• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Demons You Wouldn't Exorcise

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
Just a nitpick but Rin didn't enlist as a Paladin. A Paladin is the title given to the strongest Exorcist within the order. spoiler[Rin aspires to become a Paladin like his adoptiva father was, but right now, he's just an Esquire, training to become an Exorcist]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
This is a interesting list, demons you wouldn't exorcise. Well, 'Devilman' would be an odd pick mainly because it's a possession. To be honest who would want 'Amon' possessing their body? Especially since he's a bit of a D**K. He goes beyond that. Yet combining that power with Akira Fudou to take out other demons does come in handy. In the old 70s versions being Devilman seems like an interesting idea. Probably plenty of silliness with the side characters to ease the tension as it's a toned version of the REAL story by the father of demonic stories Go Nagai. But by the 90's still cool but...is having a demon possessing you a good thing when everyone is out to get you and the people close to you. Eventually root for ass-kicking. By Apocalypse it's like hoo boy...then you finally get to know what type of bastard Amon is. Is it still a good thing? The key is taking massive CONTROL of this F*ng SOB.

Then there's Jun Fudou of Devilman Lady, a new generation of demon/human hybrid but gotta save humanity from demons playing the evolutionary and survival of the fittest games. The manga is very different from the anime. Both can be appreciated as completely different works without getting pissed off of the differences.

How about the critters from Potemayo. While they never specifically state what they are one has to wonder about Guchuko. She carries a scythe and can cut things in half perfectly. Not to mention she comes from some weird dimension in your fridge. And she's cute as hell in her little "don't bother me" way.

Then you have mamodo Gash from Konjiki no Gash Bell. Never knew they were demons. I have to admit they were the oddest type of demons I'd ever seen. Looking like something out of a patchwork or puppet factory. Some even thought it was like Pokemon with dolls. That's was some of the impressions I heard until I researched it a little more. Kid demons living in their own world at one point in time having fun but later being forced to fight. Yeah he's a whiny crybaby but he would come through. Sillier moments are catching and eating Yellowtail butt naked, seems innocent enough. But the overall premise of the series was very dark. I was surprised.

And let's not forget about Chrono from Chrono Crusade. Of course the manga has a different take on the whole demon identity. But who wouldn't want to hang around with demon that is your best friend. Only one problem...my point exactly. Oh for those that have only seen the anime and regard that as icing on the cake, I would recommend reading the manga. The relationship between Rosette and Chrono is much more developed and more heartbreaking. That's just my opinion. Oh and I hated the anime despite sitting through the entire series. Sorry didn't like the direction or the designs. Guess that's what happens when you read the manga way before it was localized.

And for the adult interest of demons you wouldn't exorcise:

Makie from Wicked City. After all who doesn't want a smoking hot demon chick with long slicer nails can kick demon a$$ and look cool doing it. Kawajiri goodness.

Himari from Omamori Himari. What better way to cuddle up at night just long as you're not allergic to cats. I wonder if the manga even covered that. Y'know how anime series can ride a different horse. But she can swing a mean katana blade.

Megumi Amano from Legend of the Overfiend. They're from the demon world naturally. This minx is the epitome female sexuality x1000. She likes to tease, she's a playful nymph(o) and she LOVES SEX A LOT. She'll make you feel good, but you better have the type of staying power that demons have. At least that one episode I saw that concentrated on her they actually delved a little deeper into her personality. That she actually has a personality and not always a sex maniac. She almost seemed human.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gwydion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, can't understand the inclusion of Sebastian - I mean, everyone has there own opinions, but spoiler[he's only doing it so he can eat Ciel's soul (is this a spoiler?).] That doesn't sound like someone I'd want on my side. And the fact that Chrno (Chrno Crusade) got left off the list just makes that choice all the more painful! Especially when you consider that he spoiler[actually is vehemently against Rosette wasting her life energy just so he can use his full demon powers, unless absolutely necessary (just to be safe, I'll mark this a spoiler too).] Pretty big difference there, lol. But it's not my list, and to each his/her own!

But since half demons/youkai/ayakashi/etc also seem to be on the list, a personal choice of mine would be Gen from Kekkaishi. Wasn't surprised not to see him included, but he'd definitely be one I'd want on my side, even if he does take a while to warm up to people.
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to add Shia from Pita Ten to the list...I don't think I could ever bring myself to exorcise her. o_o;

Same with Xellos from Slayers...like him too much to get rid of him.

Or Nerine and her dad in Shuffle!...

Or Mao from Chibi Devi...

Or Elsie from The World God Only Knows...

