• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Mysterious Cities of Gold

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axaul Conners

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I dunno. This is a show that I also grew up with and I just can't see the gripes that Justin has. The way some people feel about this show they talk as if it was inherently a Japanese show and they gave it the hack 'n slash Robotech treatment to it.

I've seen and heard bits of the Japanese version and as far as the music is concerned, creator Jean Chalopin was right in stating that the music was too understated. The music may be dated, but nothing got me ready for the show than the iconic soundtrack. And according to Chalopin, it wasn't even popular in Japan, at least not as popular as it was in the west.

I've recently watched the new DVD release and I can say I still enjoy it thoroughly. I can't wait to see what the new movie and continuing series will include. Maybe it will fold out the way Jean Chalopin described in one of the documentaries on the disc. spoiler[Estaban's father apparantley is still alive]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I REALLY wish I could talk intelligently about this show, but aside from re-watching the OP on YouTube sometime recently I haven't seen any of it in WELL over a decade (probably more like 2) and I don't remember much about it at all, altho I do remember that I enjoyed it a lot. But I do think it's possible to "enjoy" the merits of a show while noting it's obvious flaws. I'm not sure I can sit through a full watching of Hakujaden but I LOVED that movie as a kid, it has an interesting story even if the voice acting is gawd-awful and the animation is clearly dated. But one reason I'm not sure if I could get back into MCoG is why I will always love Hakujaden: the art/character designs. I've always been an animation fan for the artistry, so poor voice acting will grate and weak-storytelling gets tedious, but as long as I love the art I can always appreciate that aspect of a show no matter what.

(I'm not sure "adult" me appreciates the MCoG art as much as "kid" me liked the serial storytelling)[/url]
Ramune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know it got a DVD release! I'm going to have to check it out for sure! And like many, this was a show I watched religiously as a kid, digging into my big bowl of Count Chocula cereal, before the school van (yes a van), came to pick me up to go to pre-school or whatever grade I was back then. Haven't seen it in quite a while so the show will probably be quite fresh to me now!
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Btw, Justin did you even *watch* the educational segments? Very Happy Because I didn't know "Japan" had so many ruins and peoples that look exactly like the ones you find in South America!

Those are very educational!

Quote:
Also, coming back to the dub a second, Justin probably was subconsciously turned off by the fact that the voice actors for the kids are clearly actual kids, not women trying to sound like kids. While you can't expect quite the same level of acting as you get from professional VAs, I'd rather take the authenticity over the feminine boy voices in modern cartoons any day of the week.

The dubbing was done up in Montreal I believe. Although Justin mentioned AK Video in his review, the actually French company that was involved in producing MCoG was DIC Audiovisuel, the same company later responsible for Inspector Gadget, and other classic cartoons once they cracked the US market.

Anime World Order wrote:
I never really got to see this show much as a kid. It aired on Nick Junior, the name of the programming block Nickelodeon had during the day while most kids are at school. So I never got to see things like this, Noozles, Maya the Bee, and the various other properties that I now know were anime that dominated the block unless there was a holiday or I was sick. (That said, the theme song to The Adventures of the Little Koala is permanently stuck in my head all the same. AND NOW IT'S STUCK IN YOURS. GO WATCH IT ON YOUTUBE NOW! THIS...I COMMAND!)

Yep, that's how addictive that tune is!

Quote:
So I never really had a great deal of nostalgia for the series, other than thinking "this is pretty cool" due to its visual style.

At least I saw it, though I don't remember it being part of Nick Jr. though, as it was often seen alongside "Spartikus and the Sun Beneath the Sea".

Quote:
For what it's worth, I actually went back and watched The Mysterious Cities of Gold a few years ago for the first time in full, and it was not a case like what happened to me when I went back and rewatched Thundercats only to realize "my God, this show is AWFUL! Why didn't I just let it stay a childhood memory?!" I would classify this as "a good show." At the same time, it's very much a product of its time and much of what it did that was unique back then is nothing special nowadays.

True. It screams 1980 all over.

Quote:
This was the first cartoon I ever saw to feature a continuing, serialized storyline.
Of course for me it was Belle & Sebastian, which did air on Nick Jr. when they created that block in '87, though it was on regular Nick since '84.

