• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Confirms Il Sole Penetra le Illusioni Home Video Plans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Insert rage here about AOA prices and people complaining not being able the releases. Grabs some popcorn.. this is going to be fun because I saw this coming from a mile away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Pssst, everyone refuse to discuss AoA prices just to thwart cecil's prediction and ruin his popcorn party. Wink

Anyway, AoA is undeniably picking up the home release pace. I wonder if they are going to have to eventually expand their famously small 5-person operation.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Already, huh?
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Honest question guys: Who else saw this coming?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:

Aniplex is releasing all of their stuff without a middleman now, so it was pretty much expected
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be better to hold off and wait to see what the reaction to the show is first before promising a physical release? If the show turns out to be crap and nobody cares, is it even worth bothering to release it?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to hold off and wait to see what the reaction to the show is first before promising a physical release? If the show turns out to be crap and nobody cares, is it even worth bothering to release it?

I agree with this one. They can get away with their prices on SAO and the Monogatari series, and even Garden of Sinners because of the ridiculous popularity. I honestly have never even heard of this series until this announcement. Then again with the high prices their sales number are expected to be close to nothing anyway, they make all their money by selling at a higher price for a set amount of units. It really depends on how many copies they need to sell I guess.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I guess the plus side is that there's a possibility I can actually follow the simulcast via Hulu compared to Crunchyroll where I have to wait a week.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
It is kinda interesting that they are releasing everything Aniplex now, they were doing pretty well with just the big hits like Madoka, Bakemono and such. I guess when you can skip a lot of the license hassle, what do you have to lose?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Play your cards right Aniplex...and you might just get a new customer.

My wallet's out--I hope this show's good!
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
more maho shoujo?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

True that. If the show is terrible, but still priced at $150, then it's not going to sell, even with the hardcore and monied fans. Just like in Japan, otaku tend to reserve the money for specific anime over just any show. I thought AoA's strategy was to pinpoint the big hits and focus on that. Maybe they'll price it accordingly when reaction and fan want-levels become apparent.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
MadMan400096 wrote:

Aniplex is releasing all of their stuff without a middleman now, so it was pretty much expected

From the New World/Shin Sekai Yori is the one sole exception so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
MadMan400096 wrote:

From the New World/Shin Sekai Yori is the one sole exception so far.

Not an exception. Aniplex wasn't a part of it other than their subsidiary, A-1, producing the animation.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

True that. If the show is terrible, but still priced at $150, then it's not going to sell, even with the hardcore and monied fans. Just like in Japan, otaku tend to reserve the money for specific anime over just any show. I thought AoA's strategy was to pinpoint the big hits and focus on that. Maybe they'll price it accordingly when reaction and fan want-levels become apparent.

I expect this'll become at least a minor hit, anyway. The last time there was an Aniplex backed new anime from the Nanoha director, it sold about 10k (Dog Days) and now has a 3rd season in the works. A new magical girl anime from the Nanoha director is a pretty big deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2