• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Cutting Through Red Tape

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree on Magikano, a perfect example of something that really is not that good, that is improved enough with the dub to become something worth watching at least once.

A reference to a very funny Dave Chappelle show skit (the Wayne Brady Training Day parody) made its way in.

Plus, sentient talking magical cat panties. They really did steal the show. It inevitable "got serious", and found some sort of conclusion.
You can stop watching at that point if you are not a completist.
jamesleung

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Awesome column, Erin! It's always interesting reading your column because you're either a week behind me or a week ahead of me. Really cool...

If your really going to classify it, Magikano is really a Magic Girl incestuous harem comedy. Let's face it. The show is filled with moe fan service and bad anime tropes, but it has its moments (refer Cat Panties). Don't want to say more than that...

On another note, I think the "buy/rent/throw away" paradigm is extremely relevant. For many urban small apartment dwellers, space is at a premium. I try to throw away (or store) as many things as I acquire. (I think Right Stuf will eventually bury me if don't stop buying truck loads of merch from their frequent discount sales.)

Erin has forced me out of the lurker's corner... grrr...
yblees

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Erin wrote:
(There's a recipe for red bean buns on Funimation's website, which is good, because after 39 episodes of this, you're really going to want to eat one.)

No, just... stay away from red beans. Oh man are they nasty.
Laughing
They can be great if made well.
But the paste burns reaalll easy - leaving a nasty smoked flavour.
Japanese desserts use it like jam or cream filling.
I've had a really amazing mochi dessert filled with bean paste and an entire fresh strawberry - mmmmm.

RE: Saiunkoku.
Quote:
outwit other characters by overwhelming them with paperwork
Sometimes also true in real life Twisted Evil
It IS very much like a teaching anime, something that could be used to educate young teens about adult complexities, and learning to read behind and between the lines.
But it's also has enough humour, suspense and mild fanservice (?) to completely capture my attention every single episode so far.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
jamesleung wrote:
Let's face it. The show is filled with moe fan service and bad anime tropes, but it has its moments (refer Cat Panties). Don't want to say more than that...

But the fan service and tropes are all done in parody, which is why it was tolerable. (At least for me.)

I believe you were kinder to D. Gray Man in your review in Giant Robot magazine! But maybe you watched the first season...
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Erin, you did a great job of summing up what I liked about D. Gray-Man. The whole idea that the Akuma are people's dead loved ones, and (in contrast to Bleach) the fact that it actually does something with that premise, instead of just using them as generic monsters.

Note that I said liked, because the series soon decides to start using them as generic monsters and the whole thing turns into one boring drawn-out shonen fight-fest. I guess it's even more like Bleach in that respect.

I am enough of a politics nerd that I want to see Saiunkoku now, based on your saying that it was mostly about bureaucracy. I am not ashamed. Mostly.
Alestal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Why hello there Paranoia Agent bootleg! You had me excited there for a second, thinking they had a single disc release!

I seriously support The Twelve Kingdoms comments, and I agree that Yoko's transformation was the highlight of that amazing show.

The Story of Saiunkoko is a decent watch, but it is far to long. The lead was very likable though, but she was a little unrealistic.
Pokedpoker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
My friends recommended D. Gray Man, but I never got around watching it. One, I wanted someone to *actually* give me a good summary of it. Two, its 103 episodes. Three, I thought I was going to be completely lost. However, after reading your excellent review, I have changed my mind. Maybe I'll watch it over the weekend Very Happy
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Funi doesn't have any episodes up on their site and when I was just about to get it on Netflix it suddenly shifted to my saved folder, I think all the copies must've been out/lost.

This also happened with the 4 discs of the original Geneon Ikki Tousen, but the latest Funimation 2 disc release showed up a little while later. I will throw it (Saiunkoku) in my queue as well, so maybe they will purchase it. (though I already picked up the 39 episode set, still unwatched, but am greatly looking forward to it).

*edit* It is all on Netflix currently except disc 1 of the 1st 13 episode set. Lots of series are like this there, and usually, nothing can be done since I am sure volume 1 of the 1st season is now well out of print.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:04 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:
And the requirement for rental shelf is that you have to laugh at least once every episode?

Yikes! I didn't mean to imply that. I would say that's important for comedy series specifically.

I mean, Perishable titles ought to be really actively heinously bad. Someone else mentioned that the average title is going to be rental, and that's definitely true.

Ah, I didn't mean that I thought that was the only requirement! I was just amused at how you had to admit that it made you laugh so it couldn't be a perishable title after all, it just amused me that's all.

Gewürtztraminer wrote:

*edit* It is all on Netflix currently except disc 1 of the 1st 13 episode set. Lots of series are like this there, and usually, nothing can be done since I am sure volume 1 of the 1st season is now well out of print.

Knowing Netflix I'm sure they'll find a way to get a copy of the first DVD sooner or later. Rightstuf still has copies so it's out there at least.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Perhaps it gets more interesting and original after the fourth volume, but from what I've read online and heard from friends, I really doubt it.

Well, the story definitely picks up after volume four (the first four cover the introductory phase and a little more); having said that, if you've heard about what happens afterward, I guess you don't really need to read any more to know whether or not you'd like it, as you said.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
boshima wrote:
Bonus points to whom ever can find the $2 bill in the pictures!!!

Points. Now.
jamesleung

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

I believe you were kinder to D. Gray Man in your review in Giant Robot magazine! But maybe you watched the first season...

I did watch past the first season of D.Gray Man, but my review only pertains to the first season DVDs. I didn't want to go beyond the scope of that...

Actually my review of Magikano doesn't really stray too far from your review.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Love the column so far! I saw most of the first season of Saiunkoku. I love Shurei (love Yoko of 12 Kingdoms, too, but that's been covered) but I found the pacing slow, the animation lacking, and details not well explained (thanks for explaining what exactly Shurei did at the brothel. Now can someone please explain what's up with her dad, and how her family fell from grace?) I do want to finish it one day, because the plot is very compelling.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I am enough of a politics nerd that I want to see Saiunkoku now, based on your saying that it was mostly about bureaucracy. I am not ashamed. Mostly.

Yeah, for all the glowy reviews of Saiunkoku, battle-by-bureaucracy is first thing that has ever made me seriously consider flipping it to blind-buy.

I would also like to echo some of the early comments on how while still long, this week was much more readible than last week. Besides, I like long. Not to mention, as many times as the books popped up in the reviews & post-mortem, it renews my hope that they might finally join the process (and why not? streams did.)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

I would also like to echo some of the early comments on how while still long, this week was much more readible than last week. Besides, I like long. Not to mention, as many times as the books popped up in the reviews & post-mortem, it renews my hope that they might finally join the process (and why not? streams did.)

Are you saying you want Shelf Life to start covering manga or light novels? Because that won't happen - it takes far too much time to watch all these box sets as it is, plus we have a dedicated manga column that covers light novels regularly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5