• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Halloween recomendations thread.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Hello people, I'm looking for some good Halloween themed anime to cover me until the night of Halloween in which I wanna watch a nice movie on halloween night.

Are there any suggestions for me to watch? Preferably in movie format?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Recommendation threads aren't allowed, but if you work on it a bit more you probably would get through with it, since halloween is near.
If by halloween you meant anime consisted of witches, demons, vampires, werewolf and other monsters, I could suggest a few.
The recent Soul Eater, involving demon weapons, witches, witch/demon hunters. Really funny in the beginning, but lost its touches along the way, nobody was sure if this anime was comedy or what when it came out. Overall, the two seasons were good, worth watching. You have nearly 25 days to watch the 51 episodes, enjoy.
Princess Resurrection also features a whole bunch of mythical monsters, even the phoenix. The anime focus mostly on vampires and werewolves. I don't recall seeing any witches, or was there any I forgot about. Good series, not enjoyable to all.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Perfect Blue would make for a good psychological thriller movie to watch as the movie's direction does well at creating suspense from messing with your perceptions over what is taking place with Mima leaving you wondering if whether or not she's flipping out over the pressure in her career shift to being an actress while dealing with a deranged stalker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any movies but I have a show that is fairly "October" themed. I don't recommend this series often for various reasons, like the some of the yuri(lesbian) stuff, and the bad guys reciting the bible out of context, but it is a fairly good show.

Kannazuki No Miko (Priestess' of the Godless Month [meaning October], newly released as Destiny of The Shrine Maiden. The atmosphere is really spooky, the Orichi, whom are eight parts of a whole, never fail to creep me out. This 13 episode show is loaded with Japanese mythology which is interesting. It plays up the love story but the creepy element never really goes away. It won't keep you from sleeping but by the end of the show you may be tempted check to see if your door is locked.

Last edited by sailorsarah08 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Blood: The Last Vampire actually set during Halloween? It has the feel of an American horror movie in any case, but that might also be because it takes place on an American military base. Anyway, it seems appropriately creepy for a Halloween-themed anime viewing.

Sailor Sarah - Did we watch the same Kannazuki No Miko? I don't remember anything horrific from it.

I agree that Ghost Hunt is a good choice for this endeavor, especially since the last two arcs are the scariest Shocked
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
It was not horrific, but it was certainly a bit creepy. I am not saying it's a horrow show, but it has a dark air to it.

Spirited Away might be fun to show a younger person around Halloween. Not going to scare them, but it is still a nice view of the spirit world. This is for the faint of heart, so they don't feel left out. Very Happy
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I don't have movies to name off but I know some series that may be "Halloween-ish"

Whey they Cry Higurashi- Ok this isn't really halloween themed, but it has the pace and story of a bloody mystery movie you would see around halloween.

Ghost Stories English dub - again not very halloween themed, but it deals with ghosts and the English dub is sure to make any one's day.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Me and my friends marathoned Ghost Hunt last year on Halloween (also Blair Witch Project and the original Halloween), and we had a blast. An amusing personal experience: in the second story arc when the spoiler[doll is rolling off the bed and towards the camera, me and my friends were tense, because creepy children/dolls particularly freak us out. The moment the doll hit the camera, a loud BANG! came from the next room, and my friend's dog raced into the room like a rocket. We all jumped, it caught us way off guard Laughing (turns out a shelf collapsed).] But yeah, the series does a great job with creeping you out if you're into haunted buildings and such (and the story arcs are 2-4 episodes, so good places to leave off if you can't finish it).

So I'd recommend Ghost Hunt for the reasons I mentioned above, and like ninjapet said, Ghost Stories is great (in the dub) if you want a hilarious comedy that happens to have ghosts/demons/etc. in it.

For this Halloween, I'm bringing Hell Girl, Zodiac, the original The Haunting, and maybe the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. My friend might bring over xxxHolic as well (I would have brought When They Cry, but never got around to buying it yet). We should be in for a good time. Smile
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Hell Girl isn't really that creepy, despite the name. Most episodes also aren't very uplifting, so I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a fun-with-friends party. Don't get me wrong, I think it's very much worth watching, just that it would fit better in another anime night that isn't especially festive.
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Isn't Blood: The Last Vampire actually set during Halloween? It has the feel of an American horror movie in any case, but that might also be because it takes place on an American military base. Anyway, it seems appropriately creepy for a Halloween-themed anime viewing.

