• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - A Whole New World

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
this is turning out just like every single Aniplex thread. we argue over the same thing week after week and im amazed that any of you still watch it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
this is turning out just like every single Aniplex thread. we argue over the same thing week after week and im amazed that any of you still watch it.

I think you posted in the wrong thread. The Aniplex thread is this way.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
nah, i like this thread better
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
Back now from my weekend business so I finally have time to properly reply to this.

dtm42 wrote:
Key wrote:
And you get so incredibly overzealous about trying to pick shows apart and make big deals of things that aren't actually a problem (or at least not a big problem) that I'm amazed that you can still enjoy anything anime-related.

Says the guy who made a big deal out of Usagi Drop's final two episodes.

???? Okay, you've lost me here. I even went back and looked as the series discussion thread and I still have no idea what you're referring to.

Quote:
No, I want you to see it as a problem in the first place instead of defending it. I said that Scrapped Princess is still a good show after those two episodes, but you refuse to even acknowledge that it could have been better handled.

Maybe because there was actually nothing wrong with it?

Look, clearly we disagree on whether or not there was a problem here. (And I will point out, as Fencedude5609 mentioned, that no one has ever complained about this part of the series before that I'm aware of.) It's best we leave it at that.

Quote:
I'm saying that you don't consider any evidence that doesn't match your preconceptions, even if it is right there in front of you. Evidence being the show we all are actually watching.

And I could say the same of you. But this just turns this point into a childish back-and-forth, so I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
Putting to one side the technical terms which these characters wouldn't be expected to know, none of the siblings even understood the general gist of it, not even when Senes put it very simply in episode thirteen around the 09:50 mark.

Still beyond anything they have experience with. I don't see why you have such a hard time comprehending that someone could have so much trouble understanding something so mind-blowing.

Quote:
Pacifica still thought spoiler[demons and not humans had constructed the Skid at episode thirteen 15:34 mark.]

And then she corrected herself and said it the correct way just a few seconds after that. So what?

Quote:
To have three exposition/infodumping scenes - the bridge (which has two bouts), the power core and the starry sky - in just an episode and a half is annoying as heck. Yes, new information is introduced each time, but old information is also repeated as well. And I still don't think that Pacifica understood what was going on. After all the careful foreshadowing it was painful to see the series do this. Obviously a lot of information to get across, but it was so clunky.

Again we disagree here. The world was pretty much set up to prevent humans from ever realizing any of this, the Casulls had no other ways to learn this information than someone like Senes and Eirote laying it out for them. The reason for the repetition is also simple: this is spread out over three episodes our time and apparently a day or more their time. (I was incorrect earlier when I said only two, as I forgot that episode 13 was also part of it.) Had you watched the series as was airing - with the episodes a week apart - I think you might have had a different impression of how much of a problem this was. In a mechanical sense, the repetition serves the same purpose as a recap at the beginning of an episode: to help the audience keep track. In a character sense, Senes and Eirote were trying to show how one thing led to another and everything was connected, so if you're not going to have a conversation about a difficult subject all at one time then naturally you'd review before going on. This is standard practice in education; I did it on an almost daily basis when teaching difficult math concepts, for instance. So as irritating and "clunky" as you may find it, the approach is based on sound educational practices. (Not that Senes would likely know anything about that!)

Quote:
I was very disappointed with Senes and Eirote using those big technical words in the first place when they were explaining. I can understand the Dragoons using them - they aren't human, after all - but Senes and Eirote must have known how difficult it was to understand all of this since they went through the same process.

Senes using the technical terminology when she probably should have known it would baffle them could just be her trying to lord her understanding over the Casulls; that certainly fits with her personality, after all.

Back to concerning SAO:
Quote:
Key wrote:
No, I'm wondering how he's going to accomplish all of that in one week, too, but I'm not so incredibly jaded that I can't enjoy the process of finding out.

Missing the point, much? The fact that he is of course going to do all of this in a week is a problem in and of itself.

Only if you let it be.

Key wrote:
He's a wish-fulfilment character and he's written like one. That means a quality of writing found in the average fan-fic. Don't tell me you only care about the quality of a work when doing a review?

And what Story grades have I been giving the series in the reviews that I have done? I suggest you go and look, because that is publicly-documented. Or do you believe that I'm overrating the series if I don't give it Ds and Fs for Story?

The rest I will let go for now, since it's getting very late on a work night. I will address it in a later post once I've had time to track down the comments that I was referring to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The rest I will let go for now, since it's getting very late on a work night. I will address it in a later post once I've had time to track down the comments that I was referring to.

*coughs*

Still waiting Key. Just saying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15