• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Air Raid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Zeqasa Saitou wrote:

I am totally jealous of Hunter's signed copy of "Fool on the Planet" by the pillows. Being one of the best Jrock bands, I can understand why he would put it front and center on his "Knick-Knack" shelf. The "The girl who leapt through time" poster is a thing of beauty as well.

Heh. Thanks. I was just sad that Jun (the bassist) rarely, if ever, signs things because he's not considered a true member of the band.

I don't watch One Piece, but as for TSR I wasn't really left with the best taste in my mouth. The story was pretty weak and there are very few good character moments (Sousuke's haircut was one of the good ones), but the thing that disappointed me the most was that they seemed to keep Tessa's flanderized personality they developed in Fumoffu for TSR. It worked for Fumoffu, but it did not fit a show that tried to be as serious as TSR.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
I think Erin is a good reviewer, but she's too nice. She could have just said Tokyo Majin is a really bad series and should not even be rented. Tokyo Majin is one of the few series that I regret owning, and I bought Zero no Tsukaima for gods' sake.

I just want to warn you that the series doesn't make any sense. There's this weird storytelling that does not work. The first episode is so great, and I wanted more but all of a sudden it goes back in time...and forward...and then present....terrible series.
BaHaya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
I never write in the forums here... sorry Razz But I had to just now cause your One Piece review was just, well everything I felt when watching One Piece the first time. "Why couldn't I go back in time and make myself watch it as a kid or why wasn't it available. Ah well, guess I will have to make my future kids watch it"

It just really is that great with the fun and the story and the characters and still lots to learn from it with serious emotions. Have to give your One Piece review 10/10 !
The Count

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I think Erin is a good reviewer, but she's too nice. She could have just said Tokyo Majin is a really bad series and should not even be rented. Tokyo Majin is one of the few series that I regret owning, and I bought Zero no Tsukaima for gods' sake.

I just want to warn you that the series doesn't make any sense. There's this weird storytelling that does not work. The first episode is so great, and I wanted more but all of a sudden it goes back in time...and forward...and then present....terrible series.
Tokyo Majin really shouldn't be that hard to follow. The few times it does go back in time it's to show the characters past and what drives them to do the things they do. This isn't some weird new storytelling device. Many other show have done the same thing. If you watch just the first season I can see how you might not get it all, but if you watch it all it comes together and makes sense. Guess I'm one of the few who loved the series. Kind of made me think what a Persona game would be like if it where an anime (before the Persona anime came out). Also I liked the darker turn FMP TSR took and hope more comes out.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

It may be bad to you, but to her it might not be that bad of a series, or she might have a more favorable opinion of it. Trust me there were times when Bamboo was still doing SL and I would disagree with what she said about a series, but I would still regardless if I would agree or not respect what she said as her opinion of the show.

Now I disagree with TSR being Rental Worthy as I find it shelf worthy as I found it to be better than FMP overall, but then again the FMP series (All three shows not just the original) are not for everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:49 am Reply with quote
I agree that FMP: Second Raid has all the makings of a solid mecha series, but that it is brought down by severe weak villain syndrome. At times it feels like Gates is only in there to act as an obstacle, but he is neither interesting as a pure force of nature as the Joker in The Dark Knight, nor charismatic like Char Aznable.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
I loved One Piece right from the start. I liked how it was a manga/anime that dared to look different, and through Eiichiro Oda's weird character designs, made it feel different than anything else I had ever seen. I did find Luffy to be kind of annoying at the start though.

Some of you are getting the wrong impression about what people mean for the series to get good. When people cite the Arlong segment of the series, they don't mean they see One Piece as drab and bland before this and suddenly graduates into anime greatness or anything. I know it was mentioned before, but I feel it needs another mention: This is where One Piece fans say the series went from great to excellent. If the first few episodes don't interest you, you don't have to watch it.

That being said, you can also start directly from Arlong if you wish. I don't know what episode that is, as I've only read the manga, but you don't really need to know much, or perhaps anything, about the characters beforehand to understand what's going on here. One Piece doesn't really transition from one story to the next. You just have the Straw Hat Pirates sailing around, then either finding an island or meeting someone at sea. Arlong is also early enough in the story where the characters they meet aren't yet referencing other characters. Oda's still creating the roots for the adventure at this point.

Besides, in this column, you can see that Erin began from the Drum Island story and didn't have a problem understanding what's going on. (Unless she DID see some One Piece before this; nevertheless, no prior knowledge is needed to understand Drum Island.)

Regarding the review of Full Metal Panic, I was reminded of a quote from Roger Ebert:

"Each film is only as good as its villain. Since the heroes and the gimmicks tend to repeat from film to film, only a great villain can transform a good try into a triumph."

Ever since I saw that quote, I was thinking about how villains apply to some of my favorite and least favorite movies, TV series, books, nd so forth and realized just how right Ebert was. I've never seen any Full Metal Panic, so I can't say anything about that, but if the villain in a story is weak as a character, then I do find it to be a very good reason to mark it down in a review.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:36 am Reply with quote
Well I see the honeymoon is over. That didn't last long. Wink
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Now I disagree with TSR being Rental Worthy as I find it shelf worthy as I found it to be better than FMP overall, but then again the FMP series (All three shows not just the original) are not for everyone.

But really, for $99 SRP?! I think Fumoffu is Shelf Worthy because I'd actually watch it again. For $90 you could get the Heavy Metal collection, which has both seasons plus Fumoffu. If that was on sale, it'd be way more Shelf Worthy than just TSR.

