• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/stay night Gets TV reproduction Special Editions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zero_chance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Well, at least they're redoing the one part of the game-to-anime adaptation that really disappointed me the most... the opening theme. They need to just drop "disillusion" altogether and just reuse the kick-ass game opening theme "THIS ILLUSION".

Unless the lyrics are some kind of major sticking point, they're the same damned song. Except Disillusion doesn't use crappy PC synth instrumentals.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
I would really like for someone to explain to me why Fate/Stay Night is so popular. WHY are there 800000 Saber figures? Why does everyone rave about how good this show is?

Because Saber is our goddess!
... won't answer the rest since it already was.

Basically.

I personally just really like her character design. I played the game and own the anime, and Fate/Stay Night is really just on the "average" end of things IMO, but damn do I like Saber's design...
LuScr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Ah, it seems like Fate/Stay Night has a much better story in the visual novel ... then shame on the anime for not translating the story better! Smile

I feel like an anime series, even if it's based on a manga, visual novel, or a novel should be able to stand alone (even with changes). Fate/Stay Night apparently failed on that :/

Well, to be fair, that isn't entirely the anime's fault.

One thing about the visual novel is that the three story routes have to be played in order. You have to clear Saber's route (Fate) before you can access Rin's (Unlimited Blade Works), and you have to get through Rin's before you can access Sakura's (Heaven's Feel).

Because the VN is set up like that, there's a lot of foreshadowing, in Fate especially, to set things up for the later routes, and some of that foreshadowing made its way into the anime.

Those routes are not in the anime, though--so that foreshadowing just turns into a bunch of questions without answers (and the occasional answer without a question Laughing ). If anything, the anime might have been a bit too faithful in that regard.

If there's one thing the anime can be faulted for, it's for not doing a better job of explaining the nature of the Servants (and how Saber is unusual in that regard). That played a major role in both Shirou's and Saber's actions in the latter part of the story; the anime barely touched on it, though, and their characterizations suffered as a result.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I wish the news post would mention that each are 60 minute OVAs as I previously bought the tv series on blu-ray and was about to be enraged that they are now deciding to edit.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
I wish the news post would mention that each are 60 minute OVAs as I previously bought the tv series on blu-ray and was about to be enraged that they are now deciding to edit.

Well, you shouldn't have felt too bad anyways. It's got new animation and music added so it's like a new production. Gotta squeeze as much money out of the franchise as possible close to the theatrical release.

Hopefully Archer's moment of glory is kept in.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
No I wouldn't be mad if they were to re-edit it. I would be pissed they didn't decide that earlier when they were releasing it on blu-ray. I mean that is like triple dipping(I can handle double dipping). I will be picking this up though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
This hasn't been done that often since the Armitage III : Polymatrix was done.

Can't forget Akira as well. Either way I'm seriously gonna get this one if it's released in the US but with Geneon gone how's gonna get the remake of the series as well as the movie is beyond me.

but what type moon should really do is make an anime series on Stay night's sequels Fate Hollow Ataraxia and Fate Type Zero.

Am I wrong????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Well, if they are making a UBW movie, then there's room for a Heaven's Feel movie, which opens the door for Hollow Ataraxia. You really can't do Hollow Ataraxia without getting all the stories of Fate.

Fate Zero is a given afterwards.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Wow, why are you even reading the news about Fate/stay if you dislike this series this much?

Because ever since I watched Fate/Stay Night earlier this year, it's driven me nuts why it's so popular ... therefore the news on the remake was the perfect opportunity to ask people about what is so appealing about it.

And now I've learned a lot about the VN and it seems like it's a lot better (at least, it seems like it makes a lot more sense).
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not sure I get why it's so popular either. I have one friend who really, really likes it (saw an episode at AnimeExpo and immediately bought all the DVDs). But he's the kind of guy who likes collecting RPG figurines and mock weapons and is really into medieval mythology, so I guess that's not a surprise.

One thing I can say is that the anime was really pretty looking. I really like the character designs, and all the orange lighting in the evening scenes was really striking. Maybe I'll be able to tolerate watching it again if these movie editions are significantly shorter than the series (which I assume they are). But they'll probably end up throwing out characters' appearances in favor of more Shiro/Saber scenes. And I don't they're the best characters.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure I get why it's so popular either.

Well, at least within ANN forums it's not that popular. It's not like I love or call this series something "extraordinary", but it's still inside my top 50 favorite at least. Plus, my experience with Fate/stay is limited to the anime only, and despite that, I didn't have any trouble in understanding the anime.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
"Re-shoot" seems an ambiguous sort of term when used regarding animation. I assume they meant they'll re-capture the existing cells in high-def, but nothing will be re-drawn except for the OP/ED. (Just re-edited, i.e. shot lengths changed and scenes removed).
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I assume they meant they'll re-capture the existing cells in high-def

Cells? Do they still use those?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Sven Viking wrote:
I assume they meant they'll re-capture the existing cells in high-def

Cells? Do they still use those?

Not anymore for the most part. However, the resolution of the images they actually work on are MUCH higher than that of a DVD, so making a bluray these days is really just a matter of reducing the resolution to that of a bluray as opposed to that of a DVD...
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
What would "shoot" entail, in that case? Are cameras even involved, now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3