• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Strange Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
I'd need some way of making American games play on a PAL system, wouldn't I? I've never really looked into importing much...

Freeloader, man. I don't know about Wii, but it works like a charm on Gamecube.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
Re: Starship Hector's difficulty. Sounds like Bomber King/Robo Warrior. Ridiculously hard first level. I've heard that the later levels are actually easier, but it's just way too easy to blow yourself up or run out of juice in the first one.
mlisette23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
So many awesome games coming out next year, finally get to dust off my Wii after playing No More Heroes (wow has it really been that long Shocked )I already have Fragile and Sakura V pre-ordered (though I think I pre-ordered it for PS2 since it showed up in my Amazon quick picks).

I haven't decided where I'll be pre-ordering SMT: Strange Journey yet either Amazon or Game Crazy, I just really hope I can finish it before FFXIII comes out; actually I should probably finish SMT: Nocturne before Strange Journey comes out. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Edit: Anyone else hoping they change the box art for Strange Journey?
sfried

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
mlisette23 wrote:
Edit: Anyone else hoping they change the box art for Strange Journey?
If there's anything to change, it's the "Shin Megami Tensei" font portion. My mockup:

Also, the text supposed to be one line.

That said, I like the rest of it. There's just something classy about some guy standing there in the front cover.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Generic #757858 wrote:
Showsni wrote:
Baten Kairos Origins. Never got a European release, despite us getting the first game...

You didn't import it? Nothing extraordinary, but well worth it if you liked the first one. Too bad Namco seems to have abandoned the series, I'd gladly take more Baten Kaitos over more Tales.

I'd need some way of making American games play on a PAL system, wouldn't I? I've never really looked into importing much...
I kinda figured, so I didn't say anything. Most of the cheat devices have an option to play in NTSC or PAL. You'll have to go out of your way to find one now.

I just found My copies of Keio Flying Squadron. Both in perfect condition. I can't believe Keio goes for so much on Ebay. Why?
RedLeader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Showsni wrote:

Freeloader, man. I don't know about Wii, but it works like a charm on Gamecube.

Freeloader don't work on Wii. I think only the latest version of the GC one worked on Wii until Nintendo killed it with a firmware update. Then the company that makes Freeloader made Wiiloader. Nintendo killed that too. The only way to play foreign games on your Wii is to hack it with the Homebrew Channel. How exactly that works, I don't know, though I suppose I'll have to find out at some point if I ever want to play SRWWii... Anime cry
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, maybe I'll see if I can import a secondhand copy of the game, buy a secondhand Freeloader and dig out my Gamecube. Hm, and the cables are plugging in my CDi at the moment... Cables that came with my SNES, and I've used with the N64 and Gamecube.
sfried

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Wii games, does anybody know who sings the credits theme at the end of Sin & Punshiment 2?
Teclo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
As long as you haven't updated to firmware 4.2, you can softmod the Wii to play imported games and homebrew. It's just a case of copying some files of an SD card onto the Wii. The 4.2 update does nothing other than (temporarily) disable the Wii's ability to play imported games and homebrew - i.e. there's no reason to update.

Anyway, I've actually played Another Code R for over 2 hours now. Here's an off-the-top-of-my-head review. The bad points first; it's incredibly linear in every meaning of the word. It's heavily scripted so you can't go very far (literally, walk along for a dozen seconds or so) before a conversation between Ashley and an NPC starts. Sometimes they're quick but they usually last for at least 5 minutes. You don't walk around and explore, rather you move along invisible rails on the ground, running from left to right with the occassional junction. Entering such a junction rotates the camera through 90 degrees so Ashley is still walking from left to right (or vice versa, of course).

In the 2 hours plus of play, there have been only two "puzzles". One was "Use Charcoal on BBQ, use matches on BBQ" and the other was "Throw beef jerky to make a dog go away from you". The entire game so far is basically going along a linear path for a few seconds before getting into a conversation (with low interactivity) for between 5 to 15 minutes a time.

The good sides? Well it has a really gentle atmosphere and is very relaxing to play. While exactly far from "next gen", the graphics are very attractive and well done. It's really not a puzzle game or even really a game, it's a slightly interactive novel. If you approach it as a VN rather than a game, you'll enjoy it (assuming you like VNs). The characters feel realistic and believable, as do their interactions.

The facial expressions of the conversationalists are always changing to reflect what they're saying, or how they respond to what the other people are saying, and this really draws you into the conversations. The expressions are very emotive, particularly Ashley's which also tend to be very moe. You do really feel like two humans are talking rather than just a "Plot Exposition Device" rattling off info at you and the characters are nuanced and multi-faceted.

It has a grounded feeling, which makes the mystery elements seem more compelling; or at least, the notion of the mystery eventually appearing, for all that's really happened in about 2 and a half hours is a series of mundane events and lots of - admittedly well written and usually interesting - conversations. The first game had a more surreal feeling from the start which left it feeling somewhat ICO-esque, sort of dreamlike. This feels more realistic and so far, with a couple of examples of foreshadowing of things to come, could just be a totally realistic drama.

Despite how it may sound from the first two paragraphs, I'm really enjoying it and do recommend it - but as a book rather than as a game. The UK box even has a sticker on it saying "Read and solve like a mystery novel!"

If you want to softmod your Wii to play import games you can PM me and I'll link you to a guide and the files you need. You can buy the game for £27.93 from Amazon UK. That's about $44. Now you know how expensive games are in the UK, and bearing in mind that's almost half price.

Sorry for the enormous post but I wanted to correct myself on writing the game off in my previous post and felt it deserved a proper description.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3