• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Anime Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:00 am Reply with quote
[quote="deathbringer"]
Isaaru wrote:
So there's no more Big O, they've lost the rights to Outlaw Star, and there's no more Conan yet they're still getting more Inu Yasha? Morons. Yes, they got Paranoia Agent, but they really need to get more good anime more often. They were doing good when they got FMA, GiTS, the ROD OVA, and Metropolis, but then they just kind of stopped. When you're only showing good shows one day a week then there's a problem. Tech TV is just blowing them away.

G4 blowing AS away? I find that unlikely.

Yes, Adult Swim is airing most of their series one episode a week. So what? That's better in my opinion. That way they can even out their episodes without running through them too quickly, like G4 does.

I mean, look what happened at G4 with their recent shows. They only aired about half of "Last Exile", "Gungrave", "R.O.D TV", and "Gad Guard" and forced (are forcing) people to wait several months before they air new episodes. Why? Because they blew through their episodes too quickly.

Why else do you think AS was able to air all of "Wolf's Rain" in one go? Because they aired one episode a week, that's why. Any faster and we'd probably still be waiting for the premiere of "the second half" or some crap like that.

And get more good anime more often? There are only so many timeslot they can dedicate to anime. I think they're pretty full at the moment.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
Tech TV is just blowing them away.

False.

For one, TechTV no longer exists. It was bought out by Comcast, its shows effectively gutted, and now the only remnants of TechTV that remain are a completely bastardised Screen Savers, X-Play, and a shoddy (at best) rendition of Anime Unleashed.

Secondly, you accuse Adult Swim of lacking enough anime? And you hold TechTV over them? Do you realise that TechTV/G4 has updated their lineup less than Adult Swim? They only tend to add two or three new shows every year-and-a-half or so, and lately it's all done in half-series. In 2004, Adult Swim acquired Read or Die, The Animatrix, Fullmetal Alchemist, Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex, Detective Conan, The Super Milk-chan Show, and confirmed that they had broadcast rights to both Inu-Yasha movies, Metropolis, and Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door. In 2004, G4 acquired...half of Last EXILE, half of ROD: TV, half of Gungrave, some portion of Gad Guard, and I think they announced Abenobashi some time at the very end of December. Adult Swim, in 2004, scored more then twice the haul G4 did; possibly even four times the haul because the best G4 could muster was half of each show. And in 2005, Adult Swim's already announced Samurai Champloo & Paranoia Agent in January alone, along with Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex 2ND GIG.

Never mind the fact that half of what G4 signs is sheer garbage, anyway, but then that's my personal opinion. And then there's also the fact that both TechTV and G4 were/are notorious for their excessive commercial breaks, and G4's gotten into the ridiculous habit of manipulating the audio tracks and aspect ratios of each of their shows. Adult Swim doesn't do that, and they keep commercial breaks to...maybe two per show at the most?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Adult Swim doesn't do that, and they keep commercial breaks to...maybe two per show at the most?

Only one, about 5 minutes in length while each episode segment is roughly 10 minutes, just like the DVD. At least that's what I've noticed the last couple of years.
deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Secondly, you accuse Adult Swim of lacking enough anime? And you hold TechTV over them? Do you realise that TechTV/G4 has updated their lineup less than Adult Swim? They only tend to add two or three new shows every year-and-a-half or so, and lately it's all done in half-series. In 2004, Adult Swim acquired Read or Die, The Animatrix, Fullmetal Alchemist, Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex, Detective Conan, The Super Milk-chan Show, and confirmed that they had broadcast rights to both Inu-Yasha movies, Metropolis, and Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door. In 2004, G4 acquired...half of Last EXILE, half of ROD: TV, half of Gungrave, some portion of Gad Guard, and I think they announced Abenobashi some time at the very end of December. Adult Swim, in 2004, scored more then twice the haul G4 did; possibly even four times the haul because the best G4 could muster was half of each show. And in 2005, Adult Swim's already announced Samurai Champloo & Paranoia Agent in January alone, along with Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex 2ND GIG.

