• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: British Anime Net Dancer Beckii Cruel Gets DVD in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote
...is she British or Manx?

Well, she seems fairly good at it, and yes its only slightly better than what you'd see at a con, but she does a wide variety and seems pretty dedicated.

...but it seemed "fun" when it was just a youtube channel thing....a Japanese Akihabara DVD seems more like something for otaku fanboys to salivate over...I mean REALLY salivate over....they're used to making pre-teen hentai crap there and stuff. So it's cool that she found some internet success...but this could get creepy, really fast, with a Japanese DVD....

as for complaints about "the next Britney Spears tragedy", there's a point where she openly admits she can't sing.

I don't agree with all of the bashers in this thread, but yeah...the otaku in Akihabara will be creepy about this....just like that stalker guy in Perfect Blue...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
She should've invested in dancing lessions. Her dancing is shite.
Shuchung

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
It's like people really are oblivious of the Akihabara Idol and Nico Nico Douga culture.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Somebody is getting her 15 minutes of fame... probably she'll just fade to obscurity after this and appear as a footnote on a future Japan Probe show while King Charles (what number would he be?) is sipping tea and eating biscuits... Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
chicogrande

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

As a 42 year old male, I'll be defending my right to "ogle" until I die. For me, it's an inherit instinct to judge what I think is pretty. Age is irrelevant.
(Snip)
I would appreciate if people would knock off the indirect reference at being some sick-minded pedophile getting jollies over this girl and her videos.

First thing I thought when I first saw the headline was "Whaaa?" Once I got over the initial shock, I was amazed that she got as far as having a DVD made for Japan. Damn, girl! You go!

Being a 42 year old, I am not ashamed to admit that it's pleasant to the eyes. She is lovely and as long as her parents are overlooking her little success, she should be well protected from any dangers. I don't know what other people expect us oglers to do, tear our eyeballs out or cover her in a burka?

She is not wearing any revealing or skimpy outfits and her dancing is not overly suggestive. She is having loads of fun and at worst, I suspect, she could be seen as an eccentric foreigner by some Japanese.
DCF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't suppose this happens much!! I am Beckiis father. I work in an environment well tuned to the perils of internet and child safety. Both my kids are well aware of the risks, and use safe practices. There is always going to be an element of ogling with any nternet content. However, we have a trusted agent who is japanese, but UK based and well versed in both sides of the culture argument.

When 'Danjo' started to break into the low hundreds of thousands, we actually had approaches from a wide range of sources. This culminated in appointing her agent, and making the DVD and two singles. There is a whole new thing breaking which will widen her market.

I think the thing that put this into perspective for me was going to see AKB48 when we were last out. You have to put the Japanse market in a totally different context.

Rest assured she is having fun, being well looked after, and as a straight A student, has her feet on the ground as to what the future holds. A few years of fun, a bit of cash, and a proper job at the end of it. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
...is she British or Manx?
Both. Wink

Rolando_jose wrote:
Brave new world....
Indeed, welcome to the 21st Century.
This is just painful Anime hyper

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
DCF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Did you read the post before yours Mohawk?

We are fully aware of what is going on. And as for dancing in Tokyo - been there/ Done that. She performed at Saitama Super Arena in the finale with the dancers at Animelo Re-Bridge.

now THAT was a superb event!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
DCF wrote:
Did you read the post before yours Mohawk?

We are fully aware of what is going on. And as for dancing in Tokyo - been there/ Done that. She performed at Saitama Super Arena in the finale with the dancers at Animelo Re-Bridge.

now THAT was a superb event!
Edited mate. sorry about that. All expenses paid I presume? May I also ask how long had your daughter been doing this before you became aware?
DCF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
It was all a bit surreal.....

Beckii has been in to Anime, Manga and Otaku for a long while. Then she set up her Youtube channel and started posting some dances. Then Danjo came along, and it all went a bit nuts from there!

We had several approaches during June, appointed her agent in July, and were dashing around Tokyo for the first stint at the end of August. The DVD has her version of Danjo, another single, and some other videos recorded for other artists.

It is all quite surprising. Whatever happens, she has had a great time so far Cool
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
One wonders whether somebody will licence this title in R1, sub-licence it to the UK a significant while later, and thereby allow Beckii's Manx followers to see the anime based upon their idol in two-to-three years time.

Intuitively however, I already have some idea as to what the response to this would be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
DCF wrote:

Beckii has been in to Anime, Manga and Otaku for a long while. Then she set up her Youtube channel and started posting some dances. Then Danjo came along, and it all went a bit nuts from there!

We had several approaches during June, appointed her agent in July, and were dashing around Tokyo for the first stint at the end of August. The DVD has her version of Danjo, another single, and some other videos recorded for other artists.

It is all quite surprising. Whatever happens, she has had a great time so far Cool
I bet it was, especially when you first found out, or did she propose the concept to you before going online? You say she has been an otaku for a long while, as she's 14, at what age did she start, and what was her introduction? The article seems to imply that this will be Beckii's first trip to a Tokyo event, but you say she already has an agent, and has been before?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:44 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
DCF wrote:

I bet it was, especially when you first found out, or did she propose the concept to you before going online? You say she has been an otaku for a long while, as she's 14, at what age did she start, and what was her introduction? The article seems to imply that this will be Beckii's first trip to a Tokyo event, but you say she already has an agent, and has been before?

Mohawk, ANN's resident self-appointed father figure, is on the scene!

Hey, the great thing about being a semi-Akiba idol when you're a foreigner is that you live far far away from any of the creeps that are out there.

If I were her, I'd parlay my 15 minutes of fame into a chance to meet with perfumen (not a typo).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:04 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Mohawk, ANN's resident self-appointed father figure, is on the scene!

Hey, the great thing about being a semi-Akiba idol when you're a foreigner is that you live far far away from any of the creeps that are out there.

If I were her, I'd parlay my 15 minutes of fame into a chance to meet with perfumen (not a typo).
Did you know that the Isle of Man is virtually the size of Tokyo, but has a population of just under 82,000 as of the last census in 2006? Smile
DCF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:14 pm Reply with quote
certainly a different place than the dear old Isle of Man!

We did visit as a family earlier in 2009, but this is the first visit as 'Beckii Cruel' .

Be good to see English-speaking otaku getting behind the groove and following her progress. Everyone has gone into this with an open mind, but a bit of success would be great. And my only interest is in the welfare of my girl - everything she earns, is hers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4