• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo Film's Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terminus24

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
Finally, a 3.0 trailer that gets me really hyped for this movie. Really like all the new footage, and Mari's Eva seems pretty neat.

Also, did I see some new faces there? That's always good.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 am Reply with quote
Is it me or was the CG animation really bad?
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 am Reply with quote
Oh my god I need to see this movie right now. The wait for a blu ray release or a festival screening is going to be agony.

Giddy fanboyism aside, there are a few alarm bells going off in my head as well. It looks like there's two new characters being introduced on top of the new pilot from the last movie, and that character silhouette lineup from a while back seems to show even more. I'm just worried they're biting off more than they can chew.
kotelocl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

It was you.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
I still just can't believe how GOOD Shiro Sagisu's music is... it's so perfectly haunting!

Penguin_Factory, I'm a little bit worried about the cast getting bloated too, but I felt the same way when Mari was introduced and ended up being pleasantly surprised by how cool she was; I trust that Studio Khara knows what they're doing with these new characters! I'm thinking they'll be a little bit like the Fraternity members from Gunbuster 2 and just add a little depth/scope to the show without confusing its focus or hogging the spotlight overmuch.

SO EXCITED!
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Okay, I really want Asuka's hat; it looks so cool on her along with the eyepatch. Laughing Looking forward to her space fight.
Mari's new EVA (which I'm sure will get its own figma later on) looks pretty neat; I think she’s the only pilot whose plugsuit matches her EVA colors.

I’m curious why shogi pieces were added to this trailer.

Shinji and Rei both seem distraught in this trailer but, surprisingly, so is Kawrou (personally, he seems more bitter/angry in the Rebuild films than the TV series.)

The two new female characters (of course, they’ll get merchandising later on), a new student & a member of Nerv, look oddly familiar. The one with pink hair reminds me of Creamy Mami (probably unintentional).
Other than that, I still wish I was in Japan to see it on the big screen.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

I actually wish that they would use hand-drawn animation for the Eva sequences.

It really is missed, especially considering that stuff like Redline came out where all the mecha stuff was more or less hand drawn (but I think they were tracing over 3D models? I'm not sure what the story behind that was, but it looked really really nice).

I'll maybe accept 3D models for TV shows and whatever, but not a full movie where the point was to have a more flexible budget and schedule to work with.

(as a side note, I like Oshii's latest animation output, but I wasn't actually a fan of the use of 3D models in the thing... I think the excuse was that all the animators who could've done it in 2D were either dead or retired, but I'm inclined to think that that's not true... they were probably all working on Redline, lol)

That being said, I'm hyped for the eye patch.
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I’m curious why shogi pieces were added to this trailer.

In the TV series, Fuyutsuki plays shogi once! I know it's too much to hope that a really minor, unpopular character like him will get some screentime in the movie, but I really like him so I'm sort of hoping that's what the shogi pieces are pointing to!

PS I am also really loving Asuka's look!
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Badass Trailer!!!!

Looks like there's another new female Eva pilot? Interesting!

The CG in the Rebuilds is pretty well done. I usually hate when the CG doesn't mesh and blend in with the hand drawn art. But it's been pretty awesome so far! I'm sure the quality will keep up!

Also one would really hope we'd get a limited theatrical screening in some major cities close to the Japanese release.

I hate waiting and risk being spoiled, so I usually settle for a subtitled DVD rip when those emerge, then buy the complete blu-ray when it releases in the West.

Given the Eva phone and the 3-D trailer on it, I figured they were probably converting the films to 3-D. But I guess not. Well, they still could later on for extra extortion money.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

After witnessing the torturous CG of the Berserk films, this should look like Pixar-level quality to anime fans.

Haha, joking aside, I know what you are getting at with CG not gelling quite right, but the second movie had pretty good integration so one could surmise it will be consistent in the third.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'll never understand why people get all up and made about animation mixed with cg. Enjoy the film for what it is, Would you rather see CG scenes or would you be happy going back to Gundam 0079 (I wouldn't mind but still).
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shinji and Rei both seem distraught in this trailer but, surprisingly, so is Kawrou (personally, he seems more bitter/angry in the Rebuild films than the TV series.)

I suspect Kawrou's portrayal will be more in line with his personality in Sadamoto's manga. The inclusion of him playing the piano certainly hints at that. Let's hope there are no stray cats for him to mess around with this time around.

Re: the CG, I think it does look somewhat dodgy during the space scenes, so hopefully the finished product will look better. I had no particular issues with the CG during the first two films, so I really hope they don't drop the ball here.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Half the trailer is staring at white text on a black background.

Most of the other half is reaction faces.

I tell you, trailers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:
Finally, a 3.0 trailer that gets me really hyped for this movie. Really like all the new footage, and Mari's Eva seems pretty neat.

Also, did I see some new faces there? That's always good.

My thoughts exactly. Now this, this is a bona fide trailer, not just a merciless teaser.

New characters, Mari's pink EVA with a sick new(?) head design, all these things and more do I love.

I cannot own this movie fast enough. C'mooooon, dub team!
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well they repeated like half the clips from the previous sneak peaks and the title with "Q" was just there for like 15 secs to waste more time...The opera music is as good and dramatic as ever~
Like unit 02, its upgraded look seems neat but that pink eva for Mari looks weird. Though I still believe the movie will be amazing~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2