• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kūchū Buranko (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tankerboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Kūchū Buranko (TV)

Because it was too much effort for ANN to review, I watched the first episode of Kuchu Buranko with absolutely no idea about what it was.

What it is, basically, is a series that looks like it will rank up with Furi Kuri (Fooly Cooly) as one of the most discussed and analyzed anime.

A mixture of live, rotoscope, and anime, there's a psychiatrist who represented by three separate personae; patients who are sometimes portrayed as symbolic Japanese animals (a crane in the first episode and a rhinoceros in the second); and a bored, sexy nurse whose function so far seems to be given injections with a huge hypodermic needle when she isn't reading a magazine and chain smoking.

The episodes make sense but, like FLCL, you gotta work at it.

If anyone else has seen KB I'd really like to hear what they have to say about it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the first two episodes and enjoyed both. Part of it is that I really appreciate any series that goes for a different look and is aimed at an adult audience, since that is fairly rare for the new Fall shows. I'm enjoying Aoi Bungaku for the same reason (although obviously its visual style is much more conventional compared to Kuchu Buranko).

But I'm also enjoying the humour - the Monty Pythonesque touches of that Doctor who occasionally pops out to make some comment about various psychological conditions, for example. I'd love to own this series on DVD eventually, but given today's climate, I figure its chances of getting a R1 release range from squat to no friggin' way. If it ever does get picked up, it seems like a Nozomi catch.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it sucks that this didn't make it into the Fall Preview Guide; shows like this need all the exposure that they can get.

So far I've seen episode 1 and I enjoyed it. I figure that I was pretty much guaranteed to have some amount of interest in the show since many of the same people involved in Mononoke, one of my favorite anime, are responsible for this series as well.

When I watched the first episode, I originally felt that it was amusing but didn't have as much depth as Mononoke (though it's sort of unfair to make too many comparisons to that series since they're different entities, it's become difficult not to). Thinking on it for the past week I've come to realize that there's a lot of symbolism amongst the wackiness and I think it would definitely be worth picking apart a little bit.

And of course part of the appeal is the visuals, which are definitely unlike pretty much any other current series. I was initially hesitant when I heard that the visual style would include live-action elements, but I like how they've incorporated that.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, since I'm enjoying Aoi Bungaku, and since it seems like my hunger for currently airing shows hasn't been satisfied, even though I'm watching like everything out there(obviously, excluding Asura Cryin'); I'll be giving this series another go. Yes, the art was totally out of place and weird, something I'm not used(fond) to. I also dislike 3-d anime(a few exceptions) and live-action with japanese actors(no, it's definitely not about racism), so it took me 3 minutes to give up on this.
An adult show as a refresher wouldn't be so bad. I'll be giving an update once I'm done with episode 1 and 2.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
Well, like I said, this reminds my a lot of FLCL in that often nothing is what it seems, the script and the art is completely off the wall (or hook, depending on your generation). I'm interested to see if the symbolic animals will be continued, I assume they will. The crane in the first ep is a basic symbol in both Japan and China, symbolizing peace and wisdom.

spoiler[The rhino in the second ep is from an early Buddhist sutra call "The Rhinoceros Sutra" (duh) it's about finding your way in the world alone, living for yourself not others. ]

Next time, though, I'll pause it and go find out what the animal represents.

In another forum somebody put forth the theory that the three personae represent the Ego (young man with glasses and long hair), Id (man in the clown suit) and Superego (young boy). This might be correct since the patient never acknowledges there's a different "person" talking to him.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
tankerboy wrote:
In another forum somebody put forth the theory that the three personae represent the Ego (young man with glasses and long hair), Id (man in the clown suit) and Superego (young boy). This might be correct since the patient never acknowledges there's a different "person" talking to him.

I believe I saw that post as well. I had kind of had a similar idea brewing in my head, but that poster put it into words and that was one of the things that caused me to give the episode a second look. I'm wondering if watching the show with that in mind might not add another layer to the viewing experience or if it will actually become a larger factor later on.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
After giving up on a healthy night of sleep, and finishing episode 1 and 2. I can say that it indeed was worth it. Though, episode 1 was a lot more fun than episode 2. Why? Episode 2 dragged on with the same problem(the boner) over and over, while episode 1 brought up new things, such as: his problem with the Russians(?), sleeping disorder and incapability of doing his job properly. The end of episode 1 was most likely what made me want to watch this show; spoiler[when he realized that it was his mistake all along, and not the Russian(?) guy's.]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I watched half of the first episode and then my internet started acting up. I think it was reacting to the insanity and was trying to distance itself from it.

Very odd series from what I can tell. From what I've seen thus far, it does not remind me of FLCL other than the changing animation styles (not necessarily the same pace or the same variety/type of animation chosen). Will watch this just to see where it goes and because it looks pretty interesting. However, I think I need to take some anti-headache meds before watching it. -_-;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
This is a bit too crazy for my taste. I loved FLCL, but this show I'm finding difficult to digest. It's like they're desperately trying to be different by making it nonsensical... sort of like modern art.
There were some elements I liked though. Even if it's intentionally artsy, at the very least you can call it original. The doctor himself seems to be a promising character, and in general there were some promising leads. I have to watch ep.2 and see where it goes... so much stuff, so little time.

On a side note, thanks for reminding me about Aoi Bungaku, I thought no one was going to sub that.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Well I watched the first two episodes

All I have to say is the show's animation is colorful and it's best if I don't watch if I have a headache.

Still it's a interesting show, the animal relating to the case is something I wouldn't think of but episode 2 had me laughing a little because they had a rhino for the person's case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1