• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kid Friendly Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khestrel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:15 am Reply with quote
My little sister's birthday is coming up this February, and as a gift, I thought it would be nice to buy her a couple of anime DVDs to start off her own collection. She adores most anything she can get her hands on, but since most of my own anime is strictly of limits (very little of it is appropriate for an ten year old) she is pretty much limited to what is shown on Saturday TV.

I was wondering if you guys could suggest a few interesting anime shows that are appropriate for and will appeal to a ten, soon to be eleven year old girl. Oh, and to keep this from being a "list thread" *doesn't know if that rule would really apply to this*, perhaps you could give a short description or something.

Thanks. Very Happy

Khe-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:21 am Reply with quote
Maybe Card Captor Sakura, a magical girl show. I'm not sure how the anime is handle, but the manga is kiddie friendly and it's definitely something a girl would like. Actually I would recommend the manga instead, because it would help her read more, but I know most kids don't like to read these days

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ev0luti0nzer0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quote
Well..i would say Pokemon but i'm not sure what stuff she likes so its pretty hard. Like darkhunter said Card Captor Sakura is a good choice you can check it out in the Anime Encyclopedia Under "C"..
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:03 am Reply with quote
Hmm... well, I show my own children a lot of anime, but I'm known to be rather more permissive of what I show them than most parents. Furthermore, my children are boys, which does make a difference.

Many of the shows that I would recommend (such as Pretty Cure, Bottle Fairies, Twin Spica and the like) are probably not available on DVD in the U.S.A.

However, I can and will recommend Kiki's Delivery Service, which is a beautiful film, and entirely appropriate for a young girl. Not only is it one of Studio Ghibli's best films, it also gives her a girl of similar age to identify with.

And while we're on the subject of Studio Ghibli, there's Totoro, which is a great film for children - my own boys have seen it several times, and love it dearly. Again, it offers a young female heroine to identify with, and it is a beautiful and moving story.

As an afterthought... you might want to look at Shrine of the Morning Mist, the first U.S. volume of which is just out on DVD. It offers strong female heroines and a tale filled with good values (friendship, forgiveness, heroism). I know it didn't get a good review in ANN's own Shelf Life column, but I don't necessarily agree with that review. My personal experience with it was that it appealed to both myself and to my boys, who watched it through to the end with rapt attention. What more can one want?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:32 am Reply with quote
Other than the two Ghibli titles abunai mentioned, I cordially recommend A Little Snow Fairy Sugar, the best kawaii-styled yet deeply moving TV series, with no offending material at all (CCS skillfully hides spoiler[a lot of forbidden love relationships]; that's CLAMP's favorite subject), for any children (little girls in particular) and any adults who still have a little child deep inside one's heart.

Music is one of the major theme in the story, and for that reason the classical-styled music composed for this title is very beautiful and charming. The background art is one of the best I've seen -- a beautiful European town drawn with watercolor. (Original) character designer Koge Donbo is best known for her (?) cute, if not THE cutest, character designs (other than Sugar, there are Pita Ten (not yet licensed) and Di Gi Charat (some of its titles, such as the movie and Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat, was licensed in US)); whoever sees her characters would say "Awwwwwwww!" Finally, the protagonist Saga Bergman is 11 years old, a perfect match for your younger sister. Her character development, mainly focused on relationships between she, Sugar, and their relatives and friends, also provides good role models.

Geez, this is one of few titles made me cry at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Darn, dormcat beat me to it. Yeah, get Sugar and you won't be disappointed at all.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Ghibli movies that were already mentioned are all great. Porco Rosso and The Cat Returns come out next month so I don't know how kid friendly they are but they look good. Some people think SD Gundam is cute so you might want to check that out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I fully support Abunai's suggestion of Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. I saw Totoro when I was about 8 or 10, and it is still one of my favourites.
Kiki's Delivery is really good, too.
they both have good storylines, espically for a 10-year-old (they grab and keep your attention), and the characters are actually likeable!
plus, the Totoros are hella cute Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote
I agree with the Studio Gihbli stuff; not only is it the highest quality anime out there, but it's also great for kids! Excluding Princess Mononoke and that other film about Tanuki. If you want better results, you'll have to tell us a little more about what your family deems appropirate. For example, at that age, I could watch violent and scary movies, but nothing with foul language and sexuality.

Other than that, I reccomend Saint Tale - a cute magical girl show that's also down to earth and not too cliche. Just about as innocent as it gets. I also agree with the CCS idea, but don't automatically buy something because it's by Clamp - we wouldn't want her with a copy of the X movie, now would we? :) Other CLAMP younster-proof goodies are Magic Knight Rayearth (save one scene in the second season) and Angelic Layer. Steer away from X, and very very far away from Chobits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one mentioned this:

Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned this:
Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety

It was in my mind, but I couldn't recommend it, for I've never watched even a single episode. All I've learn about it were plot summaries.... Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:48 am Reply with quote
If she likes cats, I highly recommend Catnapped! The Movie and Night on the Galactic Railroad.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:42 am Reply with quote
What about Spirited Away? It is a classic, and kids also like it. If not, Pokemon and Card Capters is always a decent option. I know my younger cousin (by about 15 years) loves DBZ, but that obviously won't work... Very Happy
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Da Games Elite wrote:
What about Spirited Away? It is a classic, and kids also like it. If not, Pokemon and Card Capters is always a decent option. I know my younger cousin (by about 15 years) loves DBZ, but that obviously won't work... :D

Don't gender stereotype.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I'd recomend Spirited Away as well, and Castle in the Sky is also good. They're the only titles in my personal collection that don't contain any real heavy violence or language, and would be appropriate for all ages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3