• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Tara & Yuri's Infinite Conversation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
Parts: The Clonus Horror now and forever.

If for no other reason than the fact that the MST3K crew mentioned Gus Hall. I'm pretty sure my father and I were the only people watching who got that joke.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't watch a lot of foreign animation (other than anime, duh) so I'll have to keep an eye out for those DVDs you mentioned. I saw the trailer for Book of Kells and it certainly looked interesting even if it's not 100% my cup of tea.

And for some reason I thought it was so funny to hear about the differences between the Japanese and American trailers for Marley & Me, just total opposites of each other.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Kenotic wrote:
However, if someone wanted to go out and rent something now, I'd recommend the French "Triplets of Belleville" - it's bizarre but quite conventional in the way it tells the story.

oh yeah, Triplets of Belleville is definitely a good one.

I just glanced at my DVDs and saw Persepolis. and now I feel bad for not mentioning it first..

Persepolis is an astonishing movie. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

It's kinda like Grave of the Fireflies meets Only Yesterday, then with it's own awesomely unique art style. it's a really good movie.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
Persepolis is an astonishing movie. I would definitely recommend checking it out.

The bande dessinée is better.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

The bande dessinée is better.

LOL. That may be true, but how many people are going to have any clue what a bande dessinée is in this forum? (it's French for comic strip for those who don't know) Is that term actually used by English speakers in some circles? I wouldn't have thought so, but it can be surprising how many French words pop up in English without them really being English - especially in more "cultured" language.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

LOL. That may be true, but how many people are going to know how to google* what a bande dessinée is in this forum? (it's French for comic strip for those who don't know how to google)

fixed that for you.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

LOL. That may be true, but how many people are going to understand that saying "bande dessinee" is just willfully being ridiculously pretentious when he could've just said "graphic novel"?

fixed that for you.

whoa fixed again!!
Pandadice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Pandadice wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

LOL. That may be true, but how many people are going to understand that saying "bande dessinee" is just willfully being ridiculously pretentious when he could've just said "graphic novel"?

fixed that for you.

whoa fixed again!!

ahh this is just like the discussion over localization, versus leaving something untranslated but with a cultural note xD
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
I love that Zac asked about working on a Bioware game considering I've heard Yuri Lowenthal all over Dragon Age Origins.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
Zac wrote:
Pandadice wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

fixed that for you.

whoa fixed again!!

ahh this is just like the discussion over localization, versus leaving something untranslated but with a cultural note xD

I was actually trying to be funny. How many times have you heard "the manga is better" regarding an anime? But we were talking about animation from other countries, and this one is French, so I used the French term to get a reaction from those who don't know it. Guess I failed. Oh, well.

Oh, but it is better, though.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Pandadice wrote:
Zac wrote:
Pandadice wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

fixed that for you.

whoa fixed again!!

I was actually trying to be funny. How many times have you heard "the manga is better" regarding an anime? But we were talking about animation from other countries, and this one is French, so I used the French term to get a reaction from those who don't know it. Guess I failed. Oh, well.

Oh, but it is better, though.

lol, sorry we made you have to spell out your joke for us xD. now i feel lame for not picking up on it. it was clever.

but this goes back to my last post. Does Zac call it manga, or is it being pretentious to call it by the arts native name? or is it only okay to refer to it by it's native name when everyone knows what it is?

and I'll take your word at it being better Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3