• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Raining Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Reading so much into a harem title is really too much of a waste of time. It's like doing a college thesis on Harold & Kumar go to White Castle. You could, but why?

No the fear itself doesn't originate from the harem title per-say and in fact probably shouldn't be labeled as fear. It's the shift that you and I have noticed, that it is moving to being something serious and not something to laugh at anymore. So the question then becomes where is that shift coming from and is it an image of what we want for this world or something else, something subversive. Remember anime is fairly traditional in it's politics, especially with harem titles of all stripes (so who does the women seek help from, a man, and it doesn't really matter what label you put to it in the harem title, it's still the same, one might wish to be aware of that.)

And I nearly did a college paper on Ed, Edd, and Eddy, so dong the weird or uncomfortable is not a problem, for it wouldn't be a story if it didn't have a message to tell us.

*** Also music wise I'm analyzing They Might Be Giants, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAbZzdalZh4&feature=related ***
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
heh, pparker I was more than half kidding... it's just how you happen to smoosh the definitions around... I don't consider EVA or RahX to be harems, but you could look at them that way if you wished... but I think CCSYueh mentioned it earlier, the more traditional harem shows are funny, and that's why I like 'em.

So tell me... are revHarems known for the funny? What does a harem or revHarem look like if it's not a comedy? By which I mean drama, not slice of life.

and where do we cross the line to 'ensemble cast'?
Odd_shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Here's another perspective, domination. Since the beginning of time man has strived for dominance over another, preferably over more than just one.
In harem it's all about domination of others, in whatever severity of this domination and in which ever direction. Whether it be a customer over a business (customer is always king) or a bunch of girls dominating this one guy, telling him how he should live his live or a guy ordering around girls for food and to clean the windows of his house in a maid outfit, they are all forms of domination.
It's much like politics and religion, both tools to dominate large groups, so it's no wonder politics has come up in the discussions.

If we look at some of the examples, does Haruhi from Ouran High School Host Club have a revHarem or is she dominated into that position by the rich and wealthy guys?

In Happy Lesson is Hitotose keeping a harem or is he dominated into this position by his teachers?

Likewise for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, is he keeping a harem or is he dominated into this position?

Of course there are other examples of the opposite for example where the guy is actually dominating a group of girls as his harem like Ichigo 100%, well you could argue that he's searching for the strawberry-pantsu girl and not specifically wants to keep this harem of girls. Ikko from Amaenaideyo has more this determination to dominate over a harem although he is mostly dominated by them, but the intention is there. I think Goro from Tenshi no shippo chu keeping his 12 reincarnated pets as a harem would probably be the best example from the non-hentai severe domination examples.

I also think that these various domination forms can be found in revHarem / male-harem, and that's why in my opinion any harem, whether it's harem or male-harem is a fan-service for domination play. Even though in those series the role of domination lies with a different party we still call them harem, I also think this is the attraction of these stories, in real life the harem will never be the dominating party but always the one dominated, hence only in fiction will you have these fantasies, the ones that actually do correspond with reality are the hentai ones and is and will always be the general male fantasy of dominating over multiple women which is what most women have a problem with. And with the above named series and most others the nerdy useless male character for which most women, especially the ones portrait, will never fall for in real or even in their own fiction, but that's obviously a commercial view on it all because it's exactly those kind of guys who go out and buy that stuff, sad but true. (Metallica Anime hyper)
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
So tell me... are revHarems known for the funny? What does a harem or revHarem look like if it's not a comedy? By which I mean drama, not slice of life.

Depending on the genre. Yaoi runs to more serious drama & sex while the lighter stuff formerly known as shonen ai runs to humor like Gravitation, Sukisho, Gakuen Heaven, Kyo Kara Maoh, etc. We get the bevy of beautiful boys for the viewer's pleasure & lots of banter & cute jokes. I don't think there's any standard jokes...unlike the face-first into DDD cup or the punch out of sight follow-up common in titles aimed at guys.

The stuff like Saiyuki, Weiss Kruez, etc. has humor, but the emphasis is drama.

