• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Computer-Animated Astro Boy Film Opens in North America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I just saw this movie last night. All I have to say is "goodbye Imagi Studios." It looks like this will be your last film because clearly your target audience for this movie doesn't exist. I don't know why you would make an Astro Boy movie for mildly retarded, racist, 8-year old runaway orphans.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Although I read the review, I'll give my final judgement when my friend and I go and see it tomorrow. I've never been a big fan of science-fiction/robotic anime films (and really, the only reason I'm going is to analyze the movie and so that way he's not watching it alone), but I'm still willing to give it a shot.

Just hoping it's better than DB:E.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I just saw this movie last night. All I have to say is "goodbye Imagi Studios." It looks like this will be your last film because clearly your target audience for this movie doesn't exist. I don't know why you would make an Astro Boy movie for mildly retarded, racist, 8-year old runaway orphans.

They made it for kids like Astro Boy?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

What was racist about it?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
3000 screens? I'm kind of skeptical it'll make back even just the P&A costs for a saturation-level wide release, but we'll see.

(P&A = Prints and Advertising.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Romuska wrote:

What was racist about it?

That was just a joke but I couldn't help but noticed that Metro City as well as the surface seem to be devoid of any minorities whatsoever unless you count the Tezuka cameo.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
That's a huge amount of screens. How in the world did they convince that many theatres is beyond me. Unless Summit said no New Moon for those that declined.
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

I honestly can't believe you people. Rolling Eyes For years otakus wanted a theatrical released anime to be successful in the US mainstream and done authentic. Astro Boy is the first real attempt in a very long time and you guys already try to run it down.

Rolling Eyes
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
I saw it tonight and actually thought it was pretty good. Admittedly I went into it with low-ish expectations after reading the reviews, but it definitely exceeded them. I do agree though, this film may have a hard time finding an audience. Obviously a midnight showing isn't going to have much of a crowd for a kids movie, so this probably means nothing, but including my boyfriend there were five other people in the theater. I wouldn't call it a "movie for mildly retarded, racist, 8-year old runaway orphans," but, like Speed Racer, the challenge comes in making it both adequately nostalgic for the people who grew up watching it while simultaneously appealing to children who've probably never heard of it before now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
That was just a joke but I couldn't help but noticed that Metro City as well as the surface seem to be devoid of any minorities whatsoever unless you count the Tezuka cameo.

You mean like the majority of media that comes out of the country of origin of this specific franchise? And where, specifically, almost all characters in all of their shows look like caucasian westerners? I don't see the problem, let alone an issue worth making a joke in bad taste about...
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
Six Second Reviews liked it. Very Happy
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Deadline Hollywood Daily's Nikki Finke has early estimates for Astro Boy opening at #8, with just $1.8 million on Friday, with a weekend estimate of $7 million.

Box office poison.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

A rather harsh way you put my feelings towards this too. Razz

Romuska wrote:

Strangely I didn't realize the WHITEness going on in this film. The Tezuka cameo was a nice touch, but I didn't think it helped my hopes that the film would conclude better than leave me shaking my head afterwards.

stagedive_25 wrote:
I honestly can't believe you people. Rolling Eyes For years otakus wanted a theatrical released anime to be successful in the US mainstream and done authentic. Astro Boy is the first real attempt in a very long time and you guys already try to run it down.

Rolling Eyes

I've already soiled it to the ground with my very words!

Tenchi wrote:
[url=http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/paranormal-activity-scares-up-friday-crown-saw-vi-scares-away-audiences-vampires-assistant-can't-scare-up-viewers/]Deadline Hollywood Daily's Nikki Finke[/url] has early estimates for Astro Boy opening at #8, with just $1.8 million on Friday, with a weekend estimate of $7 million.

Box office poison.

Good!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1