• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alleged Akihabara Killer Sends Apology to Victim

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 am Reply with quote
Comparing the deaths of seven people to losing an online Avatar? That guy has serious problems. Beyond the fact he's killed seven people and is facing the death penalty, I mean.
qnworks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Comparing the deaths of seven people to losing an online Avatar? That guy has serious problems. Beyond the fact he's killed seven people and is facing the death penalty, I mean.

Some people have their whole life on the internet so loosing an avatar could have been the same as death for him:D
Killing is a great way to ease anger especially if you don't really want to continue your life Smile
Vekou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
I suppose I should be more careful who I piss off online...
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The pain must be like the the anger he felt when his on-line self was killed by trolls on a message board... Does Japan have an insanity plea?
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Insanity plea? I don't think being really pissed off for a stupid reason counts as insane. Anyhow this is just a sad case, especially for the victims. Now here's an example as to why we should all be polite to each other around here!
Arcwave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Yikes! This guy needs help!
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda sad how this story played out, especially since it happened in Akihabara! Sad But at least the killer apologized for it and admits that he deserves to die.

It just upsets me though that he killed 7 people all because his online avvie died...what is this world coming to? >.>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
While it really isn't a reason to kill anybody, it is understandable that he'd lose it after a while if he was being pestered constantly in a place he enjoyed being (In this case an internet forum I guess). It's not like this is the first time someone's lost it over messages aimed at them over the internet either, wasn't there a girl in the States that killed herself because some other girls mom was bullying her on Myspace?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Brazzlefrazz wrote:
While it really isn't a reason to kill anybody, it is understandable that he'd lose it after a while if he was being pestered constantly in a place he enjoyed being (In this case an internet forum I guess). It's not like this is the first time someone's lost it over messages aimed at them over the internet either, wasn't there a girl in the States that killed herself because some other girls mom was bullying her on Myspace?

Still seems rather silly. The States case occurred between, I believe, a girl and a person/people who she thought she knew in real life. She did know the girl(s), but not that the mother was using the account. The suicide would have more to do with having problems and a relationship with the people. Her troubled real life, combined with the constant remarks by another girl (who she knew), would have driven her to kill herself. But being pestered by a bunch of people he didn't know online and then going out and killing innocent people for it shows some deep mental issues. The loss of a loved one is much more agonizing than losing an avatar. It's like going up to a family of a deceased person or even pet and saying "Sorry about what happened...I know what it's like; I once lost my Tamagotchi because my friend forgot to feed it while I was on vacation."
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the mom was impersonating a made up 16 year old boy that the girl had obviously never met, what with him being fictional and all.

Story.
skwid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Insanity plea? I don't think being really pissed off for a stupid reason counts as insane. Anyhow this is just a sad case, especially for the victims. Now here's an example as to why we should all be polite to each other around here!

Going on a killing spree because you're "really pissed off" is the action of somebody in a stable state of mind? He's probably suffering from from some sort of mental illness and deserves to have it taken into account.
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there's no doubting that there's at least something wrong with him psychologically if he felt that the death of his online identity was enough of a reason to take several lives, and throw away his own in the process. What I was getting at with the comparison was that neither incident would have happened (probably not, anyways) if people weren't so intentionally cruel on the internet. Anonymity might keep you from getting any repercussions (usually), and both people must have already had problems, but all it takes is a spark to light a fuse.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
skwid wrote:
Going on a killing spree because you're "really pissed off" is the action of somebody in a stable state of mind? He's probably suffering from from some sort of mental illness and deserves to have it taken into account.

You kidding me right? To be forgiven after killing 7 simply because he's "mentally unstable". His letter proves otherwise, though. He sounds perfectly fine, and his impulse was perfectly controllable, but he just didn't care about holding himself, and that deserves a lifetime penalty or death. Never mind, let's see if the 7 families are capable of saying the same as you. Clearly, anyone who kills that many is obviously mentally ill, so shall we start forgiving all the damn murderers now?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Actually, the mom was impersonating a made up 16 year old boy that the girl had obviously never met, what with him being fictional and all.

Story.

Ah, okay...Maybe I was thinking of another story? Though, it may have involved a male being teased be females...Unfortunately, there have been a few here and can be a bit hard to keep straight. With that case, we don't get many of the details either, so it is quite possible that the girl was suffering from depression or other emotional issues.

Still, it doesn't take away from the fact that a man went out on a killing spree because someone "killed" his avatar.

Brazzlefrazz wrote:
Yeah, there's no doubting that there's at least something wrong with him psychologically if he felt that the death of his online identity was enough of a reason to take several lives, and throw away his own in the process. What I was getting at with the comparison was that neither incident would have happened (probably not, anyways) if people weren't so intentionally cruel on the internet. Anonymity might keep you from getting any repercussions (usually), and both people must have already had problems, but all it takes is a spark to light a fuse.

Ah, I see...Yeah, it's a bit sad that people can't be kind on the internet and just have fun taking away from others fun. It does make me wonder how they fell, knowing that they had led him to killing them. Not that he couldn't control himself, but it would probably make me sick to even think about the internet.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
skwid wrote:

You kidding me right? To be forgiven after killing 7 simply because he's "mentally unstable". His letter proves otherwise, though. He sounds perfectly fine, and his impulse was perfectly controllable, but he just didn't care about holding himself, and that deserves a lifetime penalty or death. Never mind, let's see if the 7 families are capable of saying the same as you. Clearly, anyone who kills that many is obviously mentally ill, so shall we start forgiving all the damn murderers now?

It's also worth noting that there's a difference between being mentally unstable and being "insane", at least in the eyes of the court. I don't know how it works in Japan, but in the U.S., even if someone is depressed or has other mental issues, it's incredibly difficult to successfully argue insanity. When a court rules a person to be insane, it means that they were not legally responsible for their actions due to their illness... something that doesn't happen too often :/

tl;dr - even if this guy was mentally unstable, it shouldn't absolve him of his crimes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3