• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NPR Talk Manga, Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Since the topic has been "moved", I'll repost my text from the topic I started in the Anime section:

Just finished listen to the segment. My wife told me about it and she even managed to call in and plug our store

Guests:
Peter Carey, author of Wrong About Japan : A Father's Journey with His Son (Knopf, 2005)

Calvin Reid, comics editor for Publisher's Weekly.

Elizabeth Kawasaki, managing editor at Viz, a publisher of Japanese manga.
Septeus7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:10 pm Reply with quote
What broadcast? The only broadcast I heard was Deconstructiing Iraq's Election.....
Rukusho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
This is kinda intresting....the way the host pronounces some of the names (like Gundamn) makes me laugh Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SpikesGrrl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Rukusho wrote:
This is kinda intresting....the way the host pronounces some of the names (like Gundamn) makes me laugh Laughing

or Rurouni Kenshin Very Happy, he didn't say it right the first time but when that lady from Viz was on he said it right (maybe she told him the right way to say it Laughing ).

Mary
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
When they played some of the Yu-Gi-Oh dub, we all screamed.

Then there was the Goondum. hehe
Strategos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
NPR has had a few anime pieces, this one wasn't awful, it got better at the end. The host's pronounciations were bad, and the author of the book had zero idea what he was talking about. He gets to meet some of the most important and influential people in anime and manga and learns nothing about it. The other two guests were good though. I like to listen to things like that to see what "the rest of America" thinks and knows about these things.
Stueypark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:10 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, it's though to know how to pronounce any proper name, especially foreign ones.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't listen to it, but I can only think of on thing:

Margaret Jo: Neat.. fun.. fun..
Teri: Yeah.
Margaret Jo: Fun ..
Teri: That's a lot of fun.
Margaret Jo: Yeah that's really fun.
Teri: It's a fun thing to do.. .
Margaret Jo: Yeah.
Teri: Good times.
Margaret Jo: Good times.
Teri: Good times.
Margaret Jo: Good times.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:49 am Reply with quote
I listened to the piece. Yeah I can't believe the author and his son got to meet the some of the great artists in the Industry. Many beginning artists would cut their drawing hand just to meet Miyazaki.

He had no clue how important these arts are. The kid just went off and play the Banjo.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dachande

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
I just couldn't stop laughing whenever the host guy kept mispronouncing Gundam. It's was freakin hilarious. Can't believe of all the anime they could have picked they picked Yo Gi Oh to air. And of all the people they had to put on the air they picked some stupid 13 year old. It was an intersting piece to say the least, just hope that if they do it again they get someone who can pronounce thigs right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Tonight I'm gonna see if I can download this NPR story. I expect Peter Carey will have some wonderful insights into Miyazaki et al., albiet insights that flew under the radar of some of the naysayers around here. Frankly I'd rather hear from a lucid non-otaku on the subject of Miyazaki than some quivering, worshipful otaku. I'm sure Miyazaki finds it refreshing to meet people who don't wanna worship at his feet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Nope, Carrey did suck. He even admitted that he didn't know much about manga or anything.

Beelzebozo, your wife's call was THE best and most accurate segment of the show^^ everything else was utter crap ('specially the brat...yikes) tho Kawasaki wasn't that bad.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Beelzebozo, your wife's call was THE best and most accurate segment of the show^^ everything else was utter crap ('specially the brat...yikes) tho Kawasaki wasn't that bad.

She was worried she sounded like a dork. thanks for the compliment. Many more and we won't be able to get her head out of the door Razz
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
If you want to hear it, go here fast, before it's deleted:

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=5&prgDate=01-31-2005

Anyway, you nerds are so wrong about Peter Carey it's pathetic. Just because he isn't a card-carrying member of the otaku hive-mind doesn't mean he didn't gain rich insights from manga. His comments on that Gundam creator alone are worth hearing. I'm gonna buy his book.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Rukusho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm going to try and buy the book too. I think it would be intresting to see what his real take on anime is. I got a feeling from the show, the way he was talking at least, that he looked more into the culture rather than the people behind anime creations. I still cant figure out how he got a chance to meet all those directors though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2