Quote:
I never saw Robotech until the 90s, so my childhood was one built on things like He-Man (EDIT: the Internet informs me that some of the BGM tracks from MCoG were reused for He-Man!), Transformers, Dangermouse, M.A.S.K. (which I later learned had Shinji Aramaki mecha designs, just like Transformers!), Inspector Gadget, and all that stuff. None of these shows had any sort of ongoing narrative because I guess that limits your syndication options if you have to show episodes in a set order.

Other than just the BGM being handy for coming from the same place.

Quote:
It was also the only cartoon I ever watched where people said "damn" and "hell" and they acknowledged matters such as death, so it was a little bit more "mature" than other shows of the time. I will grant that the story does sort of take a nose dive near the end spoiler[which involves space aliens more or less out of nowhere, and ultimately they only end up finding one of the cities of gold]. But while it certainly has its faults (I recall the decision to have the one guy stutter his every line in the US dub to be particularly irritating), I don't think they're quite as bad as Justin's making them out to be. I would not object to showing this series to young children now in 2009.

It would be nice to show this to everyone!

[quote="Raz_G"]Other than that, I can totally understand why they won't jump on the opportunity to purchase a 26-episodes show originally broadcasted in 1978 (!) that has no fanbase of any kind in the US, because unlike Mysterious Cities of Gold, it was never broadcasted in America (in an English dub, at least). Yes, it has the Miyazaki label on it, but will it be enough to justify purchasing the rights and then go through translation and dubbing? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong: I LOVE Conan, but I can see why a big studio like Disney will consider it too niche.

If only Nickelodeon had that show on 20 years ago.

Quote:
And I know that American anime distributors have checked the possibility of purchasing and distributing Conan in the US, and all backed because the price was just too high for them. There are many-many other anime (and animation in general!) classics that are still unavailable for home-viewing in the US, because the market for them isn't considered big enough. All this is hardly Disney's fault.

Can't fault that.

Moomintroll wrote:
I seem to remember a disturbingly large chunk of my time in the mid-1980s was taken up with watching European-produced, Japanese-animated cartoon epics (Mysterious Cities of Gold; Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds; Ulysses 31; 80 Days Around the World) and Mysterious Cities of Gold was easily my favourite of them (Dogtanian came a close second).

I'll pick up the UK boxed set at some point but I'm in no rush - I got the Dogtanian set a while back and while the theme song certainly brought back some memories, it really hasn't aged well and I've no great desire to see my fond childhood memories of Mysterious Cities of Gold similarly battered as a result of re-watching the show through cynical adult eyes.

Heh, I kinda liked the Willy Fog series from what I saw from the first couple episodes that found a VHS release in the 1980's over here. The dub was done by Intersound using a lot of the same guys that were doing Robotech at the time. Another cartoon I wouldn't have mind watching 25 years ago, but I can see how aged it is today.

Mohawk52 wrote:
I too remember this. It was one of the best reasons for watching the BBC after uni. Coincidently I only just finished watching the complete box set back in the spring, and unlike you Justine, I enjoyed the whole thing very much. I grew up with synthisized music since the 60's Moody Blues first used Dr. Robert Moog's synthisized organ. It was all the rage up until the 90's. and is sort of making a slight comeback today. And considering the technology of the day, the digital clean up has done it justice. The original looked like a film with opitical sound track transfered to 2" quad tape, hense the warbly sound quality, and wobbly vision.

The show itself was distributed on 16mm originally, though I assume Nickelodeon played VTR masters anyway.

ChibiGoku wrote:
The Japanese version, he actually has a pretty normal sounding voice. Pretty much both in the 1982 and 1998 versions. And if you're asking, Japan had to redo the Japanese dub, since NHK lost the original recordings.

Sad to hear that. I found a vid on YouTube before it was taken down of what remained of the opening/documentary (hosted by some NHK guy)/ending sequences to one 1982 episode that aired on NHK. Glad I saved it (of course NHK could've tried asking the fans/collectors to help in reconstructing their series).

Quote:
One thing I was a little disapointed with the new dub was the fact they cut out the recaps, next episode previews, and documentaries. However, given the original audio materials were no longer accessable, it's understandable why these were removed. I did managed to see the last episode's, which was rather interesting. From what I understood, they still had access to the recorded "documentaries", but it seemed they opted to remove them. From what I read, I think it was due to "accuracy" of them, but this could be wrong.

