• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Shippūden to Debut on Disney XD on October 28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakaShin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't care how crappy a job they did on Naruto, I'll still watch it. It beats watching crappy reality tv shows that every (*(*&&*%*&2 god *&98729309 damn )(*(8932890(%& tv station airs. Believe it!
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
i wouldn't be getting hyped up cause it has a TV-PG rating.

if it's the same as the toonami broadcasts,it's good for us cause it wont be severly edited but i do not see that ep 1 is gonna have some kind of backlash once parents , FCC Censorship and kids safe friendly advocates gets a full eyesight of spoiler[ Konhamaru using the semi-nude ninja centerfold that's being blocked by smoke.] not to mentioned the amount of death & kill swearing too. it may pass on CN cause it has more FCC rights like having a fel S - bombs on it's AS block, but the suggestive themes and such on shippuden wont go well for xD. not to mentioned the OP will get edited and have a crappy opening in it's place.

For the n+1st time, the FCC has no say regarding cable as long as it doesn't qualify as obscene. The broadcast standards are all self imposed.
vilapupu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, I did see some little on disney xd. yeah, it has some edits.
Please Note: that Viz media created the edits so no need to blame disney xd. there just the broadcasters of the anime series. Like everyone already said, Viz Media still handles anything that may need to be edit out.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, I watched the first four, and the only noticable differences are 1) replacing the word "kill" with "destroy" or "defeat," same as 4Kids has done for years, 2) extra heavy cloud cover on Sexy Jutsu, 3) renaming Sexy Jutsu to Cutie/Hottie Jutsu, and 4) changing the animation on the ending theme. On #4, I'm not so upset, at least they kept the original ED music, instead of CN's horrible "ROCKS to your soul" crap. I'm not as disappointed as I thought I'd be, it could have been a lot worse.
Airforce1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Meh, they butchered it. I'm just going to wait for the uncut dvd's.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
replacing the word "kill" with "destroy" or "defeat,"

GODDAMMIT WHY DO COMPANIES DO THAT IT MAKES NO SENSE THERE'S NO POINT IT SOUNDS AWKWARD

Er...sorry. What I meant to say is, I consider such writing to be a suboptimal delivery of a script with little to recommend to it.
manga1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
I like the shows to be as close to a litteral translation as possible, that is how the artist intended it to be. That is why I stick to the sub though the translation can be lost for words in some circomstances where there is no comparable word in a langage.

I reguard such changes as someones attempt to stand on their ladder and piss on the crowd and doing so just because they can, and there is not a thing the crowd can do about it.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
Airforce1 wrote:
Meh, they butchered it. I'm just going to wait for the uncut dvd's.

Shay Guy wrote:
GODDAMMIT WHY DO COMPANIES DO THAT IT MAKES NO SENSE THERE'S NO POINT IT SOUNDS AWKWARD

manga1 wrote:
I reguard such changes as someones attempt to stand on their ladder and piss on the crowd and doing so just because they can, and there is not a thing the crowd can do about it.

I don't know if the proper response here is Laughing or Rolling Eyes .

Minor edits to single words and covering up a bit of skin is NOT butchering. This is amazingly lenient, we ARE talking about Disney here and I applaud them for such a good showing on their attempt at airing this type of anime.

As far as artist intentions go, the artist in this case intended for it to be manga first and foremost and a sizeable chunk of each of these episodes are filler not found in the manga used to pad out the episodes. Kishimoto's vision was long altered before Viz got to it.

And maybe it's just me, but anyone can just "kill" someone, but to "destroy" them seems much more aggressive and brutal. But either way, I'll take synonyms over outright rewrites any day.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
Watching people lose thier shit over minor edits when there's obvious other issues that weren't edited is hilarious.

And then I remember the UK is a wasteland of poor tv in comparison.

And then I go for my "Envoker" and "Try to summon my persona".
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:12 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
And maybe it's just me, but anyone can just "kill" someone, but to "destroy" them seems much more aggressive and brutal. But either way, I'll take synonyms over outright rewrites any day.
Technically they aren't synonyms as you're not supposed to use "destroy" for living creatures or "kill" for non-living but it's not like people don't get the message either way. It's just one of those pointless artifacts of the a time when different things were censored from what is done now. The FCC's shadow looms far beyond it's legal reach and it's authority grows in increments when people aren't paying attention.

