan to put up the money to dub any intended to be sub-only series and lets see if you even come close to making back your investment.)

And FUNi didn't steal anything. FUNi made the right business choices, ADV didn't. Simple as that.

I do agree with a lot you had to say, but you do realize that ADV doesn't exsist anymore right? ADV can't exactly make a decision when it's no longer in business.

And entertainment comes down to a lot more than good decisions. A lot of it is luck. Funimation would probably be out of business today, if DBZ hadn't taken off. And it took years to do so. I'm not saying ADV didn't make any bad decisions, obviously they did. I just think you oversimplified it with that statement.

You're saying the label right? The label "ADV" is definelty dead. The company is still alive, what you were trying to convey to Bayoab is that Sentai is an investor and subtitle shop run by John Ledford. ADV and Sentai are completely different not one and the same.

No ADV is dead and gone! Try going to their website. They liquidated their assets and shuffled everything around to new companies. Anime Network went to one company, APM became Seraphym Digital Studios, ADV's licenses were transferred to AeSir, and Section 23 was formed as a distributor for AeSir, Sentai, and Switchblade. Didn't you see the press release a few weeks back?

Anyway, the new companies are still run by the same people, with the exception of Switchblade, which seems to be someone else's company that only worked with ADV and Section 23. John Ledford is listed as the primary contact for Sentai, but other than that, we have no idea as to the legal make up of all the new companies. But for legal purposes they are all separate, and ADV is gone.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
I kinda wish they would go back and dub some of their better selling series. Didn't Matt Greenfield say awhile back not to completely rule out the possibility of a dub for Clannad, because the sub-only sets sold pretty well so Sentai was considering it?

I'm not sure why he thought so. It seems almost irrational. The only thing good sales, or specifically profits, logically suggests is that the sub-only trend is even stronger

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I do think they should make dubs for these shows. They can hire some college actors and use low quality equipment. It will be crude, but they can make a dub. Would people be happy then? Technically, everyone wins. Tactical victory. I think it's worth a shot, plus it'll bring in some new talent.

Hey if amateurs can give the same performance as say, Black Lagoon, then I'm all for it.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

No. I love English dubs in anime and videogames but what you are suggesting is just wrong. I mean if that were the case of hiring people who just got out of high school for cheap then I say pick me since i've always had an interest in dubbing in anime but I wouldn't want to sound horrible so it would be better if I just went through the whole process on how all of the other English dub voice actors have to go through before becoming a pro.

I rather just have them get money off of these releases and then when ready hire some English dub voice actors who know what they are doing. Sure I rather have all of these Sentai releases dub but the economy right now doesn't agree with me and beggers can't be choosers in this world.

But anyways though ever since I heard about the PSP game for To Love Ru I've always wanted to see the anime and now I can.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

That's horrible. About the only good thing I can think of from that is that maybe this means that he'll go and make Black Cat part 2 like he's thought about doing in the past. But what a horrible way for a story to have to end. I haven't read all of To-Love Ru yet, so I don't know how poor an ending it gets, but there's no way that it's as good as what was originally planned if he was forced to end it on short notice. It's hard enough to find good endings as it is. I truly feel sorry for him. He got royally ripped off on so many levels, and his fans get hit by some of it too. At least the woman's reputation is probably in shambles now. I hate to think ill thoughts of people, but if that account of events is at all accurate, it's hard to think nice thoughts about her.

The ending for the manga was rushed out of no where a lot of fans got up set that they only gave one 20 page chapter for the ending out of the blue. spoiler[It ended in the Harem ending style. Rito never picked any one but he finally said he had feelings for Lala and Haruna both equally. So going up to Haruna to confuses, he screams out I love you and it gets misheard as he loves every one ]
I mean not the greatest ending but it worked
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

That's horrible. About the only good thing I can think of from that is that maybe this means that he'll go and make Black Cat part 2 like he's thought about doing in the past. But what a horrible way for a story to have to end. I haven't read all of To-Love Ru yet, so I don't know how poor an ending it gets, but there's no way that it's as good as what was originally planned if he was forced to end it on short notice. It's hard enough to find good endings as it is. I truly feel sorry for him. He got royally ripped off on so many levels, and his fans get hit by some of it too. At least the woman's reputation is probably in shambles now. I hate to think ill thoughts of people, but if that account of events is at all accurate, it's hard to think nice thoughts about her.

