• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva 2.0 Wins 1st in Animation at Lyon Asian Film Fest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagato316

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
Um...Vive la Evangelion de Deux and Vive les Enfants de Second Impact? (I guess...and apologies for my epic fail at typing Francaise...)

But wow...seeing the words Evangelion and the phrase "won first place" in the same sentence?

Shocked That's it, where's my nearest fallout shelter? This really _is_ the end of the world; Third Impact is nigh! Wink

Seriously, though, congratulations to Hideaki Anno and all involved in this production for this accomplishment that only further validates the significance of the franchise, like it or loathe it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
(Posting error, please delete)

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crystal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Eva won 3rd for CHILDREN'S film?

Wow . . .
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
No, you've misread. It was Symphony in August, an entirely different work, that won 3rd for children's film.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
But wow...seeing the words Evangelion and the phrase "won first place" in the same sentence?

You make it sound like Evangelion is a bad anime. Well, it's alright. I understand that there are a whole bunch of haters out there who didn't even bother to try and understand the anime.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see the Eva movie get some recognition, but I'm even more excited over seeing Symphony in August get some as well. It looks like a great film and has a certain feel to it that is very appealing. I definitely hope to be able to see it and Eva 2.0 in the near future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
nagato316 wrote:

You make it sound like Evangelion is a bad anime. Well, it's alright. I understand that there are a whole bunch of haters out there who didn't even bother to try and understand the anime.

With all due respect, not everyone who hates Eva "didn't understand it." Not that I'm necessarily including myself in that camp, but one is perfectly capable of understanding what Anno was going for and yet still intensely disliking how he pulled it off.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:09 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
nagato316 wrote:

That's right

It's not like the only lilkeable character was a penguin

what

Oh right the only likeable character was the penguin.

Ritsuko: Oh Gendo-Sama, I don't quite know what I love more about you. The fact that your incredibly ugly, or the fact that you have a horrible personality.

Gendo: How about we run some children over and find out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:31 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't argue against the likability of Pen Pen. He's a pengin who can read the goddamn newspaper. There's a friggin' reason he's my avatar.

But Evangelion is an excellent show, albeit a little overrated, and the Rebuild movies are beautiful, too, if not bit more traditional than the series, and sometimes to their detriment.

2.0, from the little I've seen, is pretty amazing. I only wish they didn't downplay Asuka's role in favor of more Rei and a character who is only in a few scenes. Maaya Sakamoto is a great talent, but they shouldn't waste her on some third wheel.

I'd like to see a short piece about what Pen Pen does while everyone else is out saving the world. Even if it's just five minutes of him watching Ebichu Minds The House.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
I'd watch 5 minutes of Pen-Pen watching Ebichu.

Not only can he read a newspaper, but he can down a beer with Misato if I remember right.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
I am pretty sure he can do a whole lot more than that.

I think his basically the Penguin version of Golgo 13. I see a lot of blood in that penguin's past.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
2.0, from the little I've seen, is pretty amazing. I only wish they didn't downplay Asuka's role in favor of more Rei and a character who is only in a few scenes. Maaya Sakamoto is a great talent, but they shouldn't waste her on some third wheel.

Gah, I haven't seen any preview material, but I hope Asuka isn't really being marginalized for more Rei; though I am interested in this Mari character. Guess I'll see for myself when I watch 2.0 tonight... Smile
nagato316

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
nagato316 wrote:

You make it sound like Evangelion is a bad anime.

What? No, it was so not my intent to rip on EVA (the emoticons didn't adequately convey that? And did I not pass along congratulations to Hideaki Anno and Khara Studios for EVA 2.0's recent honor?)...it's not a perfect series, but if I didn't mention it before, I _did_ enjoy it, warts and all. Having said that...

egoist wrote:
I understand that there are a whole bunch of haters out there who didn't even bother to try and understand the anime.

On the contrary...I can't begin to tell you how many brain cells I burned attempting to understand it. Regarding the riddles wrapped in enigmas wrapped in conundrums that populated much of the latter half of the original series and pretty much all of EoE...said riddles did not deter my enjoyment. If anything, those riddles and enigmas actually drew me in even more than the plotline of a more routine giant robot show would have. For that I appreciate how EVA took the mecha genre and subverted it. No, I still haven't "figured it all out," but the effort to sleuth it out is part of the viewing experience that is EVA; _that_ much I do understand. (If you care to, go back to the conversation between myself and King of Harts in the "Whatcha Watchin' and Why?" thread from this past summer where I say as much--actually more than "as much"!!--about the above mysteries and intrigue adding to and enhancing "the EVA experience.")

As such, I still find EVA a compelling watch, enough that I actually intend to see the Rebuild movies as they get released here in the R1. I've seen the first eight-minute tease Funi put out yesterday, and while I know the "new stuff" doesn't even enter the picture until EVA 2.0, I'm really liking the fresh coat of paint they gave Tokyo-3 and NERV HQ in 1.01.

That's right...no new story yet, and I'm _still_ gonna watch 1.01. That pretty much disqualifies me from EVA hater status, ne?

As to my "shock" over EVA 2.0 winning first place in the aforementioned film festival, that comment was two-fold in purpose.

1) You've heard the old saying, "I kid because I love"? That's definitely the case here, and I always poke fun at or with things I sincerely enjoy, especially since...

2) One has to acknowledge that, especially if you're an anime enthusiast, the stuff you love doesn't necessarily get the recognition and accolades you feel it deserves. So when it does receive that kind of recognition, one can't help being taken aback. In an assuredly good way in this case.

Guess it's true what they say...good-natured if sarcastic humor that's not intended to be incendiary _is_ sometimes hard to convey...sorry if I sound a bit peeved. I just don't take well to be labeled as or accused of something I'm not.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
That's right...no new story yet, and I'm _still_ gonna watch 1.01.

Oh, there's some solid new bits in You Are (Not) Alone. Oh-so-tantalizingly-infrequent solid new bits, but they are there.

...But yeah, all the game-changing stuff is saved for 2.0. Which there is a lot of. Like, every frame.

Quote:
This really _is_ the end of the world; Third Impact is nigh! Wink

spoiler[You have no idea.]

And Penguin: spoiler[yeah, too much Rei, not enough Asuka and Mari.]

Best thing I've seen all year (and that includes the upcoming winter season without a shadow of a doubt). It totally deserves the awards. And from the preview, it looks like 3.0 is going to be--to use the word that a certain poster likes to wear out--epic.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I really don't remember all that much Rei in 2.0

Perhaps I just blocked it all off. Because other than spoiler[Her trying to get Shinji and Gendou reconciled by having them over at her place and give them some home-cooking, as well as her kamikaze run with the N2 mine], I can't really recall her being in the spotlight in 2.0

I think you'll be satisfied with the amount of Asuka screentime, considering there's a completely new character in the mix now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2