Who knows either. You'd think it would be nice to include those as well. The way the histories were aired originally on the show, a host would be seen in a recording studio of sorts who talks a little before the live-action footage would be shown, and then comes back at the end to give his goodbye until next time.

Oh yeah, here's that vid!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xazifa_esteban-child-of-the-sun_shortfilms

Greg Aubry wrote:
Robotech suffers from the exact same problem, as do a lot of shows from that era. I guess children's television producers of the '80s felt that wall-to-wall noise is what children responded to. In a way, they weren't wrong if that were the case.

Lord knows I can't really find myself wanting to watch some of DIC's stuff of that era since the Saban/Levy music just gets in the way too much.

Greboruri wrote:
Fantastic show. I've only just finished watching the UK box set which I've had in my backlog since I bought from HMV when it was first released. Though I recall it being screened on the ABC in Australia during the late 1980's (on James Valentine's show) I never watched it. I later read about it and a couple of years back obtained a DVD-R copy via a guy who remastered the show using the Japanese and French box sets. I was really impressed. Now a couple of years later, as I'm watching Fabulous Films’ box set the thing which really struck me is how the show was such a quality piece of children's entertainment. Especially when you consider the other shows which were on TV at the time in the west.

In the US, the show aired on Nickelodeon at least from 1986 to 1990 I believe.

Quote:
Unlike Justin, I think the music is a big part of the show's success. There's just something about it which fits the show really well. The dub isn't bad at all. Looking at how it was dubbed on the extras on the DVD box set, I'm really amazed it sounds that great.

Nowadays, it's the kind of music I wouldn't mind revisiting again.

Quote:
I think Justin is a bit wrong on the history of the production of the series. In the extras on the box set, Bernard Deyriès states that Pierrot, NHK and DiC were co-producers right from pre-production. In fact it was DiC (the French side of production) who came up with the idea. The live action documentaries aren't bad either and are still pretty accurate now (at least I think they are). At any rate I found them to quite informative, if a little simplistic. Though some, like the chicken sacrifice, footage of a bull goring an unconscious man on the ground and a soothsayer putting a snake in his mouth, maybe they shouldn't really be shown to young children.

Still, the Europeans ate it up anyway! I just can't remember if Nick aired them or not as those are far off in my mind anyway.

nicomorr wrote:
I'm surprised that Sherlock Hound has not been mentioned as a similar possibility for Buried Treasure. Six episodes of that were directed by Miyazaki Hayao & it was an Italian/Japanese co-production. I am a fan.

Face it, Europeans got slightly better treatment than we did!

Quote:
Dogtanian also of course - and I have the original Japanese Laserdisk limited edition of Future Boy Conan, I even bought two LD players (one modded for AC3) to play it with.

Well worth the purchase! If you have to even been more ambitious, I'd suggest collecting foreign DVD version of Future Boy Conan in multiple languages since I believe there's a lot of them out there nowadays.

Anime World Order wrote:
Thanks for clearing up my question about the stuttering character and whether or not he did so in the other versions of the show. For these co-productions it's always murky to figure out which version is the "original" and which is the "dub," but for my money's worth The Mysterious Cities of Gold is first and foremost French, such that both the Japanese and English versions are the adaptations. My justification is that the creative staff (writers, etc) were predominantly on the French side.

When you come down to it, it really shouldn't be seen as an anime at all given that circumstance, but since a Japanese studio was involved in the animation section, it often slides for that. People only think of the surface elements.

Quote:
Indeed, the ending credits as they were broadcast on Nick Jr in America were in French, not English! I only know this because the VHS tapes I rewatched the series on were taped off Nick Jr and occasionally neglected to cut out the commercials for the various other Nick Jr anime shows I didn't know were anime at the time, like Maple Town.

I remember those French credits too well (wonder why they didn't think to making an English set since they got an English title for the opening).

Quote:
Dorian wrote:
There was another program on at the same time but I cannot remember the name. As I recall two children, boy and girl go underground run into pirates one of which was a woman that would yell ALERT with a voice that could bend steel and there were two talking aardvarks that could make fire by touching their noses together and said things to each other like “Do I see what you see?”

This sound familiar?

That was definitely Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea, a French animated series that was dubbed into English. That also ran on Nickelodeon, but if memory serves it came on at very early hours of the morning and what little I saw never really grabbed me as a kid.

I only really remember it's theme song, the original one, not the later version done by Menudo.

