Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Air Raid


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zetabag



Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Posts: 46

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that the quality of Gate as a villain dragged down the quality of FMP TSR at all, in fact I don't even think he was a bad villian. While its true that there isn't much to his charcter, the reason why this dosen't hurt TSR is because he isn't part of the main focus of the story; the main purpose of TSR is the relationship between Sousuke and Chidori, and Souskue forging an identity and his own path in life. Gates is the main villian just because TSR needed one, but he's mainly comic relief if anything. I actually liked Gates because his crazy antics were quite funny in my opinion.

With regards to the dub, I find FMP TSR's Dub to be one of my favorites, and for the most part I think it's on par with the Japanses Dub. Anyway this is all just my opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bento-Box



Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Posts: 1030
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
About TSR - well, I really have to disagree with you on this one but I do understand where you're coming from.

Sure, there wasn't a ton of humor in it - that's because there wasn't supposed to be. Also, the main bad guy spoiler[wasn't really a "main bad guy" at all when you look at the big picture. He wasn't Sousuke's rival - Gauron was. And Guaron did make a pretty impressive appearance. I remember wondering at the end of the first season if Sousuke really got him or not. So, with TSR, I thought the new guy was going to be the "main deal", but he's definitely not. Look at what Tessa's brother is up to: what's going on with that?! He doesn't seem so clean and he seems much more intelligent than the opera-singing crazy man. The only reason Sousuke couldn't take crazy man out earlier was because he didn't have the right confidence and mindset to use the Arbalest properly. It was about watching the characters grow more than filling you with tons of laughter.] I can see why coming off of Fumoffu would leave people wanting more comedy, but there's a time and a place for it and TSR was not it. I think this is what made me like it the best actually.

A lot of anime titles let characters stagnate or just endlessly power up in order to keep things moving and it's starting to feel forced. I don't get that kind of feeling from FMP - any of its seasons. To me, TSR had a very classy feel about it and I felt they really did things the right way.

While I can agree with you that Gates felt a little cliche, I still don't think he drug the series down at all. The series had a lot of information packed into it and characters who were going through tons of changes. They needed some kind of character like that in order to keep it going since, spoiler[up until a certain point] Guaron was no longer in the picture.

And about the Dub. I don't listen to English casts very often and I typically think Chris Patton is a bit of a jerk for standing up FL convention scenes from time to time. However, I would willingly listen to this English track - and that's saying something. I usually end up disliking the English track after a few minutes of listening. With FMP, the only characters voices I can't stand are Tessa and Kyoko. The cast is top notch. And I think most people would agree with me, not just the Vic fangirls either. Luci Christian is a great voice actress and she really does a great job with Kaname.

I think the second season was much better than the first: less filler, more action, more suspense, kept some comedy in but didn't over do it, and really took the time to develop their characters. Not to mention the CGI looked substantially better. I mean, the submarine in the first season looked like crap and I felt silly watching it glub glub past the camera repeatedly.

I've been looking forward to the Blue Ray release of this for quite a while. I think it's an excellent purchase and belongs in any collection.

Sorry - I didn't mean to make this so long or rant-like, but I really feel strongly that FMP is one of the best balanced anime titles out there: it has a little something for everyone without over doing anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 6853
Location: Snake Mountain Cocktail Lounge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

I just found her reviewing style to be bit esoteric. Adn even though I'm being a bit unfair about her FMP section, the fact remains, that she's thinking a bit more about what "she" would do, rather than what fans would think overall.

So what if you think this title is worth watching, or loaning to a friend or not, the point is if the release has aspects that make Shelf Worthy, Rental Worthy, and Perishable, based on what contents it has, and how well it uses those elements to make it's story more unique than "more of the same".

I hear what you are saying j green, but this style of reviewing Shelf Life is not a proper way to treat these titles.


You appear to have appointed yourself the expert on what this column is "supposed" to be and how it "should" be written.

There are three people who make that decision: Erin, Bamboo, and myself.

You can rant and stomp your feet about how she's "not doing it right" but most of what you say doesn't make any sense. She's not supposed to compare one series to another? She's supposed to tell you what "the fans" (which is, by the way, almost always code for "what I think" when someone like you uses it) would think rather than what she thinks?

