• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
duofangirl wrote:
I was discussing this with a friend, and he found this in Blizzard's terms and conditions for their pumpkin carving contest:

That's a very generic statement that is probably used for all contests on their site. As it is written, it could be argued that only ownership of the photo was granted (so a different photo of the same pumpkin wouldn't be owned by Blizzard).

Anyways, don't worry, I'll have no problem coming up with the wording of the contest rules for next year.

-t
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
It's interesting that the winning pumpkin was a sculpted pumpkin. There seems to be a growing trend in it because it's easier for some to handle. It is a type of carving (generally the same approach as wood carving), but the approach is different and the pumpkins usually look better in the light than the dark. Although you need a pumpkin with a really thick body to do it.

Some pumpkin sculpting sites:
http://www.pumpkingutter.com/
http://www.cool-pumpkins.geraldgore.com/psculpting.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLD28Tk9JXw

If you want to avoid the controversy over unsuitable entries, then simply require contestants to submit the name of the anime the image is suppose to be of.

I just did a simple ghost this year: http://writerpatrick.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7371949

I was able to hollow it out and scrape most of the body a couple days ahead, then did the face and finishing on Halloween.
Jucky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
It has come to my attention that perhaps a member on this forum had decided my actions were so despicable, they had to berate me in another forum. I'll refrain from posting a link because I feel no need to advertise this type of behavior. I'd just like to say if you were so genuinely offended, you could have simply continued the discussion here where I can at least address your concerns.

I sincerely believe this topic has become more than tiresome and apologize for my need to indulge in a response.

*Sigh*

I just thought it'll be fun.
RiderG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Jucky wrote:
It has come to my attention that perhaps a member on this forum had decided my actions were so despicable, they had to berate me in another forum. I'll refrain from posting a link because I feel no need to advertise this type of behavior. I'd just like to say if you were so genuinely offended, you could have simply continued the discussion here where I can at least address your concerns.

I sincerely believe this topic has become more than tiresome and apologize for my need to indulge in a response.

*Sigh*

I just thought it'll be fun.

well despite the fact that you kicked our butts i hope you come back next year. i wanna see what else you can do Surprised
Jucky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
RiderG wrote:

well despite the fact that you kicked our butts i hope you come back next year. i wanna see what else you can do Surprised

Thanks RiderG. I'll definitely be back...prob do Ryuk as suggested. Yours was actually my favorite and I thought it was going to take top prize. Careful examination shows its not a flat silhouette but a multi-dimensional carving. Probably took some time figuring out the logistics. Impressive stuff!
RiderG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Jucky wrote:
Thanks RiderG. I'll definitely be back...prob do Ryuk as suggested. Yours was actually my favorite and I thought it was going to take top prize. Careful examination shows its not a flat silhouette but a multi-dimensional carving. Probably took some time figuring out the logistics. Impressive stuff!

thanks. i had hopes but what can you do. i drew mine freehand and that alone took about an hour. i think next year i might try to keep the image limited to a flatter surface so i don't have to take so many shots of it at different angles.
Akukame

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Jucky wrote:

Honestly, people like this should just be ignored. They take things way too personally. If they are going to act like that, they shouldn't even participate in the discussion of the contest, let alone in the contest itself. I honestly think people that feel such a need to complain should go find a corner to die in <.<But>.>

Jucky wrote:
I'll definitely be back...prob do Ryuk as suggested.

I don't think taking what people suggest is that fun... I always find it more fun to keep an open mind. You might find something even better to do between now and next year.
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
and one other reason not to take my suggestion... I am going to do it too hahahah
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12