• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Eligible for Oscar

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Actually, The Legend of Buddha is from Singapore. http://in.news.yahoo.com/040910/149/2fzmg.html
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Nope.

You assumed that, because the Singapore Government financed it, that it was produced there.

Assumptions are bad.

It was produced by an Indian company, with funding from Singapore. All of the animation was actually done in the Phillipines.

Next question?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Nope. Just comments. It's gonna be a tight race this year with Disney and Dreamworks each having three films to promote. Fortunately, Innocence isn't Oshii's best work, so he might have a chance to win. Though judging by the standards of the Academy, Teacher's Pet will take home the gold.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I am waiting to see innocence in Taipei next week.

I have the DVD of Wonderful days. The animation and character designs are top notch. The story is good. I was very impressed that Korea can make a high quality animation. I'm happy that it was qualified. Much of the stuff created by disney isn't very good in terms of story. I would like to see the Indian animated film.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
I am waiting to see innocence in Taipei next week.

Hey, Ranmah, since you are in Taiwan right now, could you do me a favor: observe the audience responses and their facial expressions during the spoiler[religious festival parade] scene. I've been Googling around and found no Japanese could recognize the meaning of that scene, but there are three Taiwanese websites have pointed it out. I don't think audiences anywhere else in the world (Japan included) could grab the meanings of that specific scene.

The reason I didn't PM you is because I also want to know how many Western audience (ANNers, to be specific) could recognize and appreciate it. Sorry for being OT.

Last edited by dormcat on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Please do not put spoilers here. Please show some courteousy.

Once I see the film I'll PM you regarding the audiences reaction.

thanks

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
Please do not put spoilers here. Please show some courteousy.

He was being courteous by putting up spoiler tags, there's nothing wrong with that. In all actuality, that's not even a spoiler.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:41 pm Reply with quote
you were being very nice dormcat. I'll PM once I've seen the movie.

Ranmah
wil2197

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:26 am Reply with quote
Even with the Incredibles and The Polar Express in the mix, Shrek 2 was just a monster of a film, and really good too. It'll easily take the best picture awards. It's probably best that Steamboy wasn't released this year afterall. Personally, I think three movies is not enough for this category, and they should limit it to 5, like in other categories. Then Innocence would have a chance of being nominated. But it looks as though Anime will be sidelined for the Academy Awards.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:36 am Reply with quote
The award they gave to the first Shrek counts for both films. And Nemo's award counts for Pixar films for a while. So I guess Shark Tale and Spongebob will be almost likely to have the first two slots, while the third one can be for anything.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A maximum of 3 films can be nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar.

Well, that's not strictly true; a minimum of three films can be nominated, and a maximum of five, but it depends on the number of films put forward for nomination.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
elschwei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The award they gave to the first Shrek counts for both films. And Nemo's award counts for Pixar films for a while. So I guess Shark Tale and Spongebob will be almost likely to have the first two slots, while the third one can be for anything.

"Clifford's Really Big Movie" was John Ritter's last movie, so will likely be a nomine at the least.
RZetlin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:42 am Reply with quote
Has Steamboy released yet or will it be release next year?
Tondog38

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:34 pm Reply with quote
And no anime will win this year. The winner WILL be either Shrek 2, Shark Tale, or The Incredibles.
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I know it doesn't deserve to be nominated but shouldn't "Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie" be amongst the list of potential nominies?

Sydney2K wrote:
Quote:
A maximum of 3 films can be nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar.

Well, that's not strictly true; a minimum of three films can be nominated, and a maximum of five, but it depends on the number of films put forward for nomination.

Widya Santoso

I think it depends on the number of films eligible for the nomination. Personally I think it's stupid. I mean if there were only five animated movies released in a particular year and all of five of them were award-worthy then I think all five of them should be nominated. IMHO, the ammount of nominations should depend on quality of movies and not their quantity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3