Face it, Nickelodeon back then was a haven for Japanese/Eurotash toons that we just took for granted without reason. Now we wish we had taken better attention to them since they've gone on the wayside like worn-out shoes.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I just remembered: a year ago when I interviewed the guys from the Philadelphia Animation Society (not to be confused with this year's interview, which after a month is STILL the latest episode put out! Gah!), I asked the founder Bill Thomas about his thoughts on The Mysterious Cities of Gold. He responded with an anecdote of how he was in France and decided to stop by DiC's offices, and they gave him a tour of the place! Interesting stuff.

That guy was one lucky bastard! Mad
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:

When you come down to it, it really shouldn't be seen as an anime at all given that circumstance, but since a Japanese studio was involved in the animation section, it often slides for that. People only think of the surface elements.

anime#385

Episode Director:
Bernard Deyries
Edouard David
Hisayuki Toriumi
Katsuhiko Fujita
Kenichi Maruyamaerrorsource
Kenichi Murakami
Mizuho Nishikubo
Ryo Tachiba

Original creator: Scott O'Dell

Character Design: Toshiyasu Okada

Art director: Mitsuki Nakamura

Since when did animation companies outsource character design, episode directing and art directing? To my knowledge Japanese studios mostly commission in-between animation and not much else.

Last edited by Ryo Hazuki on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
Raz_G wrote:
I think the "blame Disney for everything that's wrong with the world today" attitude is really inappropriate here. Disney won't distribute Conan because above all, Conan is not a Ghibli product, and their deal is with Ghibli.

etc. etc. long rant on why Conan is pretty darn niche and I shouldn't blame Disney...

I'm not "blaming" Disney for anything. It's just 1) Miyazaki doesn't want his shows cut and 2) any distributor of children's anime, Disney or not, would want to cut that smoking scene in this day and age. I was wrong in assuming Disney had the rights to it; this wasn't meant as an attack on Disney, which has done fantastic work with all of Miyazaki's films, including ones like Ponyo where they probably lost money in the process. Disney's done right by Miyazaki, and for that we owe them a deep debt of thanks.

I know it might be easy to see this series as niche because of its age, but in spite of that, the animation is astoundingly good. That said, you're right that, especially in this economy, I doubt anyone would want to take the risk on it. It would make for a really good children's show, but anyone would be worried about getting their investment returned. Indeed, only a company with as many resources and as much love for Miyazaki as Disney could probably pull it off, but they'd likely need a TV run to get some of their money back, and then parents' groups might wind up in an uproar, not only over the smoking, but about some scenes with blood.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

anime#385

Episode Director:
Bernard Deyries
Edouard David
Hisayuki Toriumi
Katsuhiko Fujita
Kenichi Maruyamaerrorsource
Kenichi Murakami
Mizuho Nishikubo
Ryo Tachiba

Original creator: Scott O'Dell

Character Design: Toshiyasu Okada

Art director: Mitsuki Nakamura

Since when did animation companies outsource character design, episode directing and art directing? To my knowledge Japanese studios mostly commission in-between animation and not much else.

This is also the case for some other European/Japanese co-productions too (thinking of The Jungle Book anime for the moment). It sounds like DIC had at least an idea and story they wanted to use but perhaps wanted the Japanese company to work out the design/art end of the piece themselves. This of course is much different from the typical "runaway production' seen in the states where everything besides the animation gruntwork is done in-house. In this case, both sides share more in the ideas and creation of said product than simply having one studio dominant over the other, though some co-productions could go either way.

Another early DIC effort done with TMS, "Ulysses 31", went through a similar collaboration as well, though it's original unused pilot features some more striking differences in the design end that went through more revisions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed-zxFSweHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADqWcq_sFLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwtcwgCYyts

Going off-topic further, I'm reminded of the 1989 Dutch-Japanese co-pro, "Alfred J. Kwak", and it's rather nifty designs by later Disney designer Harald Siepermann. Watching that show, you wouldn't think of it as Japanese since the designs are very western.
PMDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Another early DIC effort done with TMS, "Ulysses 31", went through a similar collaboration as well, though it's original unused pilot features some more striking differences in the design end that went through more revisions.

Wow, thanks for mentioning those clips. It was quite different and interesting, with much in common with the Japanese version of the Ulysses theme song (which was not actually in this pilot).