Of course, I'm from the "slap a warning label on it and your fine" camp, with a few minor provisos.

Anyway, the edits were minimal and about what CN did originally. I underline for emphasis because we have to remember that Disney hasn't exactly shown a lot of anime on X D before and certainly hasn't shown Naruto before now. To them, this is a new show and they're looking at it the same way, more or less, that CN did the first time they showed Naruto. They're actually making fewer mistakes than CN in my opinion by not ditching the original music.

Considering that editing/censorship on the CN run diminished as time went on, this is likely a good thing. We can probably expect to see it decline on Disney X D as well. (Hopefully the ratings will do the opposite and rise.)

Really hoping Airforce1 was being sarcastic. Butchering would be what Toei allowed and approved 4kids to to do to One Piece! (Or as it should be called, Pun Piece! Seriously not funny making nearly every line a pun.)

Kinda agree with Shay Guy, because I just think it's a silly censor and I disagree so hard with manga1 that if my disagreement were given physical form it would require a new category of 11 on Moh's scale of Mineral Hardness. (The absolute hardness rating would be 80,000.)

Seriously, not every little change should be viewed with such a hyperbolic display of disgust. Kishimoto's vision was changed before it was ever even published! Naruto is a commercial work. The man has an editor who tells him to change things to make it sell better! (Even if he didn't and every drawing he sent was 100% unaltered before being published/animated, there's still the matter that his artistic vision may not be accurately represented by his artistic skill! Perhaps Kishimoto's own work is only a vague interpretation of his TRUE artistic vision that exists in his mind.)

Regardless, adapting something for the sake of expanding an audience is not an "attempt to stand on their ladder and piss on the crowd" but rather an attempt to spread interest in or profit from something. If no one had ever translated the series in the first place, you'd likely not be here with us sharing your opinions.

Can we all agree that having Naruto: Shippuden on TV at all is a good thing? Even if you don't plan to watch, isn't it a good thing that it's on TV where someone who might never have heard of it might see it, go "this show is great! I'm so buying the DVDs/Blu-Ray/Digital-Download-To-Own!"
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
Yes, it doesn't sound like things are off to a bad start (didn't tune in, I admit). I'm curious what happens when they get to some later episodes, but there's no point in worrying about that now. If the show doesn't do well on Disney then it won't even get to the part with Hidan. But seriously, how they'll handle him I have no idea.

Oh yeah, what early episode is it when Deidara spoiler[takes out guards with exploding face-spiders and the head guard slaughters a whole bunch of them]? That will be an early test of Disney's censorship, won't it?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling this is going to end up exceptionally terriable though. It would not surprize me at all if all the violence was edited, all the swears were censored out and anything else that isn't G rated is edited as well.

I still wonder if Disney realizes Naruto isn't G rated and isn't completerly violence free. I just have a feeeling there is going to be some unnecessary edit's as well.

Either way, there is no way I'd watched this edited version. One because its on Disney, and two because of the high amount of edits. Now if show go be uncut and unedited, then maybe I would watch this.
maichips

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
I don't quite understand why they would replace "kill" with "destroy." It's not like Disney hasn't used "kill" in any of its movies. Just look at the Lion King! They say "I killed Mufasa," like, four times! *shrug* It's just a minor matter of confusion for me.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Awesome, edits! It's like it's really 1999!
braves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Oh yeah, what early episode is it when Deidara spoiler[takes out guards with exploding face-spiders and the head guard slaughters a whole bunch of them]? That will be an early test of Disney's censorship, won't it?

Both of those things happened in this premiere. spoiler[They didn't show the spiders blowing up on their face, just the explosions from far away. And the soldiers that got slaughtered didn't have a single drop of blood among them (as far as I could see); there was a little bit on Yura, though, but I think that one just got away. ]

spoiler[They also cut out most of the part where Sasuke pulls out his sword and tries to stab Naruto. ]

And yeah, changing "kill" for "destroy" is actually more funny for me than something I would get mad about. No one in real life would use "destroy" instead of "kill" to threaten someone or to refer to take someone's life away. They did mess up one of my favorite lines from Itachi, though. Razz

Meh, I didn't really plan on following this broadcast to begin with. But I am intrigued in following the Hidan and Kakuzu arc now just to see how they're gonna deal with that. I'm sure it'll provide more than a few laughs.

lol@ artist intentions. Yes, this is the work of an artist (from ep. 28, worst episode ever).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4