In more traditional reverse harems there's some that use more humor than others & others that are more romance. Haruka, based on a dating sim game, has far less humor than something like Kyo Kara Maoh or Fushigi Yugi which started out in print & thus have to appeal on various levels.

Quote:
Likewise for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, is he keeping a harem or is he dominated into this position?

School settings like GTO place the teacher at the head of the harem if the teacher is the point of the story. Azumanga puts less emphasis on the teacher as the center of the harem, but she is a major force.

does Haruhi from Ouran High School Host Club have a revHarem or is she dominated into that position by the rich and wealthy guys?
Quote:

Haruhi's indifference to the males around her make her the center of the harem, not unlike a cat which ignores everyone will zoom in on that visitor who hates cats. She would like nothing more than to be left alone thus all the boys are attracted.

Quote:
I also think that these various domination forms can be found in revHarem / male-harem, and that's why in my opinion any harem, whether it's harem or male-harem is a fan-service for domination play.

Domination?
No.
The point of most of the harem titles that define the genre is to pick one. The joy is having the size of the selection. In real life one is lucky to find that one person, but in harem titles, the lead has his or her choice of the ONE they want, not all the harem.
In the typical warriors protecting the priestess mode, even though their lives are forfeit, the warriors can have other lovers while still doing their duty.
In Dracula, note Lucy having all those suitors. It can happen in real life, thought usually more average types do not have that luck. All most harem titles are representative of is allowing the fantasy that a geeky guy/less than stunningly beautiful & poised gal can have a bunch of suitors.

Quote:
It's the shift that you and I have noticed,

I see the shift as something of a dumbing down. Rather than work at making interesting characters or situations, they just follow a simple formula with standard characterizations. In a similar way, I also mourn the loss of interesting television shows with written scripts being usurped by a bunch of reality shows here in the US. The entertainment field is always going to look for the cheapest way to make a profit, but if they believe people demand quality, they will provide us with quality. If we'll settle for crap, that's what we get.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion would be harem under theme or secondary plot. Most analyzed anime? More like, hard to analyze or "WTF is this?".
Odd_shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

School settings like GTO place the teacher at the head of the harem if the teacher is the point of the story. Azumanga puts less emphasis on the teacher as the center of the harem, but she is a major force.

I don't know how you can say Azumanga Daioh is a harem series, for one there is no opposite protagonist or antagonist, they are all girls, or is it a lesbian harem sub-genre? From my understanding Azumanga Daioh is a slice of life comedy with a school theme, if Azumanga Daioh is harem then so would K-ON!, Lucky Star or any other anime that has a group of girls more than 3, that is ridiculous.

As for GTO, I also can't find GTO a harem series, it's more like that LA series Jyoou no Kyoushitsu "The Queen's Classroom", troublesome class even worse teacher, The Queen's classroom gets a very strict teacher in GTO they get a former gang-leader, although Onizuka is a pervert he isn't keeping a harem, there is a lot of interaction between his male students and himself, he is not selecting a spouse nor girlfriend.
Quote:

Domination?
No.
The point of most of the harem titles that define the genre is to pick one. The joy is having the size of the selection. In real life one is lucky to find that one person, but in harem titles, the lead has his or her choice of the ONE they want, not all the harem.

I'm talking about between the characters, not the viewer, the viewer in anime is most often a 3rd person not in the story. Usually the games they might have come from or could be made in to, are created so you can select the one of your choice but most of the time in the anime the main character already has one he wants, the others are just obstacles.
In real life that option is open plenty, if it's just one then there would be no need for girl- or boyfriends, everyone would just have wives and husbands immediately.

In Nyan Koi, Kosaka Junpei wants Mizuno all the others are trying to win him over or get in the way, some even support his choice at one point.
Bakemonogatari the main character's selection is Senjougahara, In Love Hina it's Naru, altough Keitero isn't sure this is the girl from his past his current feelings are on Naru. In Rosario+Vampire Tsukune wants Moka all the others just want him, well you could say he is a bit twisted over Moka and "inner" Moka because of the "split" personality thing but technically it's still the same person.
And Zetsubou Sensei wants none of the girls, there's even an episode about it, where he needs to avoid eye contact or end up with one, yet it's still considered harem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5