I judge based on quality over quantity. Yes, AS has got a lot of anime, but not a whole lot actually worth watching. They got Read or Die, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, Detective Conan, and Metropolis. And they have announced they will show Paranoia Agent and Ghost in the Shell 2nd GIG, but since TechTV doesn't really announce their shows that far in advance it's not really fair to count those two because who knows what TechTV will have by then. Also unlike AS, from what I've seen, when TechTV gets a really good show like Lain, they don't just let the license run out. How many good shows has AS let the license of run out so they could replace it with crap? Or shows like Yu Yu Hakusho that was moved from AS to Toonami, so they could replace it with what? Have you ever seen an all day anime marathon on CN? No, and I doubt you ever will. TechTV seems to listen to the fans alot more then AS. Yeah, they do the aspect ratio thing, but it doesn't really bother me, I don't even notice it. They only show I remember it being noticible on was Gungrave, and that's not really worth watching. And yes, TechTV goes through their shows quickly, but what they have that AS usually doesn't, is shows that are worth watching more then once.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:30 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
Also unlike AS, from what I've seen, when TechTV gets a really good show like Lain, they don't just let the license run out.

That's because they haven't been showing anime long enough for their licenses to expire. They've only been showing anime for two years and one month (almost to the date), let's see if they're still showing Betterman in 2007, I'm betting not.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
but since TechTV doesn't really announce their shows that far in advance it's not really fair to count those two because who knows what TechTV will have by then.

Firstly, stop calling it TechTV. There is no TechTV anymore!

Secondly, I've always seen this as another majour problem of theirs, thanks for reminding me. Both TechTV and G4 are abysmal at announcing new anime. They either whisper about it once a month in advance so nobody hears or they give a formal announcement within three days of its debut so people are caught off-guard. Great ideas, guys. And their announcements about which series are next in rotation are even more impromptu. Announce it on TV too, geniuses, don't just put it in your painful-to-navigate website.

deathbringer wrote:
Also unlike AS, from what I've seen, when TechTV gets a really good show like Lain, they don't just let the license run out. How many good shows has AS let the license of run out so they could replace it with crap? Or shows like Yu Yu Hakusho that was moved from AS to Toonami, so they could replace it with what?

G4 hasn't had the Lain license as long as Cartoon Network had Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo!, or Outlaw Star. Close, but not quite. And as far as we know, no Adult Swim shows have expired. What has expired is the "old guard" of Toonami that was used as AS filler until they got enough of their own anime to stand on their own two feet. Granted, Kikaider & Reign haven't been seen in a while, but Outlaw Star & Tenchi Muyo! were absent for well over a year before they magically reappeared alongside Pilot Candidate, Gundam 0083, Mobile Suit Gundam, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, & Cowboy Bebop.

As for Yuu Yuu Hakusho, they figured it would work better on Toonami, so they moved it. Whaddya know, they were right, too. I also don't see how this really applies; Cartoon Network has two anime-inclusive programming blocks, while TechTV/G4 have always only had one. Of course they aren't moving shows, where would they move them to? Granted, they have moved Anime Unleashed itself around way too much for its own good (which, coupled with their inability to announce anything beyond obscure website updates, was not a wise idea).

deathbringer wrote:
Have you ever seen an all day anime marathon on CN? No, and I doubt you ever will.

I seem to remember something once or twice for Dragon Ball Z.

deathbringer wrote:
TechTV seems to listen to the fans alot more then AS.

Based on what? Evidence? I seem to remember Adult Swim bringing in Trigun, Samurai Champloo, & Big O at the request of fans.

deathbringer wrote:
And yes, TechTV goes through their shows quickly, but what they have that AS usually doesn't, is shows that are worth watching more then once.

This is subjective. Personally, the only show on G4 I'd consistently take over anything Cartoon Network has is Boogiepop Phantom. Last EXILE, Lain, ROD: TV, SoulTaker, and the Sekai no Senki entries are excellent stuff, but I personally feel that Cowboy Bebop, Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, Big O, Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex, FLCL, Read or Die, Lupin III, Detective Conan, & Fullmetal Alchemist make for a more solid lineup (especially since, these shows being dubbed, the voice acting on most of G4's shows is horribly lacking, making even something as great as Crest or Banner of the Stars a mindnumbing chore to force my way through).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
And as far as we know, no Adult Swim shows have expired.