So many characters I can think of lol...
lys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, I like the new poll! Many of the art forms sound interesting to learn. I initially thought ukiyo-e would be pretty cool (I love looking at the prints!), but then I realized how much work that would be, and remembered how impatient I got when I took printmaking in college. I just can't spend that much time on a single image! I picked tea ceremony instead. Yum, tea and Japanese sweets.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:32 am Reply with quote
Traditional Japanese Artform - two words: Mr. Miyagi.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
Along with Nyanko-sensei, I find the chibi demons in Yondemasu-yo, Azazel-san hilariously cute and lovable. My favorite is probably Moloch, who often looks like a plushie.
誤称

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
Why isn't tankery on the list of traditional Japanese arts? It is the pinnacle of femininity.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Megumi Amano from Legend of the Overfiend. They're from the demon world naturally. This minx is the epitome female sexuality x1000. She likes to tease, she's a playful nymph(o) and she LOVES SEX A LOT. She'll make you feel good, but you better have the type of staying power that demons have. At least that one episode I saw that concentrated on her they actually delved a little deeper into her personality. That she actually has a personality and not always a sex maniac. She almost seemed human.

Alright, alright, alright. 1,2 and 3 on this list {if you're so inclined. Putting them all under one number would be unfair} should be from Viper GTS, Carrera, Mercedes and Lati/Alphina {Why not?}. Bonus points for being 1) Actual demons {from Hell and everything} 2) Demons that are actually summoned {and which can be exorcised} and 3) better than the good guys.

Subtract points for being too obvious. And for being named after cars, I guess. And then there's the whole Hentai thing {"I've never seen the whole thing myself but..." Ok, now I'm just outright lying.}

As for the list, "demon" is a very tough thing to define; outside of the usual "winged/horned thing from whichever afterlife you care to name which are servantial in nature", suggestions seem to include, let's see: outright monsters, creatures from other worlds, devils and their spawn and bishonen {Oh, I agree absolutely, you just can't get rid of those guys through anything short of an exorcism}.

I'd list devils above demons; They're the beings more likely to come and go as they choose. And as usual, I'm taking the defintion of The List too much to its literal meaning...

I forgot to mention this the last time but I would have liked to seen Akiko Minase on the parenst list. She may be a single mom but she's one hell of a single mom {outside of the whole "taking a room on the first floor while the teenagers get rooms next to each other on the second floor" that is; Yet on the other hand, Akio and Sanae take in their daughter's boyfriend and that's even more screwed up}.

Hmm, Japanese art as a companion to being a samurai. I suppose calligraphy so I can make my own standard. Shamisen would be ok if I could do it like "Shopping Trip to Yokohama" and play it while doing the whole "In the name of the moon" bit; That is playing from the heights just before striking down with furious anger. Or Flower Arranging as there's nothing scarier than a Japanese florist.

Whit a katana.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Alright, alright, alright. 1,2 and 3 on this list {if you're so inclined. Putting them all under one number would be unfair} should be from Viper GTS, Carrera, Mercedes and Lati/Alphina {Why not?}. Bonus points for being 1) Actual demons {from Hell and everything} 2) Demons that are actually summoned {and which can be exorcised} and 3) better than the good guys.

Subtract points for being too obvious. And for being named after cars, I guess. And then there's the whole Hentai thing {"I've never seen the whole thing myself but..." Ok, now I'm just outright lying.}

As for the list, "demon" is a very tough thing to define; outside of the usual "winged/horned thing from whichever afterlife you care to name which are servantial in nature", suggestions seem to include, let's see: outright monsters, creatures from other worlds, devils and their spawn and bishonen {Oh, I agree absolutely, you just can't get rid of those guys through anything short of an exorcism}.

I'd list devils above demons; They're the beings more likely to come and go as they choose. And as usual, I'm taking the defintion of The List too much to its literal meaning...

I forgot to mention this the last time but I would have liked to seen Akiko Minase on the parenst list. She may be a single mom but she's one hell of a single mom {outside of the whole "taking a room on the first floor while the teenagers get rooms next to each other on the second floor" that is; Yet on the other hand, Akio and Sanae take in their daughter's boyfriend and that's even more screwed up}.

Hmm, Japanese art as a companion to being a samurai. I suppose calligraphy so I can make my own standard. Shamisen would be ok if I could do it like "Shopping Trip to Yokohama" and play it while doing the whole "In the name of the moon" bit; That is playing from the heights just before striking down with furious anger. Or Flower Arranging as there's nothing scarier than a Japanese florist.

Whit a katana.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I completely forgot about them. Yet I have the DVD on my shelf at home. It's not easy trying to find a show that has demons you wouldn't exorcise. Yes, the girls from Vipers GTS. My gawd, their signed up to stay permanently Laughing Yeah, it's a bit of a challenge of what constitutes demons, devils, spirits, etc... in terms of exorcising. Depending on the context there are some that probably can't be as they wouldn't be affected in terms of any religion. Wink
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Haha, Sebastian is only playing nice because he wants a nice meal. He actually didn't get along with Ciel at all when they began the pact... it's in the manga when spoiler[you see it the reels when Undertaker hits him with his death scythe. Even going as far as referring to Ciel as a brat and trying to talk him out of continuing revenge so he can devour him sooner in the back-story.]

Really it would just depend if you didn't want to be a snack in the end.

I know several others that could add to this list, too. Smile I mean, heck, you added Inuyasha, but what about sweet little Shippo or Kirara.

And I see that someone else has mentioned Xellos from Slayers. (You'd rather be friends than enemies with this guy anyway).
...And Chrono from Chrono Crusade (the ending of this series saddens me forever).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2