Other people have commented on the He-Man music in MCoG and it's true: Saban never expected that the two shows would ever air in the same places and never expected anyone to notice the recycled music.

Recycled music happens a LOT more often than anyone would expect. Plenty of anime series have done that: L-Gaim, Outlanders, Hi-Speed Jecy and Moldiver shared the same music. So did Lygar and Borgman.

If a show doesn't have a full music budget, they will use whatever they can get. This is even more common nowadays with music libraries out for license for pennies. This is off topic, my apologies.
abruli

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
MCoG and Ulysses 31, along with Robotech, are probably the most memorable shows from my childhood. I loved them because they were totally unlike any other show aimed for kids. They didn't feel like they were trying to spoon fed me toys and other merchandizing but instead wanted to tell me a good story. I loved the whole atlantean tie-in and the ancient technology part of MCoG and the occasional, surprisingly dark tone of Ulysses (who could forget the story of the eternal punishment of Sisyphus). Both shows showed a level of sophisticated imagination totally unheard of in the gimmick-filled shows of the 80s. MCoG left me in such awe that I still remember parts of it vividly, even after almost two decades.

Not too long ago I found the Ulysses 31 DVD box. Upon reviewing the show after almost two decades, I still couldn't help but feel impressed at some of the stories contained within not to mention finding some rather big names in the ending credits, such as Shoji Kawamori.

I should give MCoG a go as well to see how well it has aged.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I remember it from back in the day. Although I don't ever recall seeing it on the usual networks. It was broadcast on Nickelodeon only in my area (which was probably sometime after the very first TV network runs), but I could be mistaken.

For some reason I've always thought that Mysterious Cities of Gold animation style was indistinguishable from lots of American animated shows of that type. I was clearly aware of Japanese origin of some children shows since previously watching Starblazers, Battle of the Planets, and others. Maybe because the credits (which I always payed attention to) showed French and American names and the content of the show was just so Anglo-Saxon looking I didn't connect it with things I identified as Japanese animation as a kid.

Now I can recognize the subtle characteristics and can now say, hey yah that was anime. Just back then it was so rehashed and watered down that it was just another one of those cartoons I enjoyed.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
PMDR wrote:
Quote:

Wow, thanks for mentioning those clips. It was quite different and interesting, with much in common with the Japanese version of the Ulysses theme song (which was not actually in this pilot).

I know what you mean. Another odd effort between TMS and DIC was the aborted "Lupin VIII" pilot that was going to be called 'Arsene et Cie" in French, though some fans would jokingly refer to it as "Lupin in Space" given it's premise. This cartoon was meant to be a futuristic take on Monkey Punch's creation (if only a little more closer to Maurice Leblanc's original gentleman thief) featuring descendants of the original characters, but some legal tangles prevented this from seeing the light of day and was canned.

Here's the vid of that effort, though it's voice-less besides having music/sound effects included. Of course it doesn't stuff those from making up their own lines or voices to go with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFdlQq211WI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ86yZbMnMs

Quote:
Other people have commented on the He-Man music in MCoG and it's true: Saban never expected that the two shows would ever air in the same places and never expected anyone to notice the recycled music.

True. 1983 also was quite a pivotal year for both Saban and DIC. This was when Ronald Regan lifted certain restrictions in broadcasting that resulted in infomercials and toy/greeting card companies to further exploit their properties through developing TV programs. He-Man was one of the first to come out of that era with more to follow. For DIC, their first US expansion was with Inspector Gadget for syndication, as well as The Littles on ABC. Saban on the other hand provided music for those shows, plus for Filmation's He-Man and some of Ruby-Spears productions (replacing stalwart Dean Elliot if only for the opening themes).

Quote:
Recycled music happens a LOT more often than anyone would expect. Plenty of anime series have done that: L-Gaim, Outlanders, Hi-Speed Jecy and Moldiver shared the same music. So did Lygar and Borgman.

You can thank Hoyt Curtin for making it happen!

Quote:
If a show doesn't have a full music budget, they will use whatever they can get. This is even more common nowadays with music libraries out for license for pennies. This is off topic, my apologies.

Often they would have the composer produce a set of cues (often called "Underscores") for a particular show, and then use those cues in the editing process to coincide with whatever action or situation occurs on screen.

