• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Play Arts Spike Spiegel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
100 dollars for that? It looks like a generic action figure you'd buy off the shelf.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
I think the face is definitely the biggest downside to figure - definitely Host Club Spike. It doesn't seem to look so bad from a distance, but when you get around to posing him, and especially that picture where he's got his legs stretched out and his head turned upwards...I feel like he should have a background of sparkles and roses.

Not a bad figure, but not one I think I'll be adding to my collection. The only Play Arts I tend to go for are the Final Fantasy ones, which I think translate better to Square-Enix's figure line than the 2D animation does.

I'm sure Square-Enix tries harder for its own characters.

Faces can be tricky, but this one wasn't really in the ballpark. As you said, at a distance, it looks fine, but up close is where it flops, and for the price, the figure really ought to hold up to such scrutiny. Not having different colored eyes, like in the show, makes me wonder how much they cared about the details.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2