The ending for the manga was rushed out of no where a lot of fans got up set that they only gave one 20 page chapter for the ending out of the blue. spoiler[It ended in the Harem ending style. Rito never picked any one but he finally said he had feelings for Lala and Haruna both equally. So going up to Haruna to confuses, he screams out I love you and it gets misheard as he loves every one ]
I mean not the greatest ending but it worked

Almost as bad as Mx0's sudden ending. God, poor Yasuhiro Kanō just can't catch a break.

Not as sad as Yabuki's dilemma, granted, but I still liked that series. Always wished that was an anime instead. Oh well.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
I think I should the manga first before seeing the anime. That is, I will know more about the story.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Neutral You know what? Igive up. Sentai is still a small company, so it can't afford dubbing at this time, but I'm sure they'll get some of ADV's old VAs once they get enough money to start hiring people to dub the properties they've already licensed.

And Megiddo, if you disagree with me, you can go to hell.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I think that once Sentai/Section23 has enough capital to fund dubbing anime then they will do it, but not for something niche and generic like To-LOVE-Ru. It would have to be something that was surefire to sell enough copies to generate a profit..
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
pparker: I'm actually surprised that RV didn't get picked up first, to be honest, since there's a manga of it out right now. Does this mean TLR the manga's gonna be published soon? Anyway, I doubt it's an issue of cheap licenses as much as FUNimation's more interested in the next DBZ, while ADSentai wants to sell stuff fans would actually want to watch. I think Nozomi's more of a boutique company, and it generally only goes for shows with some class.

RV must have been passed on by VIZ. All speculation, but pretty accurate. RV is one of those series everyone talks about, but no one will buy. It isn't a Haruhi Suzumiya.

I don't know if Sentai wants to take out Bandai for the biggest moe distributor, but they have to remember this ain't Japan. We don't buy guitars just because the girls from K-On play them.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention that fans of the manga of R+V will most likely be rather angry at how crappy an adaptation of the manga the first series was (I haven't seen Capu, so dunno about that one).
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:49 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
RV must have been passed on by VIZ. All speculation, but pretty accurate. RV is one of those series everyone talks about, but no one will buy. It isn't a Haruhi Suzumiya.

I still wouldn't rule them out. Seems like Viz can take a sweet long time on many properties.

Quote:
I don't know if Sentai wants to take out Bandai for the biggest moe distributor, but they have to remember this ain't Japan. We don't buy guitars just because the girls from K-On play them.

No, we buy figures instead. seriously.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
we buy figures instead. seriously.

Wow. I was otherwise engaged and missed this article at the time. That explains a lot. Everything in fact, in terms of DVDs. Besides FMA and the big name TV shonen shows, only 2 other anime series even show up on the list, both from 2001 (in the 2007 top sellers). This is a wacked market. Not to mention the entire market is less than one Hollywood blockbuster (which I heard someone say), or 3 weeks of revenue at my last employer (not even in the Fortune 100). What's even stranger, is I own over 700 anime titles on DVD, about a third of those being multi-disc collections, and the only ones of mine on that list are FMA, Outlaw Star and Escaflowne, and some of the Ghibli. I really wonder how many of my DVDs were actual losers that were subsidized by the top 20. The majority, I would bet.

But I had no idea of the size of the goods market here. Approaching 10X the DVD market. I don't know who is selling these items, whether Japanese companies directly or U.S./Canadian companies, but I have to wonder why any company would only be in the anime DVD market and not in merchandise.

The sub-only trend makes far more sense than it already did. It's like the business is analogous to Hollywood, except anime hasn't had a new hit since FMA. Duh, I guess that's what people have been saying, but I just never saw any real numbers (assuming these are somewhat reliable).

The fact that we are getting TLR, or any of the niche anime, on DVD at all is amazing in itself. Dubs? You gotta be crazy. And with the fall in revenue from 2002 to 2007, there's just no wondering at all why companies have failed. That's way too many series published at far too few sales to sustain such a relatively tiny industry.
Loganator456

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:

I still wouldn't rule them out. Seems like Viz can take a sweet long time on many properties.

Quote:

No, we buy figures instead. seriously.
I'd pay great money for both seasons of R+V, and any others of the series that I really like. ;D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7