• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nyan Koi! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Nyan Koi! (TV)

I'm making this topic in the hope that people won't throw this away as another "nekomimi" anime that has no real purpose other than to fanservice that particular fetish. So far (two episodes in), the plot is fleshing itself out; and though the premise is rather simple, It is leading to some fresh, funny material. Add to that the fact that it is pretty damn high quality so far as well and you have a potentially prospective series on your hands.

So far, there haven't been any catgirls falling from the sky or anything stupid like that. spoiler[The main character, a guy with a cat allergy, happens to behead the shrine of a cat in memory of a cat who saved a bunch of townsfolk. Since then he has been cursed, and to repel the curse and eventually remove it he must do tasks for 100 cats (of whom he can now communicate with). However, he can't let anyone know he can speak to cats or they will become cursed too. Couple that with the fact that the girl he likes at school LOVES cats (and is hated by cats) and you have a recipe for ... fun.] It sounds silly, but it leads to some interesting and somewhat original comedic situations.

So far the casting has been pretty great (no annoyingly shy characters, token loli or moe moe megane-chans, although the tsundere has reared its head in episode 2; but I kind of like tsundere so what the hell). In fact so far the only real "cliche" thing that's occured is the whole childhood-friend thing, although the new spin on that was that spoiler[the childhood friend (aforementioned tsundere-chan) and he grew up to be something of rivals]. It is more or less another high school romance, but the high production level and interesting characters are keeping it original enough for me to want to watch more (and write this post in the hope that some other people will give it a shot).

It manages to be funny, whilst having some more heartfelt scenes (without going overboard into melodrama mode) which I think is a good sign. Anyways, discuss. I think it's worth watching through for now; I have a bad feeling that it may head towards the ugly cliche area but I won't judge it for now because it's managed to avoid it so far.

I like the fact that the spoiler[girl he's obviously going to end up with is just the regular girl and not some cat girl deus ex machina romance] although at this point I can't even say "the girl he'll obviously end up with" really because everything is in the air. At the same time it is not a harem-style anime YET but the OP somewhat has me worried over this point. I'm really getting sick of love triangle-themed romances as well, so I really hope it doesn't head down that direction.

So yeah. Hopefully this has been an adequate introductory post. Discuss.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm quite as excited about the show. It was better than I thought, considering that it was Moetan and Zettai Karen Children's director (I thought both shows were not very good), and he's definitely done a better job here, but I just really hate the cats. The female cat is annoying, bossy, and I really wanted to kick her the entire first episode. The other cat reminded me of that kind of guy you'd meet on the streets once in a while that's a complete rules stickler and likes to rub things in your face. That said, I agree that the rest of the cast is really pretty good. The girl is actually a pretty good character and isn't annoying at all, and the guy is a fairly decent shonen comedy character, and isn't pathetic or perverted or anything annoyingly cliche.

It's really a pretty good show, but I don't like cats much and I especially hate the cats in the show so I guess it's more of a matter of personal preference that I don't really like the show that much. I've only watched the first episode though, so I'll probably watch a couple more episodes.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Since I love cats, I was a bit partial to the show from the start. Actually, I thought it would turn out to be unwatchable despite that, but it turns out to be (so far) my third top show after Darker than Black and Natsu no Arashi this season (Inuyasha is a special case).

It's really light comedy, which is good; at the same time, it has sufficient production values to be pleasant to the eye. It also has no annoying characters (although I don't like the fact that the guy may be "destined" to end up with that Mizune, although like the OP said, everything's pretty much up in the air).

And damn, the gyaru (mamba) childhood friend is a real surprise. I'm actually starting to hope he'll go for her instead of the typical-looking cutesy girl he has a crush on (who doesn't look interesting so far).

The cats are all nice so far. Well, actually, they'll be something to remember, since there aren't that many shows out there with cat characters.
Again I support the OP - it may head towards the ugly cliche area (if I was in Japan, I'd go and tie those wishing papers - don't want it to be another Hatsukoi), but so far it manages to be more enjoyable than most series.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:

And damn, the gyaru (mamba) childhood friend is a real surprise.

I'm trying to work out the definition of this... At first I thought she was a ganguro girl, but she only ever did face makeup, not a body tan. When I tried looking it up, all I got were sites for lesbians, but it... doesn't quite explain the plastered makeup and crazy hair colours...

