• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Takama-ga-hara Manga Ends in Shonen Jump Alpha on November 19

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I say this without a hint of irony or sarcasm: I appreciate being able to experience through a periodical anthology publication (even if it's not a paper magazine) the feeling of following a comic book series just to see it end abruptly. It's something that simply doesn't happen in the printed press today anymore.
Like with Barrage, I was following this and, even though neither series brought anything game-changing to the table, they were perfectly serviceable series that brought a little more to the magazine they came in. I have to say this will make me more leery of following a new future series in SJA (I don't mean getting attached, as nothing that appears in the publication has earned that from me), but not a lot.
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read this on SJ but I did read it on manga sites and I thought the manga was awesome. I would love to hear why the manga ended so suddenly for SJ. Was it bad reviews, not very popular, or did not many people read it anyways.

It's something I would like to hear a reason why for.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Hm... and here I was thinkinking out of nowhere I'd hear it pulling a dark horse on me and being constantly told how wrong I was for not liking the inital chapters.

Well I can't really say I'm saddened by this unlike with barrage, as I was pretty much waiting to see if it would sink or swim before giving it a second go.

All I can say about this really is sorry for the fans and I hope the Author comes back with a stronger work from this.
Hospodar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
StrawHat313 wrote:
I didn't read this on SJ but I did read it on manga sites and I thought the manga was awesome. I would love to hear why the manga ended so suddenly for SJ. Was it bad reviews, not very popular, or did not many people read it anyways.

It was not popular enough.
It is a WSJ Manga. In every issue of WSJ there is a card in it. The card asks which 3 Manga you enjoyed the most. Those cards are then sent to the company and the votes are counted. The Manga are then printed according to the results of the votes and if you are in the back of the magazine (called the bottom 5) you are in danger of getting cancelled. The voting is especially important for new series. Older established series get more room. About every 10 weeks WSJ starts between 1-4(usually 2) new series and cancels 1-4 series to make room.
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
StrawHat313 wrote:

It was not popular enough.
It is a WSJ Manga. In every issue of WSJ there is a card in it. The card asks which 3 Manga you enjoyed the most. Those cards are then sent to the company and the votes are counted. The Manga are then printed according to the results of the votes and if you are in the back of the magazine (called the bottom 5) you are in danger of getting cancelled. The voting is especially important for new series. Older established series get more room. About every 10 weeks WSJ starts between 1-4(usually 2) new series and cancels 1-4 series to make room.

That I did not know, thanks.
Wow I thought the manga was pretty good and had a long enough basis for the story that it could take over 1 of the big 3 once they end. Personally though I'm trying to look and guess which next anime/manga is gonna take One Piece, Naruto, or Bleach's place in the future. This manga and Beelzebub were one of them but I guess not.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd read before how cutthroat the competition to stay in Weekly Shonen Jump was (most recently in Bakuman), but it wasn't until I got to see series get Barrage and Takama-ga-hara get cancelled basically in real time that I could really have a feel for it.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
That's a shame, I enjoyed it. The series had an incredibly tongue-in-cheek sense of humour (I didn't catch it at first but when the one guy's super power was turning a squirrel into a gun it became clear it wasn't trying to be taken seriously)
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
i was faintly interested enough to read it every week, but im kind of not surprised it was cancelled. it's a shame but im glad that people outside of Japan can feel the experience of a series being cancelled
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Maybe now they won't be so quick to license and publish something in SJA right after it comes out in Japan.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
DeathScytheRuler wrote:
Maybe now they won't be so quick to license and publish something in SJA right after it comes out in Japan.

Then that kind of ruins the entire point of Alpha
Jaymie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Viz needs to license new series that are actually good like Assassination Classroom.

The thing about action series is that Jump readers are currently instacanceling every single new action series that touches the pages of the magazine (they've been doing this for over 2 years now). Viz only licenses action series because American fans are obsessed with Naruto/Bleach, so every series they license keeps getting canceled.

They need to bite the bullet and license something that isn't mainstream. Non-mainstream is the new mainstream.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Is that image for this article taken from a scanlation? Because I'm pretty sure that's not from the SJA version and I don't think it's from the original version.

Super, SUPER sad this one is ending. One of my favorite shonen series in years, it was fun and silly and felt like a throw-back to mid-90's shonen.

Jaymie wrote:
Viz needs to license new series that are actually good like Assassination Classroom.

The thing about action series is that Jump readers are currently instacanceling every single new action series that touches the pages of the magazine (they've been doing this for over 2 years now). Viz only licenses action series because American fans are obsessed with Naruto/Bleach, so every series they license keeps getting canceled.

They need to bite the bullet and license something that isn't mainstream. Non-mainstream is the new mainstream.

To each their own, but "actually good" is up to the beholder. I think Takama-ga-Hara was excellent, but obviously not enough people felt that way. And Viz licenses plenty of non-action series, but the series in Jump just tend to be action because that's what the target audience for the magazine likes. We do have Cross Manage running, and that's not an action series.

I think Assassination Classroom would be a hard one for SJA because of the classroom violence and the recent real-life events involving violence at schools.
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling I shouldn't get too attached to Cross Manage quite yet.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
StrawHat313 wrote:

Barrage had alot of good review online, but it doesn't matter because people who have money to buy the magazine has alot of saying on what manga to cancel. If they don't like it, then the manga will get cancel. People who have no money have no say.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
SpiritualRemains wrote:
I get the feeling I shouldn't get too attached to Cross Manage quite yet.

you shouldn't. its ranking very poorly. it could be cancelled soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2