Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Strike Witches DVDs to Be Unedited


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mario1234567



Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 612

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote
At least some people are doing there job right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chicogrande



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Posts: 190
Location: Huntsville, Alabama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Alright! Me and the other poster are fired up by this news! Whooo! Fanservice!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sailorsean



Joined: 20 May 2006
Posts: 293

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
sweetness! I deff can't wait for the uncut dvds!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
icepick314



Joined: 23 Aug 2004
Posts: 486
Location: Back in the Good Ol' US of A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
personally i'm waiting for blu-ray version myself...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nebs



Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Posts: 382
Location: University of Illinois

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
It's worth mentioning though that the version Funimation is currently streaming is still less edited than the one shown on Crunchyroll & YouTube from last year.

Personally I'm surprised that Funi had access to the TV version at all. Usually they only get the DVD masters of a series when licensing a title, & the TV version wouldn't be a part of that. (Ecchi stuff on Naruto has been edited in both the Japanese & American broadcast versions, but the American edits differed since Viz self-edited the DVD version of the eps themselves because they didn't have access to the Japanese edited TV version.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Splitter



Joined: 19 May 2003
Posts: 1188
Location: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
It kind of irks me that this is even an issue. It's not like nudity is anything new to anime, and chances are the people watching it already have a good idea what kind of show they are watching. I went to FUNi's site and I can't find anything that suggests there were complaints. Most people were actually cheering them for going unedited.

I think what's really funny is this is a problem, but Spice and Wolf is getting TV-PG even though Holo's in the buff most of Ep. 1.


Last edited by Splitter on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge



Joined: 13 Sep 2003
Posts: 1018
Location: British Columbia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that they made this decision for this particular series, but I hope that Funimation doesn't make a habit out of streaming censored videos in order to sell uncut DVDs. By now they should realize that they can stream material that hasn't been censored and not hurt profits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mozychan



Joined: 01 Apr 2009
Posts: 40
Location: Utah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
It's worth mentioning though that the version Funimation is currently streaming is still less edited than the one shown on Crunchyroll & YouTube from last year.


Incorrect. I ran them side-by-side yesterday and they are identical.

-moose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Space Butler XIII



Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
It kind of irks me that this is even an issue. It's not like nudity is anything new to anime, and chances are the people watching it already have a good idea what kind of show they are watching.


You're right that nudity is nothing new to anime, but that's not the issue here. If the characters weren't under the age of 18, then their nudity wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not a fan of censorship, but child pornography is where I draw the line. I can't even believe this got licensed in the first place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Splitter



Joined: 19 May 2003
Posts: 1188
Location: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
I'm glad that they made this decision for this particular series, but I hope that Funimation doesn't make a habit out of streaming censored videos in order to sell uncut DVDs. By now they should realize that they can stream material that hasn't been censored and not hurt profits.


Why do you feel the need to differentiate? Most nudity in anime is of teenagers, and Strike Witches is no exception. It seems to me more people have a problem with nudity in the "moe" style than nudity in general, which just reeks of hypocrisy. It's okay to exploit women in one style by not another? Give me a break.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Apterous



Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
OMG they took my boobies away! Where do I gets B00BIEZ on teh INTERNETS?

...because really, was that supposed to be the selling point of the DVDs? Underage boobies? Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Splitter



Joined: 19 May 2003
Posts: 1188
Location: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
OMG they took my boobies away! Where do I gets B00BIEZ on teh INTERNETS?

...because really, was that supposed to be the selling point of the DVDs? Underage boobies? Rolling Eyes


That was the selling point for Shuffle!... that and chatchki panties.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess



Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Posts: 1484

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
OMG they took my boobies away! Where do I gets B00BIEZ on teh INTERNETS?

...because really, was that supposed to be the selling point of the DVDs? Underage boobies? Rolling Eyes

No. Underage panties (and lack of them) are the selling point of this show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Splitter



Joined: 19 May 2003
Posts: 1188
Location: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Apterous wrote:
OMG they took my boobies away! Where do I gets B00BIEZ on teh INTERNETS?

...because really, was that supposed to be the selling point of the DVDs? Underage boobies? Rolling Eyes

No. Underage panties (and lack of them) are the selling point of this show.


Oh come on, Musical Panties was hilarious Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DPX



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 118

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Space Butler XIII wrote:
Splitter wrote:
It kind of irks me that this is even an issue. It's not like nudity is anything new to anime, and chances are the people watching it already have a good idea what kind of show they are watching.


You're right that nudity is nothing new to anime, but that's not the issue here. If the characters weren't under the age of 18, then their nudity wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not a fan of censorship, but child pornography is where I draw the line. I can't even believe this got licensed in the first place.


*Face desk*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group