Shelf Life has always been a capsule review column with a particular point of view - it is author-driven, and it's supposed to be written in a more personal style than a standard formal review. It's always been like that. Bamboo wrote it like that. Bamboo also frequently compared one title to another title in order to contextualize her review and give you an idea of whether or not you'd like it. The entire point of the column is "what she thinks". It has never been... whatever you think it's "supposed" to be, which I can't get my head around at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
PetrifiedJello



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 3782

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Will everyone in here just shut the frak up, and get a GODAMNED LIFE!?


followed by wrote:
But people aren't being polite, or respectfully disagreeing. Some are, but a good chunk isn't. They're being bigoted douchebags, and that's the problem.

If this is chocolate pudding, I'd like a refund, please.

Constructive criticism here, but I found your post to be the most disrespectful in this entire thread. I certainly didn't appreciate reading it, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Maybe an edit is in order?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 14366
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
In John Casey's defense, I did find his second post (the chocolate pudding one) to be pretty funny. He could have escalated from my post, but took things in a better direction. I say, kudos!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 1946
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
therealssjlink wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
One Piece is so long, and it's about pirates, and pirates are historically bad guys, and the main character can stretch, and what's so great about it?! Says me, but I feel like I'm missing out...


Naruto is so long, and it's about ninjas, and ninjas are historically secretive and "hide in the shadows", and the main character wears orange has a fox demon and is very loud, and what's so great about it?

I think you haven't even read or watched One Piece.


You're right; I never gave OP a fair shake and I feel a bit guilty about it. I read the first volume or two of the manga a few years ago, didn't see anything interesting and gave up on the story. Meanwhile, I gave Naruto and Bleach a few tries, and after initially writing both series off, I eventually had periods of being "really into" both and found what was enjoyable in each.

I've heard some very smart fans claiming OP's superiority to Naruto and Bleach for years, so my question is: When does One Piece get good? Because if it is better than the other two, l'd love to see what makes it great for myself. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
egoist
Pirate KingPirate King


Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7669

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
If you didn't enjoy One Piece up to episode 10, then don't bother watching the rest of it. One Piece had its good moments along the road, but most of the time the same pacing was kept.

I thought this week's Shelf life was specially good. But I see many disagree. So far, nobody's put up a constructive criticism other than putting their own opinions against Erin's, but that doesn't make either of them wrong, though. And sincerely, I regret having read 4 pages of groundless complaints.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Otaking09



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 614

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac, i am not that angry over a column. It's just a column.

Next, I don't have any "die-hard" feelings for these particular titles either...
My ONLY problem was, that in comparison to Bamboo's style, he offered credible evidence to support what he said.

I get you when you say "author-driven", but, c'mon, you have to notice a bit of a difference of how these titles have been rated.

As for what I mean by "the fans": I've been trying to get people to understand certain titles were different from one another, without ressorting to comparing, because TOO many people I know get dissuaded that way.
When it's neccessary, it's neccessary (like for first timers...), but for seasoned watchers who've seen it all, getting them to try something new, or, at least, getting them to even think about it is quite difficult.
And for someone to name random series like that to illustrate a point doesn't help me conclude if it is worth checking out or not.

Erin did 3 columns so far, right? The first one was pretty good, the second one had a bit of references during the Magikano and D. Gray-man sections, and we have this one.
Bamboo, at least not for a long time, hardly EVER used that much references!

I respect Shelf Life. Been reading it since Summer 2007 (when I started watching anime for real), and after reading that much, I can't help but notice a dramatic change.
All I'm saying, ultimately, is that I hope Shelf Life won't always be like this... But it could be too soon to tell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Cain Highwind



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 150

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
If you didn't enjoy One Piece up to episode 10, then don't bother watching the rest of it. One Piece had its good moments along the road, but most of the time the same pacing was kept.
.

