• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: RIN-NE's Rumiko Takahashi Answers Readers' Questions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
I like how they avoided using the questions about the Ranma "ending". Rolling Eyes
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I like how they avoided using the questions about the Ranma "ending".

How do you know that they "avoided" the question? Were you at viz headquarters overlooking personally which questions were considered worthy of answering? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
About that Ranma "ending", I would suspect she may go back to it someday, Look at Shaman King. It had its "proper ending" after its "unofficial ending". If Shotaro Ishinomori lived a few years later, then he could could have properly ending Cyborg 009.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Quote:
I like how they avoided using the questions about the Ranma "ending".

How do you know that they "avoided" the question? Were you at viz headquarters overlooking personally which questions were considered worthy of answering? Wink

Don't mind him, that's just Gatsu's typical trademark Smart-aleck cyncism.
kill-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Q. How far out have you plotted the story for RIN-NE?

A. I think it up each week as I go, so even I, the author, have no idea where the story is going.

Mad

OH
MY
GOD
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Swiss: I saw the questions submitted by readers on the site, and more than one of them asked if she was going to continue the series.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
We're on volume 3. At this point, did Ranma show signs of long-term planning? Or Urusei Yatsura? Hell, I'm only two volumes in, but I don't think Maison Ikkoku was all planned out; she just followed the general rule of "actions and events have consequences." InuYasha I've only read one volume of; all I know is that it had a myth arc.

She's not Urasawa. Or Oda, for that matter. Aside from the development of the relationship between the male and female leads, RIN-NE is par for the Takahashi course so far.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear that she's planning to return to the Mermaid saga though I'm sort of dreading the idea that it would have an "ending".
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I was hoping that after 11 odd years of telling Inuyasha, she'd have put together a complicated storyline. Winging a story week by week - ugh.

I prefer my deep stories. It's an escalation of tension! Still, Takahashi usually can at least "find" interesting ploys on a weekly basis.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
kill-chan wrote:
Quote:

A. I think it up each week as I go, so even I, the author, have no idea where the story is going.

Mad

OH
MY
GOD

As expected from the creator of Inuyasha. Nothing to be surprised about.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Ugh, I was hoping that after 11 odd years of telling Inuyasha, she'd have put together a complicated storyline. Winging a story week by week - ugh.

And correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Rumiko Takahashi by her own admission admit that Inuyasha was longer than what it should have been. In Inuyasha it seems once she got to a certain point she probably said to herself "Crud I screwed up, so lets go another 100 chapters and see where it ends up there". I'm probably horribly wrong on that statement but we'll never know what goes through that head of hers.
perroloco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Guys as long as the story is interesting it doesn´t really matter if the author doesn´t have a "set-up" story.

I mean great authors don´t always have their stories planned, it just doesn´t work like a Mystery Novel where you are supposed to think backwards (The ending and then the acts that lead to it) you just can´t do that with a manga since its supposed to be LONG and its also supposed to satisfy (to some extent) reader´s polls.

Toriyama did as Rumiko he just went with the flow of each chapter, an action leads to a consequence and so on (And we all know Dragon Ball was a mega-hit).
Kishimoto didn´t even had Sasuke (or Uchiha Clan) considered in the Narutoverse until his editor suggested that a "rival" type of character would suit the story.
Oda had planned One Piece for like Alabasta arc (IIRC) but since it was popular enought it just went longer, same case with Watsuki and Ruroken which he had planned to last like a year but it was popular enough to survive.
And finally Kurumada... Oooh man, LOL he like just has TONS of plot-holes but thats just his style, just read Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac in the US) and you will see... He planned to do a kind of tournament-style with Saint Seiya, good thing he changed his mind.

And besides, authors need to adjust to the readers demands in the japanese system, imagine what would NARUTO had been without Uchiha clan? Or Dragon Ball without Vegeta?? Well the authors based the decisions of making "x" character more important because of the rankings and character polls.

And ultimatelly, Takahashi has always been more of a "enemy-of-the-week" kind of mangaka IMO.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
kill-chan wrote:
Quote:

Mad

OH
MY
GOD

As expected from the creator of Inuyasha. Nothing to be surprised about.
Indeed, as expected since Ranma1/2. Why do you think her stories last for so long? Laughing
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Come on, what do you expect out of mass media entertainment?
Look at all the songs the Beatles knocked out just to fill out the album, "to pay for the new swimming pool", etc. I love hearing Beatle fanatics go on & on about how incredibly epic every single song the Beatles wrote was, when the composers were often the first to dismiss their own crap like Mr. Kite.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
I've always been a fan Rumiko Takahashi's work and if Inuyasha has the possibility to have a final season, maybe just maybe Ranma 1/2 might have the chance as well.

I look forward to buying Rin-ne though. But now that is there is a slight possibility that Ranma 1/2 might get a actual ending, I am pleased. But no matter what, Rumiko Takahashi is one my favorite authors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2