• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Shippūden to Debut on Disney XD on October 28

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Both of those things happened in this premiere.

Thanks for the responses, braves. I expected they would remove the blood and skip over the exploding faces (even though the execution was pretty tame to begin with, it's still a pretty violent concept). The fact that they removed a scene of Sasuke almost, but not quite, stabbing Naruto concerns me. I mean, nothing actually happened there!

Quote:
Yes, this is the work of an artist (from ep. 28, worst episode ever).

Thanks a lot, I had managed to block that fight out of my memory until now Anime smile. Thankfully spoiler[Sakura and Chiyo-baasama] vs. Sasori is made up of almost 100% awesome, so it made the stupid clone-fighting scenes survivable for me.
bankai3232

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
JediJaina wrote:
No offense to ANN, but why so late? Viz had the announcement back on October 16th.

Oh and it's going to be one episode a week after this. They also will be repeating the episodes, check the Disney Anime hyper schedule for details.

When an announcement is mainly just to update the release/airing date and when most of the other details were already known from a previous article, ANN typically devotes just a daily brief and not a full news article so we can concentrate on more time-sensitive news. ANN's usual policy is to post the date of an anime's American television premiere during the week of the premiere — not as breaking news, but a helpful reminder to tune in.

ANN announced this in early Sept. and they added it right after the official PR. You just missed that and jumped to a rather large conclusion. Why so wrong?
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
The fact that they removed a scene of Sasuke almost, but not quite, stabbing Naruto concerns me. I mean, nothing actually happened there!

It could just be a matter of time editing. Considering this part of the episode is woefully out of place anyway (still a bit annoyed that drawn out reveal of Sasuke in the manga was discarded for a cheap peak into the future in the anime) it's as good as anywhere to do one. We'll have to see how it is when they actually get to that episode.

As for inconsistent dialogue changes, just a thought, but this is Viz and Disney's first time doing something like this together so it could be Viz doing things it expects Disney to want done. I'm guessing they put together the edited episodes while they were still in the process of shopping it around so this could actually be more heavy handed than what Disney will actually allow.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The first episode reruns in 5 minutes. All 4 episodes rerun tomorrow night at 10PM Eastern. Just in case any of y'all were like me and missed it.

*edit*

braves wrote:
And yeah, changing "kill" for "destroy" is actually more funny for me than something I would get mad about. No one in real life would use "destroy" instead of "kill" to threaten someone or to refer to take someone's life away. They did mess up one of my favorite lines from Itachi, though. Razz

Rachel from Animorphs said it best I think:

"I was going to hunt him down. I was going to hunt him down and destroy him.

No, not destroy. That was a weasel word. It was vague, meaningless. I was going to kill him."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
I had great fears of potential edits possibly ruining this series, but so far I didn't see anything that troubled me to any serious degree. The true test will likely be later on, when there's stronger or more suggestive content. So, it remains to be seen.

Based on the first four episodes, I'm extremely pleased and will be watching every week (especially if the quality of the show doesn't tank like the previous series' snooze-worthy fillers).

Come on Viz and Disney... let's see a Prince of Tennis deal! Cool
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
SXAniMedia wrote:
Come on Viz and Disney... let's see a Prince of Tennis deal! Cool

Hell, while we're at it, how about bringing back One Piece? It has a silly enough vibe to appeal to Disney X-D's audience, and I can't think of anything beyond Sanji's cigarette that would need to be censored for Disney X-D's standards. I loved the Funimation dub on Toonami, and wished they hadn't dropped it mid-arc. Funimation is always willing to put their programs on anything legal they can(from Hulu to Youtube to AS Video, plus any network that will air it, like Adult Swim and IFC), I don't see why they wouldn't try it.

Seriously, make One Piece happen for us. Toonami never aired the early episodes in any decent, non-4Kids format, so it'd be like watching a brand new show, no recycling(just like the airing of Naruto Shippuden after CN aired the first series). And of course they could air other anime, but I'm drawing a blank on ones that would work here and with the Disney X-D audience appeal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
Airforce1 wrote:
Meh, they butchered it. I'm just going to wait for the uncut dvd's.

No kidding. It aint 4kids awful,but it's really bad for hardcore fans. it's gonna bomb as worse as 4kids version of one piece in spades especially in latter epsiodes. I'll take my chances with the dvds as well and wait after a year cause then it wont show on xD cause unfortunately like with one piece is gonna be the most pirated and illegaly downloaded & streamed series in internet history. especially since somehow dvd rippers are getting them and streaming the uncut dubs online days before the official releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Airforce1 wrote:

No kidding. It aint 4kids awful,but it's really bad for hardcore fans. it's gonna bomb as worse as 4kids version of one piece in spades especially in latter epsiodes. I'll take my chances with the dvds as well and wait after a year cause then it wont show on xD cause unfortunately like with one piece is gonna be the most pirated and illegaly downloaded & streamed series in internet history. especially since somehow dvd rippers are getting them and streaming the uncut dubs online days before the official releases.

It's definitely not butchering. Butchering is where the show isn't even recognizable as its original. Shippuden was not butchered. A few gory discretion shots, a renamed jutsu, the plot still makes perfect sense. That isn't butchering, that is simple censorship, which is NOT the same thing. Naruto Shippuden's plot still makes perfect sense with a slightly renamed jutsu and some violence being less visible. Maybe you need to look up what butchering really means.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Airforce1 wrote:

It's definitely not butchering. Butchering is where the show isn't even recognizable as its original. Shippuden was not butchered. A few gory discretion shots, a renamed jutsu, the plot still makes perfect sense. That isn't butchering, that is simple censorship, which is NOT the same thing. Naruto Shippuden's plot still makes perfect sense with a slightly renamed jutsu and some violence being less visible. Maybe you need to look up what butchering really means.

But, Dood, Butchering to these poor fools means changing one iota of their precious Emo Ninja Z anime.

Butchering to me is what Jetix did to the original Naurto. In fact, let's put some videos from youtube up of that effort:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x0ONXcyFuI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeZBP2L7lzc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgEUkbd_Nc

Now turn around to me, look me in the eye through the internet and tell me what Disney did (Disney US to Shipuden, just so we're clear on that, smartaleks) was "Butchering".

Show me a man who says so, and I'll show you a deluded fool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4