• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 200 Waldenbooks Mall Stores to Close in January

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Who cares?
jopchan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
Considering that in my city, Walden's has a better selection of manga than Barnes and Noble, This is a big deal. I will definitely be saddened by their closure.
ayashe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
Great, mines one of those that are closing. I haven't been there in a while because the street cars and buses don't run so good anymore, and there's a gigantic B&N outside the mall (with at least 4 bookcases of manga). But this is going to be a blow to the mall, which has already had tons of closings.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait. Waldens' is STILL around?! All the ones around here went out of business YEARS ago. Looks like more of them are going the same way now. Huh.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
Well I don't shop at Waldenbooks much anymore- but the old Fairlane store use to be my stop. I figured this was coming- the other Waldenbooks I frequent (novi) became a Borders Express. So i was waiting on something.

The Portage location is at my old college Western Michigan- and in the mall. Theres a Barnes and Noble in front of the mall so they still have a bookstore. But Central has nothing! A college town with no bookstore? I know they're closing but they're needed up here if they want a sure thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:45 am Reply with quote
Unbelievable Sad , that was the only place I could get my manga not just because they had the best and largest collection but rather the only collection as the other book store stopped getting them in as much. And, ofcourse, the one I go to closes. Aaaaand the other one at the only closest mall, which is still far away, is closing too. This royaly bites for me. And I don't know of any other book stores that carries them 'cause I don't know of any other book stores save the one Confused . This sucks, I guess i'm going to have to go do some store searching soon.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
Who cares?

People lost their jobs. It's a retail outlet for manga. There's reason to care.

Luckily, my area was spared.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:16 am Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
Who cares?

The people losing their jobs and people who like to shop at those stores care you little punk!

Seriously, THINK before you post and demonstrate your lack of empathy for other people!!! The world isn't all about anime and manga. There are a lot more important things. Things that affect people in real life.

Honestly, I'm not surprised by one store closure in my area.

I had a feeling they weren't long for this world when Barnes & Noble opened a new megastore literally next door to them.

I know the people that work at the Waldenbooks in question. They'll find new jobs, yes, but it's not going to be the same.

I hate empty kiosks in malls and miss people when they leave...
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
My Borders Express is closing. The next closest (non-used) bookstore is the big Borders in the next town...

Needless to say, I'm saddened.
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
This was somewhat good news for the bookstore chain I work for, as they were able to snatch up (last I heard) 11 of Waldenbooks' leases at cheap prices. Unfortunately, I hate the chain I work for because they are conservative nutjobs. If nothing else maybe I can get some super cheap books from Walden just in time for Christmas.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
Though I hardly go to Waldenbooks ever, I hope the people can find new work soon. 200 stores*X amount of manga volumes=many dollars of manga lost that could contribute to the struggling economy. What's wrong with you book owners?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Thankfully mine isn't closing according to the list. My Borders does offer a much wider selection of manga, but the Waldenbooks is closer to my work, Best Buy, and of course the mall, so I can often just drop by and buy something that they happen to have, whereas Borders is for planned trips with plenty of cash since nothing else major is close to it.
redcar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
Man, what a shame...I've been shopping at my mall location for such a long time, both when it was Waldenbooks and Borders Express. I'll be sad to see it go. I bought my manga there for many years...
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:02 am Reply with quote
Gah... no... All three of the stores I visit are going down... *sob... and one of those cities doesn't even have a retail book store to replace it. Oh the horror. Of course that town is literally dying and living off the nipple of Wal-Mart and its Pizza Parlor that sells delicious spaghetti pizza so its not a complete surprise.

And heck yeah I care! I get most of my manga from Waldenbooks. I get all kinds of coupons and take advantage of their buy 3 get the 4th free deals all the time. Now I gotta drive an extra 20-30 minutes to hit up the Borders in two of those towns. Gah... one of those waldenbooks were really convienent for me. Just take a quick detour before coming home from work... Plus that mall had a Charlie's and a kickass BBQ pit... *sob... No longer the joy of getting new manga and delicious grilled subs or juicy barbeque.. *sob Crying or Very sad

Nooooo... the ones I visit when I go training are closing too...

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:38 am; edited 2 times in total
nekedo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
This was somewhat good news for the bookstore chain I work for, as they were able to snatch up (last I heard) 11 of Waldenbooks' leases at cheap prices. Unfortunately, I hate the chain I work for because they are conservative nutjobs. If nothing else maybe I can get some super cheap books from Walden just in time for Christmas.

Oh, so you're taking advantage of other people's misfortune? How nice.

Despite this, Borders is doing much better than it was a year ago. I don't see this as a doomsday for them. Shops close and reopen all the time. They're closing these, but they're opening a few more superstores in my state and have been even when people were convinced that they were going under.

But it really does stink for the people who live near these locations. Borders employees, from my experience, are much more customer oriented and friendlier than at B&N.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3