• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kämpfer (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miranox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
Kämpfer (TV)

A few people have commented on this series in the "What are you watching right now" thread but there isn't any thread for it.

I've seen up to episode 4 so far and Kämpfer seems to be a slice-of-life harem series with some action and a good deal of fanservice. However, it also has an amusing premise that has kept me interested so far. Senou Natsuru, the protagonist, is a (male) high school student who was given the ability to become a Kämpfer, a kind of warrior whose purpose has not been revealed yet. Only girls can be Kämpfers which means he becomes a girl whenever he transforms. He cannot control his transformations yet and this causes problems for him, mainly at school where girls and boys are separated.

In episodes 1 and 2 we get introduced to the supporting cast and he meets other Kämpfers, some friendly some hostile, and we get some action. In episode 3 things take a different turn as he becomes part of the female students and he finds himself in an ironic but funny situation. Episode 4 is not quite as good because it's a bit thick on fanservice and the sexual innuendo jokes are starting to get old. I know I'm being really, really vague but I want to give others a chance to see it before I turn on the spoilers.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
I was actually thinking about starting a thread for this one, but I tend to be slow on keeping up on new shows, so I refrained.

I haven't seen ep 4 yet, but the first 3 were quite amusing. Its like the creators knew the premise was dumb and decided to just have fun with it, in a pretty trashy way Razz . My favorite thus far is Akane, the bipolar girl who takes pretty much everything the wrong way (and by wrong way, I mean she takes everything said to her to mean some kind of sexual innuendo); she's a closet horn-dog, no doubt. The scene where she's in Natsuru's bedroom was priceless Laughing !
wm4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quote
I think the show needs a male VA. You know what I mean....

Otherwise, I wished for some serious plots in further episodes...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:51 am Reply with quote
Count me in as a fan too. As I said in another thread, the premise of a boy who loves a girl who loves the female version of himself and sees him as a rival for the affection of that female version is pure genius and the show is rightfully wringing every bit of juice it can out of the situation. I too like the Akane character and her switch between mild-mannered, shy girl and foul-mouthed homicidal maniac when in Kampfer mode. Also enjoying the cold student president who delights in making Natsuro's life a living hell any chance she gets. Solid, trashy entertainment.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quote
As soon as this show finishes airing, I'm watching this ASAP. I hear nothing but music to my ears when people talk about it.
Quote:
the premise of a boy who loves a girl who loves the female version of himself and sees him as a rival for the affection of that female version is pure genius

That is pure genius. How can anyone not love that?

I'm curious, though, is this censored or will have to wait for DVD versions. I have a feeling that this show would lose all it's charm with random fog and glares.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:08 am Reply with quote
I don't recall much censorship fog, but I know at least twice they've used police-tape to cover up the sensitive parts of an image briefly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
I am quite enjoying this show aswell. I might have been afraid of the gender bending and missed this series, but it is quite fun. My favirout character is definetly Akane, not only is she if the shy, Deredere, "friend" who wants to be more and keeps misunderstanding, but is the psychotic, jealous Tsuntsun "friend".

I am also likeing the whole deformed mascot thing and the fact that parts of the plot sound so stupid, like why are they fighting? Though I am finding myself confused in places of how I should feel, such as the eye catcher for the first episode.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the series so far

I find the plushies to be funny, then again there talking plushies.

I find all the misunderstanding between the boy and girl forms, pretty good, I mean his girl form has all the girls wanting to basically screw him while his boy side has nothing going on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
Actualy, apparently he is dating himself, or is it herself Confused .
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
well that doesn't count because it's the same person, plus I thought it was just a rumor made up by the student council president to crate more drama for him on the girls side?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
You mean the cold hearted, mean student president who is also an enemy Kampfer who has done nothing but create problems and attacking him and those around him was lieing? Now I don't know what to belive, and she felt so trust worthy up to now. What next, the president is only doing it becaus she is a sadist and is putting him through it because she likes him.

Well actualy Akane has come close several times to almost saying it out loude that she like him. The bloody plushies can see it, but he is about as thick as his female form's breast are large. The scenes like the book between the legs and when she was on his bed were priceless.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
One thing I don't get: both Natsuro and Akane go through obvious physical changes when they go into Kampfer mode, but all that happens to Prez is that the inside of her hair starts to glow a gelatinous pink. Weird.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
well that doesn't count because it's the same person, plus I thought it was just a rumor made up by the student council president to crate more drama for him on the girls side?

I actually have a theory about that. I think the Pres's intent in spreading that rumor was to deter people away from Natsuru so that they won't find out his/her secret. Making his/her life hell was simply a pleasing plus for the Pres.
FLMikeATT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I like it so far. It's a nice, interesting little comedy/magical girl/gender bender anime.

I agree with pretty much what everyone else has said. The concept of the relationship between Senou and the chick (who he likes) who loves his girl half is genius.

The fanservice and lesbian themes are quite fun too; I know a lot of people probably don't like it, but I haven't really seen the theme used all that often before..it's refreshing.

I'm kinda wanting them to get on with the story more though; so far we've only been treated to like 2 major fights and a few plot points while the rest of the scenes are mostly comedic situations where Senou is put into uncomfortable situations.

How long is the anime running for? 26 episodes?
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Actualy, apparently he is dating himself, or is it herself Confused .

What? Have you never fallen in love with yourself? I have, and I'd love if I had the ability of transforming into a female back and forth.

Jokes aside. Kampfer was good, yes, it "was" enjoyable. It's getting boring, old and repeated, way too soon. Maybe some new Kampfers and some fighting, and less yuri crap. Yeah, I do like boobies, but what's the point in seeing them getting touched by another female? That's the same as watching a baby touching his mom's breasts, not exciting at all.

FLMikeATT wrote:
I agree with pretty much what everyone else has said. The concept of the relationship between Senou and the chick (who he likes) who loves his girl half is genius.

Now tell me what's so genius about that. Are you saying this never happened in other anime, and that it's original? Just take a look at the recent Maria Holic. Does it sound familiar?

__
Overall, a "so-so" rating is pretty kind of me. Be grateful that you showed me girls with big boobies, otherwise I'd have been worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5