• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Hard Corps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Time of Eve sounds like something I would definitely buy if it were available in a North American sub release. Thanks for mentioning it.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
Unless you mean a different kind of split personality.

I read one report --and it could have completely mistranslated something it was reading or hearing-- that said the girls could change their personalities in order to craft and use different types of magic. I'm guessing it's connected to the costumes this time around, maybe this time instead of just altering stats it also alters their personality and song set?

I have to admit, I'm a little sad to see these games going 3D. I'm a long time fan of 2D RPGs and NIS has been my favorite company for some time now as a result (despite their flaws). Hopefully this isn't marking an end to the 2D era (though people have been saying that for over a decade now).

Emerje

Well it's 2D events, but 3D battles like Atelier Rorona. If you want a 2D rpg on PS3 get Cross Edge or Disgaea 3. Even Record of Agarest War that's coming soon to America or import Tears To Tiara those are also 2D RPGs on PS3.

Just so we're clear it's Namco releasing Ar Tonelico III to Japan not NIS. NIS will probably make up to it's fans in America by spending extra time with Ar Tonelico III and not rush it like they did with Ar Tonelico II.

So are you saying like if the girl is wearing like a magical girl outfit the Revyateil acts like a magical girl much like when you earned the costume in the Cosmoshere where you get to see it in action before that costume is given to you?
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
this is all I have to say about the Fist of the North Star game: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????????????

With that out of the way, Zero in TvC is rad (though I am still disappointed that DMC is not represented)

If you mean having Dante in TvC it would be interesting but I think it's because DMC has never been on the Nintendo Wii. Like for instance probably the reason why that Dead Rising guy Frank West is in it because of the remake of Dead Rising for the Wii called Chop Till You Drop. If TvC was on PS3 or Xbox 360 or both you can almost guarantee Dante would be in it because of Devil May Cry 4 or even Nero. Unless it's a wait till like Devil May Cry 5 is announced.

And as for the Fist of the North Star game I say why not?

Still upset over no SoulTaker or Speed Racer inclusion.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:
Time of Eve sounds like something I would definitely buy if it were available in a North American sub release. Thanks for mentioning it.

It takes a little effort to fully digest the series' achievements, I shall admit. One isn't given instant and effortless gratification by the manner in which the characters' relationships are expounded, and whilst this certainly isn't necessary for interesting narrative, it is efficacious in this instance. The viewers' enjoyment sustains itself without any hindrances from the nuance and vagueness present in the screenplay.
There exists plenty of room for a sequel, but I for one wouldn't be disappointed for this ONA to remain a standalone work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Time of Eve: Oh darn, I forgot to finish that one. I'm liking it too. I must have lost track of where I was when all that busy stuff came up.

Sega All-Stars Racing: Well if anything, playing as Ryo gives me a great excuse to drive in anything I want and knock Sonic and his woodland fail friends off the track (hopefully to their doom).

Ar tonelico 3: I'm just going to be cynical and say "Great, another one for otaku to have the excuse to keep one hand in their pants while playing the game". You guessed it, the bitter aftertaste of Ar tonelico 2 hasn't left my mind. It wasn't just the poor localization either. The story was a complete snooze. Not sure what they were doing at Gust when the script for that game was being written. As for NISA, they better try to clear the bugs out 100% this time. Mana Khemia 2 wasn't bad per se, but it still had its share of problems. And they better put a cool nonhuman ally in this game (Ar tonelico 1 had one cool example, but he wasn't a playable ally and 2 had one as a playable ally but wolves bore me). If it's all human and Reyvateil, then boring.

Tatsunoko v. Capcom: I'm happy they chose X's version of Zero. I'm sorry but that alternate Zero series was just too weird for me. The Megaman X Zero obviously had the label of robotic badass down. I'm afraid that Gameboy Advance one really didn't do it for me with its strange designs and even more bizarre story. Seems like they're giving Zero his moves prior to X7, which was terrible. I can't wait for this! Very Happy

Contra Rebirth: After I heard Plisskin was an anthro reptile a week ago, my interest perked. I was never a huge fan of Contra, though I did enjoy the older ones to some degree. I realize it never had a comprehensible story to begin with, but I suppose that doesn't take the fun out of shooting everything you see.

Astro Boy: I still have hopes the movie will be good. The only bashers will be the purist freaks who think it's "an abomination of everything Tezuka stood for *snort snort*". I hope when I go to the theater to see it, I won't hear actual lines like that from some nerds in the audience.

Bakugan: The franchise needs to die, enough said. Really, don't we have enough "kids and their monsters" shows these days?
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Also, I find it funny that, after your comment on Hokuto Musou you actually show interest in a Dragon Ball game. The irony is what makes me laugh. Very Happy

Well, it's not DBZ, so yeah I'm mutually excited. I get where you're coming from, but the fact is the Musou series of games are usually done in the same build. The Dragon Ball franchise, despite having a slew of mostly fighting games annually, has gone through various genres. Fighting, Turn-Based, Adventure, etc.,

I'm just excited that it's something that's not fighting game based on Son Goku's galactic adventures that we know so much about like a dead horse more so than his earlier years,
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's a lot more than Sega's thrown Panzer Dragoon fans lately. Just sayin'.

Not to mention Jet Set Radio and being jerks about Yakuza Anime cry

Dammit, Dr. Sega, why won't you just let the hedgehog die?! Can't you see that he's in pain? That equipment is needed for the series that still have hope!
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
So are you saying like if the girl is wearing like a magical girl outfit the Revyateil acts like a magical girl much like when you earned the costume in the Cosmoshere where you get to see it in action before that costume is given to you?

