• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Hidamari Sketch, Glass Mask, Neo Angelique Abyss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Kanji: They dropped manga titles, which means most of their anime did well enough to justify licensing them. And it's better that these types of shows than the garbage embraced by FUNi.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Clannad S1,S2.

Maybe this is just my Best Buy, but almost all of Section 23's stuff is in mine. From Those Who Hunt Elves (mediocre series) to Clannad to Dark Legends. They're still sitting there...waiting to get bought.

Might be. Most around here got rid of most of their anime stock in the last Best Buy anime purge if you remember the news. I visited my local Borders recently and they completely got rid of all of their anime DVDs, despite the decent manga stock they have.

Useless info no one should care about:
Which I find odd. I live in a city called Salinas and anime fans are scarce. During the Best Buy recall, anime doubled after decreasing in how much was available. I was amazed and disgusted at the same time. I didn't know what to buy, nothing really stood out. It just looks too big for its own good.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Poor product choice in my opinion. Not because they're bad shows, but where's the audience? What was the last time you heard anyone talk about Glass Mask or Neo Angelique (excluding crunchyroll users). I don't really see anyone picking this up at a Best Buy. Actually, maybe Hidamari Sketch since if they put in some of the cutest, best artwork pssible, some moe enthusiast will pick it up.

That would be true if their business model was restricted to only DVDs. But they have the ability to create a new market vis-a-vis their rich and mature digital networks that reaches a good deal of viewers - which has done well for them given how integral it is - through all their tough spots in the last year and half, Anime Network has been their most active, present, and engaging constant for a reason.

These may not be the sexy and marquee titles that are always clamored for, but I do believe they will satisfy selected demographics within their current base that have been looking for something different. Especially if they got these for nothing or profit splitting of some sort, these would be strong pickups (as far as niche titles go).
sdhd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! So getting Glass Mask and Departures.
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
While none of these new series particularly interests me, it's good to see Sentai securing more licenses. I'm rooting for you, Neo-ADV.
Also, it's a little comforting to know that some of the CR licensed stuff is still up for DVD licensing. Now, if Sentai or (hinthint)Nozomi(hinthint) would release Aoi Hana, that would be a wonderful thing.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Wonder if they'll be tempted to get more SHAFT shows if Hidamari does well?

I'd be over the moon if they released Bakemonogatari and Maria Holic. Bakemonogatari in particular wouldn't benefit from a dub, I think -- of course, I understand that there are dub-only fans out there that would disagree with me. Then again, I'd way rather have Bakemonogatari on BD.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
I'm certainly not opposed to getting Hidamari Sketch with subtitles that aren't laced with c/a/tchphrases. Sure, they were funny, but still...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
And where do you think their deal broke from? Not having enough money to sustain anything. I'll admit my facts aren't solid, but they're not entirely wrong.

Quote:
Clannad S1,S2.

Maybe this is just my Best Buy, but almost all of Section 23's stuff is in mine. From Those Who Hunt Elves (mediocre series) to Clannad to Dark Legends. They're still sitting there...waiting to get bought.

It may just be yours. It's hard to judge a titles sales by looking at one individual store. But the Best Buy I work at has been selling through it's Sentai titles solidly. In fact, we now get more new titles from Sentai/Section 23 then we do from Funimation, as no one was buying the new releases from them. The only things we can sell from them are Yu Yu Hakusho, Love Hina, and DBZ, whose sales for it's latest sets are down significantly from the earlier seasons. Now everything we get from them just rots on the shelves until it gets sent back.

But every Best Buy in my area got at least the second set of Clannad, and all but one sold through their orders. So I'm willing to wager that Clannad at least did pretty well. I don't know of any other subtitled series we've carried that has been in as many stores or sold as well.

And like Dragoon said, these series aren't entirely about DVD sales. They now direct a lot of their energy towards online streaming, and these series will help in that aspect.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
Also, you can't discuss DVD sales of Sentai titles and only mention Best Buy. There's Rightstuf and Amazon too...heck, I imagine the majority of there sales are via online stores these days.