One of the admins on the AS Message Boards mentioned in December that they no longer have Reign: The Conqueror, which began airing in February 2003.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:16 am Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
And as far as we know, no Adult Swim shows have expired.

One of the admins on the AS Message Boards mentioned in December that they no longer have Reign: The Conqueror, which began airing in February 2003.

And when was the last time that was shown on AS?
deathbringer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:29 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I personally feel that Cowboy Bebop, Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, Big O, Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex, FLCL, Read or Die, Lupin III, Detective Conan, & Fullmetal Alchemist make for a more solid lineup .

How many of those shows are currently on AS though? An OVA that airs maybe once or twice a year and another OVA that will air again who knows when is your idea of a good lineup? And shows like Lupin and Detective Conan will probably just sit on the sidelines till their licenses expire and AS dumps them, since they've given them such crappy treatment. And I remember CN showing a couple of the DBZ movies back to back, but I don't believe it was for 13 hours like the Last Exile marathon. Also Pilot Candidate was an AS show, but I'm fairly certain they no longer have the rights to that anymore. As far as TechTV announcing new anime goes, I think the people that watch it know about it. I seem to remember quite a few discussions about ROD TV when it started airing, despite the fact that people only found out a couple days in advance. And I don't watch AS every night, since there's absolutely no reason to, but the only time I've seen commercials for FMA or GiTS was while I was watching them. I haven't seen any TV ads for Paranoia Agent, Metropolis, or the second season of GiTS, so I could argue that AS does just as bad a job as advertising their new shows as TechTV does. I wouldn't have heard about any of those shows if I didn't visit the AS website. At least TechTV sticks to their schedule, when I tune in to watch Abenobashi next week, I'm 100% confident it will be on. Unlike when I wanted to see the New Year's Eve showing of Metropolis on AS. I remember them flip flopping on the FMA air date as well.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

I believe it was sometime last summer or fall.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
Also Pilot Candidate was an AS show, but I'm fairly certain they no longer have the rights to that anymore.

Pilot Candidate wasn't an AS show. It was a Toonami show they threw on AS to take up a timeslot. The same with Gundam 0083. That's why both were edited to TV-Y7.

Quote:
And I don't watch AS every night, since there's absolutely no reason to, but the only time I've seen commercials for FMA or GiTS was while I was watching them. I haven't seen any TV ads for Paranoia Agent, Metropolis, or the second season of GiTS, so I could argue that AS does just as bad a job as advertising their new shows as TechTV does.

I've seen GitS and FMA ads during the week. And the reason PA, SC, Metropolis, or 2nd GIG aren't being advertised is because those don't have air dates yet. AS doesn't usually start advertising shows until about two weeks before they premiere, so they can be sure that they can air the show at that time. They don't want to continue have a situtation like they did with the first Inuyasha movie, where they announced it would air in October, but VIZ wouldn't let them air it until the DVD had been out for six months. Same with how Metropolis was pushed back to an unknown time.

Quote:
Unlike when I wanted to see the New Year's Eve showing of Metropolis on AS. I remember them flip flopping on the FMA air date as well.

AS didn't get the tapes for FMA from FUNi until a few weeks before it premiered.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quote
deathbringer wrote:
And I remember CN showing a couple of the DBZ movies back to back, but I don't believe it was for 13 hours like the Last Exile marathon.

Well, there was Toonami: Full Cycle back on 4/8/2000 from 6am Saturday to 6am Sunday which included Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z, Ronin Warriors, and Sailor Moon. While it did include non-anime, there was enough anime included to make up atleast 12 hours of programming. Besides, a freak marathon is hardly a sign of G4TechTV's dedication when they only show an hour of anime a day normally.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

I believe it was sometime last summer or fall.

Proof please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7