Well, the costume bit was just speculation, that's pretty much what I was thinking, though.

I did find the article, it was on 1up.com. (Don't know why they chose to use a picture from AT2 on the article)
"Unlike previous games, though, the heroines have multiple personalities they can switch between, which can alter what abilities they have during battle."

They also mention a new system where you can find fragments of spells in the cosmospheres and combine them during battle for different effects.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So, if you pick Ryo in Sega All-Stars Racing, you can TRYYYYYYYY TO KILL THEM WITH A FORKLIFT!

........Sorry.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
With regards to Shenmue wrote:
"This is the song, written for the train chase,
This is the chase, Ryo and Ken,
He tried to kill me with a forklift!
Ole!"

Edit: Dammit. Beaten to it!

Edit 2:With regards to Contra ReBirth, I need to go back and play Contra 4 again. All of this slice-of-life filth is starting to stick...

Edit 3: ...Space Invaders Extreme 2 is going to eat the money I was saving up for Phantasy Star 0. Dammit
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:
So, if you pick Ryo in Sega All-Stars Racing, you can TRYYYYYYYY TO KILL THEM WITH A FORKLIFT!

........Sorry.

sfried wrote:
With regards to Shenmue wrote:
"This is the song, written for the train chase,
This is the chase, Ryo and Ken,
He tried to kill me with a forklift!
Ole!"

Edit: Dammit. Beaten to it!

I'm so proud of my readers.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Well, the costume bit was just speculation, that's pretty much what I was thinking, though.

I did find the article, it was on 1up.com. (Don't know why they chose to use a picture from AT2 on the article)
"Unlike previous games, though, the heroines have multiple personalities they can switch between, which can alter what abilities they have during battle."

They also mention a new system where you can find fragments of spells in the cosmospheres and combine them during battle for different effects.

Emerje

Well in the previous games it was more like you find a weird little creature in the Cosmosphere and that creature will help you get through that level of the Cosmosphere which then becomes available to you and then that same creature appears when you od the song magic attack that creature is made for. But finding fragments i'll have to see what that's like.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ar tonelico 3: I'm just going to be cynical and say "Great, another one for otaku to have the excuse to keep one hand in their pants while playing the game". You guessed it, the bitter aftertaste of Ar tonelico 2 hasn't left my mind. It wasn't just the poor localization either. The story was a complete snooze. Not sure what they were doing at Gust when the script for that game was being written. As for NISA, they better try to clear the bugs out 100% this time. Mana Khemia 2 wasn't bad per se, but it still had its share of problems. And they better put a cool nonhuman ally in this game (Ar tonelico 1 had one cool example, but he wasn't a playable ally and 2 had one as a playable ally but wolves bore me). If it's all human and Reyvateil, then boring.

Ar Tonelico 2 does have a slow start at the beginning of the game but it's one of those the deeper you go into the story the better it gets.

With Banpresto now being a part of Namco Bandai it will be interesting to see who picks up Ar Tonelico 3 to the states. It could be Namco Bandai of America or it could be NIS of America. With Namco though I want them to focus on bringing Tales of Vesperia for PS3 to America. Besides, NIS pretty much has to make it up to it's fans for what they brought of for Ar Tonelico 2 right? Though I will say that I think most if not all of the Gust games that have come to America have had at least some kind of bug in it just in Ar Tonelico 2's case it was the worst bug in any game that NIS has ever brought over to the states.

I'm kind of unsure about having more non-human allys. But then again in Ar Tonelico 2 you had that wolf and you have Amarie which I say isn't 100% human. I rather have them just get rid of allys like Leglius for this 3rd installment.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Ar Tonelico 2 does have a slow start at the beginning of the game but it's one of those the deeper you go into the story the better it gets.

With Banpresto now being a part of Namco Bandai it will be interesting to see who picks up Ar Tonelico 3 to the states. It could be Namco Bandai of America or it could be NIS of America. With Namco though I want them to focus on bringing Tales of Vesperia for PS3 to America. Besides, NIS pretty much has to make it up to it's fans for what they brought of for Ar Tonelico 2 right? Though I will say that I think most if not all of the Gust games that have come to America have had at least some kind of bug in it just in Ar Tonelico 2's case it was the worst bug in any game that NIS has ever brought over to the states.

I'm kind of unsure about having more non-human allys. But then again in Ar Tonelico 2 you had that wolf and you have Amarie which I say isn't 100% human. I rather have them just get rid of allys like Leglius for this 3rd installment.

You say that, but for me, it wasn't really all that deep in the end. It took such a long time for the main plot to take off that I nearly fell asleep at the beginning, and I've never done that with any RPG before. I guess the pacing was bad for me.

I don't count Amarie, she still technically looks human. Or she's basically a "human-type" character. Not good enough for me. As I said, Shun was a good idea but I do so tire of wolves.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Well in the previous games it was more like you find a weird little creature in the Cosmosphere and that creature will help you get through that level of the Cosmosphere which then becomes available to you and then that same creature appears when you od the song magic attack that creature is made for. But finding fragments i'll have to see what that's like.

I think we're still getting that system (BTW, you explain stuff like I haven't played through both games before) and the new fragment system is something new we're getting in addition. I'm thinking it my be the replacement for the Infelsphere. Some of the magazine scans show what looks like the replacement for I.P.D.s and Girl Power called R.A.H.

Anyway, the Official Japanese website just went live with a teaser trailer and they've begun distributing some images,though many are high-res versions from the magazines (find them on Scrawl). I guess there's a big update coming Monday and a fan event in Akiba on the 25th.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3