Actually it really doesn't get good until about 35 episodes in the middle of the Arlong arc. Many fans will back me up on that one. If you still don't like it, then there's no hope for you. I mean you're asking what makes it good, and THAT'S what makes it good. It's the same thing that the column was talking about with the latest volume (really made me smile when I read that as I love the really tender, emotional parts of that arc as well)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
egoist
Pirate KingPirate King


Joined: 20 Jun 2008
Posts: 7669

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Then let me explain myself better. Basically, yes, it does get "good", but that "goodness", obviously, won't last for the rest of the series. Just like I said, One Piece has its epics and "masterpiece" moments, but as soon as that's gone, it's back to its normal pace. And that's why I said what I said. But, just like you said, someone who's interested in knowing One Piece should at least watch up to one of those "good" moments to decide whether they'll follow it or not. That's my recommendation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
UltimateSpaceLion



Joined: 08 Jul 2006
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
egoist wrote:
If you didn't enjoy One Piece up to episode 10, then don't bother watching the rest of it. One Piece had its good moments along the road, but most of the time the same pacing was kept.
.

Actually it really doesn't get good until about 35 episodes in the middle of the Arlong arc. Many fans will back me up on that one. If you still don't like it, then there's no hope for you. I mean you're asking what makes it good, and THAT'S what makes it good. It's the same thing that the column was talking about with the latest volume (really made me smile when I read that as I love the really tender, emotional parts of that arc as well)


I don't think anyone should have to watch 35 episodes of a show for it to get good. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, don't let the haters get you down, Erin! People don't like change, and they're are always at their most negative and outspoken on Internet forums. (The main reason I don't comment on 'em too often, I don't like being personally attacked.) Of course the column isn't going to be the same. Erin and Bamboo are two different people with differing styles. Get over it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
21stcenturydigitalboy



Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Posts: 103
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Ehehe, what drama! Personally, I'm a fan of Bamboo and, as Erin probably knows, I am a big fan of her as well. Can't we like them both? Must we compare them? can't WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!

I love Erin's style because while I admit it isn't as brisk and flowing as Bamboo's, Erin definitely shows that she knows her stuff and that she's a person who has seen a LOT of anime and has a lot of knowledge and experience to share. It can perhaps be a little bit jarring for newer fans who won't get her references or quite get where her thoughts are coming from, but as a guy whose seen just about everything and has a lot of similar idea to Erin, I enjoy reading her style and I really feel I can embrace her opinion.

Now, as for her reviews. Tokyo Majin has one of my favorite first episodes of all time, I've watched that thing a lot of times! Unfortunately, the rest of the show was pretty meh, like you said. It really bothered me that the characters seemed to just gradually loose their individuality and mold into one. I did not ever get around tot he second season, either.

I've only seen 2 eps of FMP TSR, but I thought the second one was amazing. I feel like I'll love this show, but I am also massively biased because I love violent bad-guys and I REALLY REALLY love lesbian incest.

One Piece is pretty awesome, too. I haven't gotten to the Chopper arc myself, but I had always heard it was one of the weaker ones with th exception of the part you mentioned where Luffy carries them up the hillside. Interesting to hear another prespective on that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 6168
Location: IL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
35 episodes of 424 (and it's still going) is around one-twelfth of the series itself.

If you're not interested in a grand adventure that you can't even watch 8% of it, then just don't bother.

Arlong Park (starting at episode 31 and ending in the mid 40s I believe) is where a viewer typically gets sucked into the One Piece world. That's where I got sucked in.

The truly awesome thing about One Piece is that even though there are a few moments of downtime (arguably Skypeia and Davy Back Fight), it's always still fun to watch. And given the enormous series length, there are relatively few filler episodes (when compared to other shounen series like Naruto, Bleach, D. Grayman, Reborn, etc).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Elfen Noir



Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Erin, I am enjoying your reviews in Shelf Life. I am finding already that I tend to agree with your assessments and that's very satisfying, as I can look forward to your recommendations now Smile.

I found eventually that I frequently agreed with Bamboo, also, so I relied on her reviews and it's great to know that I can continue in the same vein easily.

It sounds like you are still very keen on anime and that's so encouraging in a reviewer. Keep up the good work, thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alestal



Joined: 22 Apr 2005
Posts: 515

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll throw my opinion out there. I don't think it's the reviewer or their style that people are getting disapointed at, I think it's the anime that was reviewed that week. For the past few months I haven't really been interested in the anime featured and it's taken some enjoyment out of the article.
I wouldn't mind if Erin threw in a few reviews from past or previously reviewed anime, maybe one per article?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group