Of course then there's the other route of using music libraries such as what Hanna-Barbera, Ren & Stimpy, Gumby and Spongebob Squarepants have done too. We don't usually think much about that, but some of the tunes are quite memorable.

abruli wrote:
MCoG and Ulysses 31, along with Robotech, are probably the most memorable shows from my childhood. I loved them because they were totally unlike any other show aimed for kids. They didn't feel like they were trying to spoon fed me toys and other merchandizing but instead wanted to tell me a good story. I loved the whole atlantean tie-in and the ancient technology part of MCoG and the occasional, surprisingly dark tone of Ulysses (who could forget the story of the eternal punishment of Sisyphus). Both shows showed a level of sophisticated imagination totally unheard of in the gimmick-filled shows of the 80s. MCoG left me in such awe that I still remember parts of it vividly, even after almost two decades.

The 80's was just ripe for it.

Quote:
Not too long ago I found the Ulysses 31 DVD box. Upon reviewing the show after almost two decades, I still couldn't help but feel impressed at some of the stories contained within not to mention finding some rather big names in the ending credits, such as Shoji Kawamori.

Let alone Studio Nue a year before Macross being involved. The show didn't quite do as well here in the states where 13 of 26 episodes were aired as part of a syndie block seen on weekends called "Kideo TV" I believe. It just didn't click here.

Quote:
I should give MCoG a go as well to see how well it has aged.

You do that!

Past wrote:
Yeah I remember it from back in the day. Although I don't ever recall seeing it on the usual networks. It was broadcast on Nickelodeon only in my area (which was probably sometime after the very first TV network runs), but I could be mistaken.

MCoG was never seen before Nickelodeon as far as I know. Most shows on Nick then may or may not have ever had much coverage in the US due to limited competition on the terrestrial broadcast channels or on other cable channels in their infancy then. Many of us were grateful that MCoG was aired at all since it was very unlikely it could've gotten on at all if Nickelodeon wasn't around at all. This of course counts for nearly many other hopeful shows that just didn't make it to the US for the same reason we talk about here all the time. Reason why we're anime fans to begin with. Thank the pioneers of the 80's and the blood, sweat and tears that went into their craft.

Of course I often think PBS would've been a great home for MCoG if people actually supported the need for cartoons of that caliber for the network than what we see now. Another French cartoon I can think of that was also co-produced with a Japanese studio, Tatsunoko, was "Il était une fois... l'homme" (Once Upon a Time... Man), the studio responsible for this, Procidis, produced many other similar programs focusing on different educational topics, though only one of their programs focusing on "The Discoverers" was aired on The History Channel in the late 90's.

Quote:
For some reason I've always thought that Mysterious Cities of Gold animation style was indistinguishable from lots of American animated shows of that type. I was clearly aware of Japanese origin of some children shows since previously watching Starblazers, Battle of the Planets, and others. Maybe because the credits (which I always payed attention to) showed French and American names and the content of the show was just so Anglo-Saxon looking I didn't connect it with things I identified as Japanese animation as a kid.

For someone who was already used to this thanks to Pinwheel, it occurred to me early on that the best cartoons I ever liked/watched had been non-American all the time! And I think this gave me a better sense of the world and interest in more of this sort of thing than I could get domestically. It also helped that cable TV was very liberal then than it is now. There was WAY more room for experimentation and acquiring things outside the Hollywood system. At one point in time, Soviet TV was aired on Discovery Channel around the mid 80's. You can't get away with that sort of thing anymore.

Quote:
Now I can recognize the subtle characteristics and can now say, hey yah that was anime. Just back then it was so rehashed and watered down that it was just another one of those cartoons I enjoyed.

Back then, I did not know how to react to these big-eyed anombolies myself, but yes, the more you grow, the more you know, and knowing is half the battle!

G. I. JOOOOOOOOOE!
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Let's see: 1980s anime? Check. NHK title with 39 episodes? Check. Story about legendary civilization? Check. The 3 checks were also shared by Nadia: Secret of Blue Water.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Let's see: 1980s anime? Check. NHK title with 39 episodes? Check. Story about legendary civilization? Check. The 3 checks were also shared by Nadia: Secret of Blue Water.

It was obvious where the NHK liked putting the money were their mouth was. Of course in defense of Nadia, they were going to make a shorter series but then they changed their minds, which is why we got the "big-lipped alligator moment" happening. Razz
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
What do you mean by "big-lipped alligator moment"?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5