• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Shuts Down, Parent Transfers Assets to Other Companies

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
HOLY GOD!!!

i never expected ADV to fold just like that!!!

damm this economy SUCKS!!!!

several years ago when anime was getting more popular, i went to Project A-Kon and attended one of their conference...

i believe it was Matt Greenfield that said he never expected anime would become this popular ever since he started the company producing VHS tapes....

but now it's gone just like that....

farewell....you were my all time favorite company and i will sorely miss you!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Just a few years ago it was the biggest North American anime licensee. Shocked Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
So they are now officially dead as well...thanks for all the good stuff you brought us!
Beruda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean they are no more? If so I am very sorry to hear this. I've been a fairly regular customer over the years and seeing another outlet go under is not good. I hope more employees as well as the owners find other jobs and opportunities.

B.
merr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, for a while there it looked like they might get back on their feet. This really sucks. I'm gonna miss them.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
People might want to follow the money trail some more before thinking that ADV is just "shutting down".

Hint: All of these companies are owned by two people. One of them is the owner of Sentai.

Last edited by bayoab on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Their online VOD section sucked and never worked. They just didn't understand the market anymore nor how to make money anymore. Hopefully this will help. Maybe the new owners will plunk all their content onto CrunchyRoll and just sit back and rake in the money - its better than spending money going nowhere with their own VOD setup.

But, anyways, I feel sad... they were one of the first in the market here in the US... I used to meet up with them all the time at the shows in New York, and they used to remark how my booth carried more of their products than any other place they had ever seen - including brick and mortar stores.

It's the end of an era...

But hopefully the start of something new. I am glad they transferred the assets.
Lann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Soooooo does this altogether rule out the production of live action Eva? Or does this mean it will be handled by those new companies that ADV folded into?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:00 pm Reply with quote

...it's just...so sad...

...there's just no words I can use to describe this...

I always thought that this would be inevitable...but to actually see it...

...I don't even know why I bothered commenting now, I just feel so...god
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is sad news, the R1 industry keeps getting screwed over it would seem (Tokyopop sure did, but I can't say they honestly didn't somewhat deserve karma to hit them like a ton of bricks, I'm sorry, that was evil of me to say). It looked like ADV was doing well again for a while there, they even rescued a few CPM titles, didn't they?

On a side note, anyone who does not yet own a copy of Princess Tutu needs to procure one right away.
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
from boom to bust in a few short years.....

at least some of the ex-staffers managed to get jobs with the other companies....

....whom we'll hear from in the next few days.... so this isn't over yet.
nagato316

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow...I knew ADV's had it pretty rough the past couple of years. But the acquisition of Now and Then, Here and There and Grave of the Fireflies made me hopeful that this company would ride out the current economic downturn somehow and survive. Guess not...*sigh*

About a decade ago, ADV was primarily responsible for fueling my resurgent otakuism, thanks to so many dirt-cheap selections at Best Buy (thank you, Essential Anime Collection!). And so many good memories...Gunsmith Cats. Martian Successor Nadesico. Azumanga Daioh. Too many to list and remember.

And lest we forget, that angsty and Freudian-psychology-inspired apocalyptic mecha thing from Gainax and Hideaki Anno whose name escapes me. Laughing (Didn't JesuOtaku do a whole doctoral dissertation on it recently?) Wink

Though ADV Films' fortune had already started going south some time ago (and thus shutting down wasn't out of the realm of possibility), that still doesn't lessen the sting and the sadness knowing that one more domestic anime distributor is gone. Best of luck to Greenfield, Ledford, and pretty much everyone in the organization as far as future endeavors.

It started with Greenfield distributing videotapes of Devil Hunter Yohko out of his closet or warehouse...and alas it ends here...ADV, we'll miss ya... Crying or Very sad

Last edited by nagato316 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
slickwolfie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry to see this happening to such a fantastic company. They are the reason I watch anime today. Their online player has a ton of great series that I am in the middle of watching as we speak.
Slick
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Thank god. They're finally putting this corpse in its casket. It's been pathetic for years.

It's a little sad that such a once-mighty licensor is put to rest, but honestly, it's no shocker whatsoever.

So long, ADV. Your titles were a mixed bag, your dubs were terrible, but your enthusiasm was strong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hussar67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
It looks like ADV is almost certain to go into bankruptcy this month. A sad fate for one of the powerhouses in American distribution. Whatever your feelings in regard to the company, their impact from the late 1990s to the mid 2000s was immense and brought a lot more fans to anime and introduced a host of amazing voice talent. Good luck and best wishes to everyone down in Houston.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 17