• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Islam in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:31 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
They may think it's cool, which influences why so many Japanese get married in those faux-Christian wedding centers, but none of them are Christian or hold any of those beliefs whatsoever.

The folks at the church I attended in Tokyo this morning might disagree...

...but as hyperbole, that's generally the case. More than once, I've followed a steeple looking for a place to worship and ended up at a wedding chapel instead. I've attended two weddings in Japan; both were Western-style and had Caucasian "priests" (whom I am 99.999% certain were not real priests) speaking in alternating Japanese and English. Even the English was window-dressing; it wasn't for my benefit, and I was the only foreigner present.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Considering how foreign nationality and religion get represented in anime I'd expect Islam wouldn't be portrayed any more accurately. Not that that's bad, mind you. I love our gun-toting magic-slinging smokin' hot nuns and badass priests. But I'm not holding out for any accuracy, or at least not when it's the focus of a story.

I'd like to see it done accurately because I find it interesting. But accuracy isn't exactly on the menu with anime.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
I realize that it's not anime, but have you read Brides' Story? It takes place in central Asia -- although, curiously enough, religion doesn't get mentioned.

(Well, I thought I'd just mention it.)

Volume 5 of Bride's Story contains the double wedding of twins Laila and Leyli to brothers Sarmaan and Farsami, and in Kaoru Mori's beautiful, detailed and respectful style Islamic traditions are depicted in the preparation and ceremony of the wedding. The parts that stood out to me were the ritual slaughter of the animals to prepare meat for the wedding, and the actual ceremony for the couple, held by an Imam. I can't speak for its accuracy, but it is exquisitly drawn!
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
What culture is the girl on Bride's Story's cover from? From everything I'm reading it gives me an area that covers over 6000km and dozens (hundreds?) of cultures. I haven't found anything to pin it down closer.

I only ask because I absolutely LOVE those clothes.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere in the series, is a map -- unfortunately, I don't have access to the books at the moment; so I cannot give you the chapter number.
Meemoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
You have forgotten Magi. Actually Magi is full of Islamic themes such as the design of dungeons as it has Allah in Arabic on it. It has many Islamic words on it too. There is also another thing which is Djinn. We actually believe in Djinn but not this type of Djinn. The anime changed what we actually believe Djinn do, but still left some true things about it. Of course, Djinn are in Quran too. I think the author of Magi is very smart because she actually used things that other cultures believed in, and twisted them into a smart idea. The names are all Islamic names, or at least most of them. There are many Islamic themes in this anime but I can't seem to recall any of them.

Also, there is another anime called Hanasakeru Seishounen. Rumaty's cloths is a lot like Muslims cloths in the past. Even his country has Manarate, and we can see many designs of Islamic themes in their too.

Also in Skip Beat, we get to see the president wearing the Saudi Thob and Omama once, and it was very funny.

The list goes on and on but these are all I can think of. Very Happy
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:41 am Reply with quote
Setsuna was a former Shia Muslim, but he became an apostate. Ali Al Saachez(why does he have that name if he's an Iranian person?) is an Islamist terrorist, who commits martyrdom operations. That girl from Azadistan was a Sufi-Shia Muslim(based on her personality and moderation).

Other than that? No, not really. Besides, it's a known fact that Muslims(not all, but most) are quite crybabish and take offense to any minor criticism/depiction of Islam or their prophet. The thing is, I'm a Christian and people in this country, as well as the countries in post-Christian Europe(bar the microstates and Poland of course) are so negative towards out religion and people have mocked, abused and criticized our prophets far more than any western critic of Islam. That's a reality, but you don't see us calling for death to anti-Christian countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, Sudan, North Korea, you don't see us rioting on the streets killing innocent people and we don't tear down flags and replace them with Christian flags, because we've learnt not to take offense to criticism.

In short, no and there shouldn't be for the safety of Japan and those who are caught up in riots, etc.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
...you don't see us rioting on the streets killing innocent people and we don't tear down flags and replace them with Christian flags, because we've learnt not to take offense to criticism.

Well, that and because employing violence in the name of Christianity violates Jesus' own teachings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4