Yes it takes place on Halloween and I highly recommend it. Another movie that takes place on Halloween is the Cowboy Bebop movie. Which is really worth a watch/re-watch around Halloween, although it's not scary or anything.

Other Suggestions:

Ghost Hunt - It's a horror/drama mystery series, that's very spooky at times. It perfect for Halloween IMO.

NightWalker - This is a great crime drama/horror series, about a vampire detective and people who work with him. It's a little episodic, but it's a great watch. Some episodes are better then others, but they are all great.

Petshop of Horrors - This was a great little supernatural/horror anime. My only problem with it, is I wish there was more of it. It's such a good anime, with some really creepy stories.

Red Garden - This is a mystery/supernatural horror series about 4 girls who died, but are given a second chance at life, as long as they go around killing monsters. It's got some great characters, and a perfect ending. Well worth a watch around Halloween.

Last edited by Prede on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ya' know what? I'm just gonna' add this to the Recommendations sticky. We get people asking about Halloween and Christmas anime every year as it is. Remember to put reasons for said titles or your post will be deleted on sight.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
edit: didn't see ninjapets post... so mines a little redundant.
Higurashi no naku koro ni (When They Cry)
While not exactly "Halloween", this show is way more intense than most modern horror movies. Right from the shows OP, you can tell this ones gonna be a bit creepy. While there is some weird supernatural stuff going on, this show's horror is built on suspense and really intense violence (though it doesn't get too gory). I guess theres something always a little unnerving about psycho kids, and this anime is no different.

As for a movie, well why not go in the totally opposite direction and watch something like Kiki's Delivery Service? Granted its family friendly, but its a good movie that features a witch. Very appropriate if you want a horror-less Halloween.

But if it is the chills you want, then I fully agree with Ggultra2764's suggestion of Perfect Blue. Its really unsettling, and you will definitely not forget it anytime soon. If you've never seen it, you are in for a disturbing good time (absolutely not for kids!) watch the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Rj7nn0ZVs
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
Boogiepop Phantom (TV)

Depressed teens die in strange and related ways. Spooky as heck, but a tad confusing. Visually very dark.

Hellsing (TV or OVA)

A powerful vampire called "Alucard" kills monsters for the Hellsing organisation. Lots of spurting blood and crazy fighting in the OVA, more atmosphere and character in the TV.

Ninja Scroll
(movie or TV)

A slightly out-there suggestion, I realise, but as the dominant theme of the movie is fighting against wild-looking demons and monsters, I think it's appropriate. The TV is more of the same (with a bit less blood and perversion).

Paranoia Agent (TV)

A serial killer is stalking Tokyo, but does he really exist? Strange and off-kilter, with social commentary.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
I probbly would say good chhoices are both Hellsing series, and Devil May Cry. Both involve Demonic monsters and even stronger demonic heros.

Bakemonogatari might be another interesting one, has a dark atmosphere, yet is quirky and interesting characters. Added with a supernatureal theme that at times keeps you guessing, many are calling show of the year.

And maybe Rosario + Vampire which has a lot monsters, and I guess the enviroment actualy is quite Halloween theme. With everything from Vampires, witches, werewolves and Succubus, though quite a bit of fanservice.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
The Vampire Hunter D movies may be to your liking. The title pretty much says it all. They're about a Vampire Hunter named D. There are many things that would typically be associated with Halloween. It's dark-themed and has plenty of supernatural creatures. D is also a half vampire.

The first one is a little old(it's from the 80s), but it's still a good show. The second is more recent(2000 I think).
I found them both to be entertaining.

Kakurenbo maybe. It's a short film though. It's entertaining and kind of interesting. It's basically about the Japanese Oni tag game, only with a bit of a supernatural twist to it.

It's harder to provide things when you restrict it to movies. I'll think on it some more.

I'm going to put a vote in for When They Cry as well. Even though it's not a movie it's separated into multiple arcs. You don't have to watch all of the arcs as each one is just an alternate way of telling a $%#@ed up story using the same characters.

Last edited by Ralifar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2