• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Scheduled Maintenance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't bother asking. But I'm quite sure Tempest meant Nagi from Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens. And we even had a fan-art contest featuring Nagi, not so long ago.
Damius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Faster nice!
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:27 am Reply with quote
This post is primarily targeted at the folks who work in the background, rarely voicing themselves in public.

Did some "testing" yesterday, and wanted to provide feedback just in case it matters. I'm very sure the folks have already done this, but I'm also adding my personal viewpoint.

Forum searching: Without doubt, this is the fastest improvement on the site. In the several tests I did, I kept thinking the system was returning gibberish. No way could it be that fast on my searches of non-common words. The results proved me wrong each time, and thus, a huge thank you is in order for this one!***

Columns archives: I dreaded reading columns older than 2009, as the system seemed to take forever to find the archive and display it. With this enhancement, I'm now going to read every one of them now that I can do so quickly. Kudos again!

My ANN: I had stopped writing my own reviews because I'd spend time writing them, trying to post them, then waiting only to be greeted with a message (either bad or good, didn't matter) it's done. I'm now hoping to have my reviews done by November as editing is so much faster. *hugs*
Note: Now that the system is faster, I'm also going to link ANN reviews to my own so that people can get to them faster!***

Didn't test video streaming as this speed has nothing to do with server speed improvement.

Now the only fault, which incidentally is not with the upgrade.
Encyclopedia searches: The speed of return is quite obvious, but the delay to which the return is created is hindered by that idiotic Google AdSense block. I wish there were a way to remove this from the results, but I understand why it's there. Any way to remove the Google platform for a custom one? Just thought I'd ask.

*** Now that the system is working faster, I'm guessing the priority to modify the code to fix bottlenecks has taken a step down. Given this, after the much needed break is over, I'd like to know if time could be spent on the following request:

Is there a way to search within just columns? I tried yesterday but could not find a way to return results. I didn't go beyond the second page of returns.

At any rate, that's my summary. Hope it's helpful.

Thanks to the staff for applying the upgrade and thank you fans who contributed to help make it happen.

I'm sure we're all in agreement the investment was well worth it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:35 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Is there a way to search within just columns? I tried yesterday but could not find a way to return results. I didn't go beyond the second page of returns.

Now, that depends on your answer to this question; are you wanting to search all the columns, or, are you referring to just searching one particular column (say like Chicks on Anime) at a time?

If it is the former then I can't help you improve your results. If it is the latter, and you want to search through (say) all the Hey, Answerman! columns to find something funny Zac once said, then yes it is easy. If it really is the second case, then send me a PM and I'll tell you how. If not, sorry, but I just don't know.
Ralifar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed it. When I hit refresh on the page when I'm looking at "View posts since last visit" the ones I've already looked at actually refresh and don't continue saying they're new posts.

It didn't really detract any from the site in the first place, but I did find it annoying sometimes. Razz
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
are you wanting to search all the columns

Yes, all of them. Of course, not sure how they're stored, so this may not be possible.

On a side note, I saw your example at how to look up specific reviewers to reduce the pain of hunting for said review, and nicely done. It's bookmarked.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
On a side note, I saw your example at how to look up specific reviewers to reduce the pain of hunting for said review, and nicely done. It's bookmarked.

Cheers. I was beginning to think no-one cared about that, but it is nice to see you getting some use out of it.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Cheers. I was beginning to think no-one cared about that, but it is nice to see you getting some use out of it.

hmm... did you post that tip somewhere, and I missed it? Would be nice to have.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
hmm... did you post that tip somewhere, and I missed it? Would be nice to have.

It's not a shameless plug if someone asks you for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3