In any case, my requirements for Shelf Worthy-ness are that I'd watch it again, or I'd want to loan it to friends. TSR was fine and entertaining, but I'd never re-watch it. Any friend who would want to see this probably already owns it. That is to say, every fan of FMP I've ever met already owns the entire series, so I can't imagine a situation where I'd loan it to anyone.

FMP isn't something I'd loan to non-anime fans (too many sub-par robots and unfunny jokes), or to beginner fans who were just getting into anime. There are lots of other much more Shelf Worthy series to watch first, and once you've seen all of those, then FMP is alright to watch.

I almost bought The Wings of Honneamise for $80 for my husband's birthday once, but I just couldn't do it. Although it's a classic Gainax movie that we would watch again AND loan to friends I couldn't justify spending $80 on a single film.

FMP is on the very edge of the rental shelf for me. It's good enough, I had a nice time watching it, and had I rented it, I would feel it was well worth the monthly Netflix fee or whatever. I'd recommend other people rent it as well.

On the other hand, Tokyo Majin is more like at the end of the Netflix queue. Only the first episode is worthwhile. I wouldn't recommend it to rent so much as warn you that if you were thinking of buying it, maybe you'd better rent it first to see if you like it.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
[
But really, for $99 SRP?! I think Fumoffu is Shelf Worthy because I'd actually watch it again. For $90 you could get the Heavy Metal collection, which has both seasons plus Fumoffu. If that was on sale, it'd be way more Shelf Worthy than just TSR.

I didn't realize that the TSR BR was $99. I bought the singles last year and I am content with the DVD's since Blu-ray is not something I have an interest in nor do I want upgrade just yet.

I do agree with you though that I wouldn't give FMP to those getting in anime at first, just like I wouldn't give Excel Saga or Pani Poni Dash to those new to anime either. I didn't think the mechs were sub-par I though they were pretty well designed and not over the top. I though the small bits of comedy in FMP and TSR were good, but not as great as Fumoffu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

But no store that I know of actually charges SRP. It would take a pretty terrible shopper indeed to actually pay $99 for the set. Hell, they would still be a terrible shopper if they paid the $70 you mention in the column. And the Heavy Metal collection doesn't contain TSR.

As for the column itself, there's nothing of interest to me. Already have all of FMP, not interested in Tokyo Majin and I didn't like what little I saw of OP. I managed to get to that one clown pirate before I bailed and I have no interest in seeing anymore of it. I thought Luffy sucked and hope never to meet anyone like him in real life as I would have to kill them. Besides, I'm already collecting Bleach. Only one long running incomplete shonen series for me. Two at once would be too much for me.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
But no store that I know of actually charges SRP. It would take a pretty terrible shopper indeed to actually pay $99 for the set. Hell, they would still be a terrible shopper if they paid the $70 you mention in the column. And the Heavy Metal collection doesn't contain TSR.

I misinterpreted this encyclopedia page:
Quote:
The first two Full Metal Panic series, together for the first time in one big, beautiful package!

Oops! I don't think of TSR as a sequel to Fumoffu, but the encyclopedia says otherwise.

About SRP, I don't really know of another standard baseline pricing to refer to. Everything is on sale, all the time, but the sales are inconsistent. It's useful to have a number to work from.

P.S.
Here's a really interesting interviewwith an author of a book about sales and bargain shopping.
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Something's amiss in this Shelf Life article. Shocked Shocked Shocked

I have nothing against the "holy trinity of shounen anime" [Bleach, One Piece, Naruto]. I do consider them great shows to stay tuned into like other long-running shows like Dragonball.

They are great and they have great following of fans.

On the other hand, placing Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid on "shelf rental" while One Piece (and it's 400+ episodes) gets "shelf worthy" is going to raise many, and I mean really many eyebrows.

Laughs... [saved the Shelf Life article to MS word and passed it around to my friends] Laughing Laughing Laughing

One even said, that I had to forgive her since she sprobably took the time and effort writing this article AFTER wathing One Piece (and it's 400+ episodes) and Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid.

What was Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid? Hmmmmm... I've got to be kidding myself if i'll need defending this show since anyone who've seen it's glory in DVD/Bluray will undoubtedly............

Quality, pacing, execution, and impact are needed to determine a shows value when reading Shelf Life, yes? Pointing out something in an Anime News Network article that really needs re-evaluation seems really necessary.

I'm not having a hostile impression, am I? If I did please do forgive me, i'm not worthy of "moderation powers."

Aargh. [Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid is just Shelf Rental? *glomps*] Look out! The world is coming to an END!!

[edit]Anime News Network is a High-Traffic website. Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid is definately getting publicity. Just how good and fair that publicity is... well, Yaranaika! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Can't people just let this go? She explained her reasoning for putting The Second Raid on the Rental Shelf, and just because you don't agree with the decision doesn't mean it's right or wrong. Don't forget that the 400+ episodes of One Piece aren't what got "Shelf Worthy" this week.
Quote:
So let's say you only bought/watched the best seasons of One Piece, and not necessarily the entire series. I would definitely pick up this box.

(The first two sentences of the second paragraph for the One Piece review)

I've been enjoying the articles, and I find her reasoning to be sound. Personally I think that if you haven't seen it yet, the investment for the Blu-Ray version is pretty steep, so renting it first makes sense. I've never thought of the Rental Shelf titles as being titles that aren't worth watching more than once, or aren't worth watching at all. I see the Rental Shelf titles as ones that you should test the water with first, before taking the plunge.
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
okay, I just did let go, thanks Brazzlefrazz. [breathed in large amounts of oxygen] situation is normal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7