• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Old Frontier

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Chrno2: Ha, for some reason I automatically assumed you already had a 360. In my opinion, you get more bang for your buck with the PS3 and you get Blu-Ray. But Xbox has the better game community if you like that stuff when you play which really changes gameplay, for $50 a year. And the gamerscores achievement thing is kind of fun if just a vanity thing. But exclusives and functionality beyond games are the main selling points. If you don't really care for a systems exclusives; look beyond it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Slim pickings for this X Button today. Guess it's because it's mostly all exploring relics of the past. But Mimana Iyar Chronicles looks it might be a choice for me next year. Depends on the cast and gameplay.

Yada yada, more FF13, I expect great things from it but I'm finding the FF charm has really worn itself thin for me in recent years.

That Arc Rise Fantasia thing, haha, always with the PG-13 changes. "You gotta cover 'dem tits. Don't want the young'uns to get the wrong idea." Anime hyper

I don't know quite what to say about Cho Aniki. I guess if you have a muscle fetish, it works for you. I heard its randomness is what makes it so funny though.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:

@AiddonValentine: Have you checked out the upcoming Alpha Protocol? That looks to be... well, a Western RPG that's not set in Tolkien-esque fantasy or Clarke-ish sci-fi. Look it up, it looks like it has potential.

Oh trust me, I'm keeping an eye on that. It was surprising how it's been severely delayed, but since they're doing something new they'll probably have a lotta kinks to work out.

@Generic #757858

I'm just saying in general; even Fallout is sort've this parody of 50s sci-fi and post-apocalyptic stuff has been around for ages, though I'm not sure what I'd parallel Fallout to. Planescape was also set in a D&D setting, though Victorian-steampunk does sound cool. I have played Jade Empire and enjoyed the hell out of it. Still though, I wish we'd have more cyberpunk and steampunk these days.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Planescape was also set in a D&D setting, though Victorian-steampunk does sound cool.

If you haven't played it, then trust me, the setting is anything but typical D&D. Highly recommend, easily one of the best plots and characters I've ever seen in a game.
UltimateSpaceLion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Yada yada, more FF13, I expect great things from it but I'm finding the FF charm has really worn itself thin for me in recent years.

I second that. Not really digging the character designs I've seen thus far, and as usual, the voice acting in the trailer grated on me. I think that the standard of acting in Uncharted 2 will be what I compare all future games to. Unfair perhaps, as the FF voice actors have to match to the lip syncing, but I don't care.

While there's hardly any info about it, I find myself more interested in Final Fantasy Versus XIII.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
after Sakaguchi left the series has sort've become a typical "crank it out" title mostly because fans keep buying it hoping again and again for their favorite FF reborn (usually VII with X as a close second). Matsuno was the only one who could have kept the series going in a bold, new direction but instead he got sick of the crap that FFXII's production turned into and left and I can't blame him one bit.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
[As for 'FFXIII'. I've been against getting a PS3, and I told myself that I'm pretty much done with the FF series on the larger platforms. Not so much on the DS. FFXII was the last game I picked up. But now the more I hear on this game the more I might consider buying a PS3 solely for that reason. Another good thing is that 'Nomura' is not involved with the direction, (art direction yes) so chances are the story might be decent.
Why don't you just get FFCC: The Crystal Bearers on Wii instead? At least that game has absolutely no Nomura in it. (That, along with 4 Warriors of Light FF Gaiden.) Having no emo protagonist as well is clearly a sign of progress (along with the 96% reduction of belts, buckles, and zippers).
belvadeer wrote:
That Arc Rise Fantasia thing, haha, always with the PG-13 changes. "You gotta cover 'dem tits. Don't want the young'uns to get the wrong idea." Anime hyper
From what I recall, the Japanese version of Yggdra Union was censored, while it was uncensored in the American release. (The same thing could happen with Arc Rise Fantasia, knowing Shane Bettenhausen...)
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
I have been waiting for Dragon Age to come out ever since it was announced in 2004. I've played through Mass Effect, both KoTOR's and the Baldur's Gate series just imagining what this game will be like. I bought and upgraded my new computer just for when this game comes out. I am ready for this game. Finally.

With my luck, a hurricane will blow down the Best Buy I pre-ordered it from or the government will outlaw all violent games on Monday.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
So, OSOUJI SENTAI CLEAN KEEPER H is like the Ultimate Mop Daisuke game, without Daisuke.
bonfire123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
does anyone know if there are dating sims in the states or is that just a japanese exclusive? I don't play much video games anymore on account of college so I'm kindof out of the know. thanks!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
Hahaha!!! Too funny. Well, I don't really hate Nomura, but his style does gets to be a bit much. But hey to each his own. I would for once like to see the 'FF' franchise go back to what it used to be. If they can get newer "talent" on board then I'm all for it. I will be considering 'The 4 Warriors of Light', once I see more on it (story, etc...)
ShinGundam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Hahaha!!! Too funny. Well, I don't really hate Nomura, but his style does gets to be a bit much. But hey to each his own. I would for once like to see the 'FF' franchise go back to what it used to be. If they can get newer "talent" on board then I'm all for it. I will be considering 'The 4 Warriors of Light', once I see more on it (story, etc...)

Nomura has nothing to do with FFXIII because he is working now
on his FF game on PS3 with major FF 6 , 7 and 8 members
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/final-fantasy-versus13-english/314553
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I will be considering 'The 4 Warriors of Light', once I see more on it (story, etc...)
There quite a few impressions of it already.

It's a shame that this and Crystal Bearers get overshadowed by all of the numeral FFs.
ShinGundam wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Nomura has nothing to do with FFXIII because he is working now
on his FF game on PS3 with major FF 6 , 7 and 8 members
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/final-fantasy-versus13-english/314553
He was still involved in the character designs of XIII, and that's enough to turn me off. (see The World Ends With You.)
ShinGundam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a shame that this and Crystal Bearers get overshadowed by all of the numeral FFs.

I don’t know i played FFXIII demo and gameplay is mix of
Xenogears and chrono trigger it is really good so i don’t
think it is worth to market FFCB or 4 WoL when have real deal here

Quote:
He was still involved in the character designs of XIII, and that's enough to turn me off. (see The World Ends With You.)

No , Nomura designed lightining based on what Torayama want
but major character designer for this game is Nao Ikeda
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Nomura has kind've been annoying me lately as a director and character designer. Face it, he'll never, ever be as good or original as Yoshitaka Amano or Akihiko Yoshida and lately I feel his style has gotten a little too "stylish" or whatever and felt his VII-era designs were his best because they were the most subdued. Plus as a director he was already left in the dust by Matsuno, Kato, and numerous other talents Square had.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3