• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REC (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:22 am Reply with quote
I couldn't find another discussion thread for REC...there's probably a good reason why, too. Rolling Eyes

I don't really see what the point is in making such a short and shallow series. It wasn't bad though, just very average. Anybody mind sharing what was in the manga, if anything? I'd also be interested to know what REC actually is, I'm sure it has something to do with voice recordings or English dubbing? Confused

Well, any who, if there already was an REC Discussion thread I couldn't find it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quote
philg wrote:
I don't really see what the point is in making such a short and shallow series. It wasn't bad though, just very average. Anybody mind sharing what was in the manga, if anything?

The anime demonstrated Kanako Sakai's dual voice (especially when she mimics spoiler[Audrey Hepburn]) quite nicely, and the manga is even more enjoyable, as long as you are fine with ecchi comedies (Hana-Q is popular for this genre). The most interesting part, in my opinion, is the appendix manga Hana-Q drew about how this manga was adapted into anime. When choosing the female protagonist, he was unable to decide whether to pick a veteran who can pretend as a rookie, or pick a real rookie. Turned out he chose the latter, as he told us how casting and recording were performed. While some people don't like Sakai (for her "rookie-ish" voice), I think her voice is fine and fitting, and her OP theme becomes a plus.

philg wrote:
I'd also be interested to know what REC actually is, I'm sure it has something to do with voice recordings or English dubbing? Confused

Have you watched it or not? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
philg wrote:
Well, any who, if there already was an REC Discussion thread I couldn't find it.

There have been threads made before on REC, but they were either so short or locked (don't remember which) that I decided not to add them to the index.
giao_su

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm three years behind the rest of you with respect to discovering this charming little anime.
I would agree that REC is not as deep as, say, Anna Karenina. Still, when I am looking for something diverting, I do not haul Anna Karenina off the shelf.
I think that it is no accident that a certain American (actually a British citizen born in Belgium) actress is mentioned throughout the series (each of the ten episodes bears the title of one of her films). REC has a feel similar to some of her films.
I do not know for sure to what REC refers. Since the "record" button on my dvd player/recorder is labeled "Rec," I had assumed that this was where the title REC originated.
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought it was an exceptional series and despite being only 10 short episodes it was well thoughtout and interesting. I don't know what's not to like and if you didn't enjoy it.. at least you didn't waste a lot of time.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
giao_su wrote:
I do not know for sure to what REC refers. Since the "record" button on my dvd player/recorder is labeled "Rec," I had assumed that this was where the title REC originated.

You're right. Aka is an aspiring voice actress, so it follows that the series is called REC, for "record".

Anyway, it's funny what anime can do to you. I've permanently become a fan of Audrey Hepburn thanks to this little series.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
The only REC I know is a Spanish horror movie, so I guess this isn't that. But REC there stands for recording, as in a camcorder; the word is prefaced with a red circle to show this.
kingofaces

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
When it comes to the "slice of life" category, I thought REC literally represents the slice aspect of it. It's short, but it actually covers an original plot that has a decent pace instead of the typical drawn out plotline about a high schooler. There doesn't seem to be a need for any length since the events literally do seem like a quick whirlwind. You (and the main characters) are caught up in it long enough to have fun with it and you had a good ride.

I wouldn't quite call it a masterpiece, but I think the best way to describe it was a unique way to spend my time when I watched it. I am kind of curious to check out the manga now after mentioning it, I haven't thought about REC for a good while.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
The only REC I know is a Spanish horror movie, so I guess this isn't that. But REC there stands for recording, as in a camcorder; the word is prefaced with a red circle to show this.

I am more aware of this one than the anime but I have seen both. The horror movie and the anime are both quite average. I cannot remember why I watched REC but I recall it being harmless fluff but short enough that it did not become tiresome. The manga is better but is updated rarely (but coincidence that a chapter was released the same day this thread popped up (the last chapter being released in Sept)).
giao_su

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
giao_su wrote:

You're right. Aka is an aspiring voice actress, so it follows that the series is called REC, for "record".

Anyway, it's funny what anime can do to you. I've permanently become a fan of Audrey Hepburn thanks to this little series.

I saw most of the Audrey Hepburn flicks way back when they were released in theaters.

Still, my response was a bit similar to yours, since REC led me to renew my acquaintance with Audrey Hepburn.

In addition to enjoying the series, I was also amused by the opening sequence for each REC episode showing the REC characters in Audrey Hepburn film roles. I especially liked Aka as Holly Golightly. And the Roman Holiday reference. And the. . . oh, well.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
I really liked it. I found it short and sweet, and it left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. A rare find, really.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
REC is a masterpiece in my opinion, and one my all time favorites. It's one of the better adult oriented romantic comedy series. As far as length, it's a classic stereotype buster that shows how good direction and writing can make even something so short feel completely satisfying.
poilk92

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
I cannot agree with Kruszer more. REC was refreshing, charming and paced perfectly. The Japanese really like to show case the part of romance between the characters meeting and when they just first fall for each-other. In a longer series this period is dragged out and the show suffers REC is the perfect length for its scope. And I really enjoyed the character design that emphasized more realistic features. Nothing I did not like about this series
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1