• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Yumeiro Pâtissière Pastry-Baking Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Although I am happy about this, I've been watching SMS's subs of this for a while now. I wonder if I'm still allowed to do so?
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Yay! This is a really cute series. Sure, it's cliched, but sometimes you just want to escape into something like that.

The thing about fansubs is that no one 'allows' you to watch them or doesn't. They're illegal from the getgo, though many fans consider them to be acceptable for non-licensed series. You just have to decide on your own whether you're doing enough to support the animators by watching them or not, buying the series or not.

For me the release on CR is enough because I pay to watch there, (and I won't be watching subs anymore), and I'll have it there to watch again if I wish.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
But I also remember that Crunchyroll BARELY uses subtitles for the OPs and EDs for any anime they acquire (the exceptions being Shugo Chara and Otogi-Jushi Akazukin), which annoys me!
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
But I also remember that Crunchyroll BARELY uses subtitles for the OPs and EDs for any anime they acquire (the exceptions being Shugo Chara and Otogi-Jushi Akazukin), which annoys me!

That's not their fault. I asked about that once and apparently it is very difficult to get the license to the music even if it's just subtitling. I was annoyed by that too.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I read that description, saw the shojo, saw the Natsumi and immediately thought Kitchen Princess had an anime version I didn't know of and freaked out. Now that the stars are out of my eyes, I now see that Natusmi Matsumoto =/= Natsumi Ando, the description is slightly different and the Characters are totally different. Disappointed is me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
The title's description -moreover its mentioning of a 'spirit of sweets'- gave me the initial impression that the show was sponsored by a sugar lobby. Perhaps stories about baked dessert items simply sell like hot cakes...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's not their fault. I asked about that once and apparently it is very difficult to get the license to the music even if it's just subtitling. I was annoyed by that too.

Oh, I see. So that's why. Okay then.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
WOOT!

CR rocks!

Only 2 other shows this season I would like to see on CR... Otherwise, every show I want to watch is on CR...
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

That would be pretty silly if it was true. The best reasoning I've heard is that CR gets all of their sub translations directly from the source. If they aren't given lyrics by TV Tokyo, D-Rights, or whoever then they don't put them in.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pseudo-retard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

That would be pretty silly if it was true. The best reasoning I've heard is that CR gets all of their sub translations directly from the source. If they aren't given lyrics by TV Tokyo, D-Rights, or whoever then they don't put them in.

Emerje

CR usually gets the transcripts from the source, they have to pay for the translations themselves. Ex fansubbers for the most part take care of that.

Quote:
MX Media is run by Tofusensei from Live-eviL (Ken Hoinsky). Participating translators in MX Media include Cyprene/Tellu54/Whatever9001nicksheusedbefore (Adam Whatever-mayer) and Quarkboy (Sam P). They do not always have official scripts, seeing as how Tofu was trying to get Natsume s1 captions from BSS. And the translations on Crunchyroll are not always done by MX Media. Quarkboy said that the terrible Nogizaka Haruka translation, in example, is not done by MX.

Hurr, official non fansubban translations durr.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quote
pseudo-retard wrote:
Emerje wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

Emerje

CR usually gets the transcripts from the source, they have to pay for the translations themselves. Ex fansubbers for the most part take care of that.

Not transcripts, script scripts. As in _the scripts_. Or pdf scans of them, anyway.

And song translations are usually not included not so much because they don't have the rights, but because all song translations have to get approved by the lyricists, and those guys could care less to ever respond to an email. Of course if you then go ahead and include them anyway the record company could send a nasty legal letter and shut down the entire thing, so best to not push anything.

People can look up the song translations online anyway if they want to know what they mean.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1