So what (Japanese?) trend is this supposed to be?
Niomo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
The show is cute...but I hate cats Anime hyper

I think the premise is pretty interesting, but I don't see how they are going to squeeze in spoiler[100 cat saves] with only 12 episodes. I mean, of course they could just say spoiler["cool, you have helped 30 cats" during episode 3]...but it's weird I guess.

Idk what I think of the show so far. Its funny at most parts, well, I'll have to see were it goes.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Niomo wrote:
The show is cute...but I hate cats Anime hyper

I think the premise is pretty interesting, but I don't see how they are going to squeeze in spoiler[100 cat saves] with only 12 episodes. I mean, of course they could just say spoiler["cool, you have helped 30 cats" during episode 3]...but it's weird I guess.

Well, if the manga's already done within 4 volumes, then something big has to go down, I suppose. Or perhaps a loophole? Who knows! Part of the reason I checked out the series was for the cats, and also because it's a short 12 ep series so I thought "yeah, I have time for a show that short!"
LewsTherin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Mister V wrote:

And damn, the gyaru (mamba) childhood friend is a real surprise.

I'm trying to work out the definition of this... At first I thought she was a ganguro girl, but she only ever did face makeup, not a body tan. When I tried looking it up, all I got were sites for lesbians, but it... doesn't quite explain the plastered makeup and crazy hair colours...

So what (Japanese?) trend is this supposed to be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro#Yamanba_and_manba
Wikipedia says it's a fashion style.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
By "manba" I just assumed she was something like a Kogal since it was pretty obvious she had overdone makeup and zany hair of her own volition. But it was pretty interesting anyways; I've never seen that particular thing in an anime. She really looks a lot better as a regular person though.

As for not liking the cats, I think their personalities are somewhat slanted to appear unlikeable, since the curse is meant to be misfortune and not "cool I can talk to cats!". I agree though; I love my own cat but I hope she'd have nicer things to say to me if she could talk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Funny show. The first episode was just hilarious, the curse and the cats telling him off, mainly his family's cat.
I like cats. Silent and lazy(like me), and so far, I've found no reason to dislike them.
The second episode wasn't that funny though, but it wasn't bad either. They focused on introducing his childhood friend, who by the way looked like a clown. But it's okay, since she won't appear like that again.
About time they start showing more of his "curse lifting missions". Hah!
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I like the cats much either, but the show itself has been good despite them. I also am not a huge fan of the character designs in the show, but the voices are growing on me. The plot execution has been good and I like the premise (A guy allergic to cats is cursed with the possibility of becoming a cat himself. What's not to like about that?)
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
The first episode was just hilarious, the curse and the cats telling him off, mainly his family's cat.
I like cats. Silent and lazy(like me), and so far, I've found no reason to dislike them.
The second episode wasn't that funny though, but it wasn't bad either.

I felt the same. But, once again it's a short series so only 10 eps to go!
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:50 am Reply with quote
So many people dislike cats, while I've got a pretty bad allergy (you could say I can really identify with the main character?..), and even then I love them. Razz

LewsTherin, you shoul've just given the link Wiki gives to the comprehensive guide: http://japanlinked.com/Japanese-Culture/Gyaru-Gal-Styles.html
The series could've had more jokes about the different situations, but I suppose they decided to go with something more classic.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Okay, this is turning to harem. The "main" girl is still the least interesting... But it's still as light and playful as before. There seems to be less of a focus on cats, let's hope they won't forget that element, since it's sort of what made the show different (if only a little).
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:27 am Reply with quote
And finally, my most hated character archtype appears, the boyish girl. And of course, she hates the male protagonist. That's so new, huh.
Episode 3 wasn't as good as the first two. I really don't wanna see this turning into some harem trash, since there was plenty of harem lately. Princess Lover for one, eww. I wasn't so sure about my favorite character, and I'm still not sure, but I guess I'll go with Junpei's cat.
Niomo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
And finally, my most hated character archtype appears, the boyish girl. And of course, she hates the male protagonist. That's so new, huh.
Episode 3 wasn't as good as the first two. I really don't wanna see this turning into some harem trash, since there was plenty of harem lately. Princess Lover for one, eww. I wasn't so sure about my favorite character, and I'm still not sure, but I guess I'll go with Junpei's cat.

The track captain? I think thats a guy........maybe. I hope. Anime dazed

As for the show being a harem...eh. Right now there are only 3 girls, and the mail woman doesn't seem like she's going to be around a lot. idk. There are still those blonde twins to introduce. iirc, though, the next episode involves the track captain guy/girl/thing. We'll see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6