In certain very relevant markets (ie, the sort of people who post on AnimeOnDVD), Hidamari Sketch is a very big title. Same with Clannad and Clannad AS.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

I have had that title for years. I enjoyed it last time I watched it. It's basically a fanservice comedy

KanjiiZ wrote:

Useless info no one should care about:
Which I find odd. I live in a city called Salinas and anime fans are scarce. During the Best Buy recall, anime doubled after decreasing in how much was available. I was amazed and disgusted at the same time. I didn't know what to buy, nothing really stood out. It just looks too big for its own good.

I really gave up on buying anime in stores years ago because I was sick & tired of driving all over town trying to find something when UPS will deliver it to my door often for less than Best Buy will sell it to me. Just because anime sells lousy in your neck of the woods doesn't mean squat.
I have been waiting for Angelique for years. I bought Haruka from Bandai Visual to support a harem title aimed at gals so that SOMEONE would maybe pick up Angelique. Yeah, there were some good VA's, but I really wanted Angelique with Hayami, Koyasu, Canna, Madono, Tobita, Seki, etc. The guys in Haruka are good, but there are more I like in Angelique. My interest in Neo Angelique is lower than the older titles, but I will buy this in the hope they will buy more if this does well & the $22 I will likely be able to get this for from TRSI for 13 eps/Season 1 makes it a steal. I paid more than that for a single dvd of Demon Prince Enma or Super Robot Wars (Though both were well worth the money). There have to be enough droolworthy moments somewhere in those 13 eps to make it worth $22.
ADV was so pissed Geneon stole Saiyuki. What about Burial? Come one, guys! We gals buy dvds! Kyo Kara Maoh Season 3! Please!
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Wonder if they'll be tempted to get more SHAFT shows if Hidamari does well?

I'd be over the moon if they released Bakemonogatari and Maria Holic. Bakemonogatari in particular wouldn't benefit from a dub, I think -- of course, I understand that there are dub-only fans out there that would disagree with me. Then again, I'd way rather have Bakemonogatari on BD.

If some one picked up Bakemonogatari for a English release I would buy it no matter what.

Still hoping Funi gets a hold of the other Shaft shows though, Natsu no Arashi could benefit from a dub. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei could be dubbed as long as there are translation notes somewhere on a DVD.

Any way I need to put a pre-order down on a few titles now that there getting English releases
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Alright Neo Angelique Abyss I am so happy too bad I'm at a library I can't squeal with excitment or people will think I'm going mad..... I hope they aim to get the Ef series next!!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Good for them. I know most people will be excited about Hidamari.

unfortunately not for dubbers like myself cause sure i like that the neo-adv co is licensing more anime,but their doing the same thing like media blasters and have all the good ones like these releases in sub only.the only dubs sentai has are former licenses from adv and geneon. good that they got licensed but will hold on buying them until there's a dub version too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
Sentai has taken a page from Nozomi; identify the types of shows that are, or would be popular with anime fans that prefer watching subs. The only way Hidamari Sketch makes a decent profit in R1 is to be released sub only, it has an audience, but the vast majority of that audience couldn't care less if it came with a dub. I'm sorry if some of you want a dub for these shows, I doubt they will ever get one. Not because they can't afford it, but because they probably never planned to from the start.
That's cool, i'll just extend as much effort in buying the show as they did making it. :colbert:
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
dizzon wrote:
Sentai has taken a page from Nozomi; identify the types of shows that are, or would be popular with anime fans that prefer watching subs. The only way Hidamari Sketch makes a decent profit in R1 is to be released sub only, it has an audience, but the vast majority of that audience couldn't care less if it came with a dub. I'm sorry if some of you want a dub for these shows, I doubt they will ever get one. Not because they can't afford it, but because they probably never planned to from the start.
That's cool, i'll just extend as much effort in buying the show as they did making it. :colbert:
Have you ever subtitled anything? It's not a zero-effort job, I'll tell you that much. And it's not like Sentai and Nozomi "make" these shows, anyway. I'm sure you know that, but why not support the very real effort put in by the Japanese creative staff and buy the products?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5