• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Bebop Producer Reveals 1212 Entertainment

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and a Kazuo Koike work.

Well, they've already done an LA Crying Freeman which hasn't been released here, for some reason. And they remade LW+C with Road to Perdition. So what's left? Mad Bull? Man, if a live-action version of that were combined with Uwe Boll's directing, the universe would explode! Laughing Anyway, Imagi and that company behind Blood weren't so bad, compared to a major like FOX, so I'll give 1212 time to prove themselves.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
No, Road to Perdition was an adaptation of Road to Perdition Rolling Eyes

Anyways, hopefully Cowboy Bebop will be good. It seems he has enough faith in it to go ahead with more anime projects. Anime movies may yet hit their stride, like comic book movies have. And that could only help the anime industry.
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
I've always been a big fan of Bebop. I have artbooks, plush, the anime series, two versions of the movie, most importantly the cd's, the two manga series albeit small, amongst other things but if there was a movie that fox made...I wouldnt want to see it, but would have to for the sake of seeing it.

If this really happens its going to rape my inner child. ;__;
jqsilver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many failures it will take for them to give up on this. Speed Racer and Astro Boy both did pretty badly. I can't really imagine Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop really doing well as live action movies.

I still want to see Zac Efron as Light from Death Note, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:12 am Reply with quote
Some of them might succeed but it still feels a bit redundant to re-make animation as live-action when when of them are moving pictures. For example Dragon Ball manga is kung fu cinema exaggerated to work in drawn world and Cowboy Bebop was originally to work as ann animated series as opposed to live-action. I believe there's going to be some sort of loss in information when already live-action influenced animation is in turn adapted to live-action.
Vinnems

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:21 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop was one of those one in a million chances where everyone who worked on the show was perfect and working at their peak. The music, animation, story, voices, etc. were all perfect.
I doubt they can pull that off with a live action movie, especially with the political game known as Hollywood behind it. Heck, doubt they can ever pull off an animated series like Bebop ever again.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:45 am Reply with quote
jqsilver wrote:
I wonder how many failures it will take for them to give up on this. Speed Racer and Astro Boy both did pretty badly. I can't really imagine Ghost in the Shell or Cowboy Bebop really doing well as live action movies.

I still want to see Zac Efron as Light from Death Note, though.

what are you talking about, astro boy did well internationally. it broke china's record on ticket sales for cgi based movies. it overtook ice age. i don't know if the low sale in the us was due to bad promotion, but to say the film did badly overall is simply wrong.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
No, Road to Perdition was an adaptation of Road to Perdition Rolling Eyes

Anyways, hopefully Cowboy Bebop will be good. It seems he has enough faith in it to go ahead with more anime projects. Anime movies may yet hit their stride, like comic book movies have. And that could only help the anime industry.

lol, i assume that's sarcasm? since i'm not sure how anyone can miss the very first review stating the novel as being heavily influenced by lone wolf and cub for people who actually bother to click on the link. i haven't even heard of the manga title till now.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
I am looking forward to the new studio. Maybe with a studio focused on Live Action remakes, it may do much better than previous attempts in the past.

Personally, I think that there have been a lot of GOOD examples of Live Action remakes, although what I consider Good is not necessarily what others call Good...

And unfortunately the Mahou Sensei Negima Live Action TV show really looks nice, but ends up being so bad - because there is like zero story in it. It's like a big fan service show with no teeth to it.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
what are you talking about, astro boy did well internationally. it broke china's record on ticket sales for cgi based movies. it overtook ice age. i don't know if the low sale in the us was due to bad promotion, but to say the film did badly overall is simply wrong.

It has yet to gross back it's production costs and likely won't durring it's theatre run. Ergo, it did bad.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
jtstellar wrote:

It has yet to gross back it's production costs and likely won't durring it's theatre run. Ergo, it did bad.

These days it's all about the DVD sales. A movie can flop in theaters and still sell a ton on DVD. It's actually the norm these days. I hear the theater run is mostly just a formality, with all the big money being once it's out on DVD. So I'd say wait for Astro Boy to come out on DVD before you say it did bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ayashe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
That's just great. A whole studio devoted to making crappy remakes and adaptations. Cowboy Bebop is so overrated. It was okay, but not the perfect series everyone makes it out to be.
sharonlover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry but if Watanabe reads over it and approves, I have no choice but to trust his decision.

That may not change the fact that I don't think Reeve's is the best lead but, well we'll see.
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:58 am Reply with quote
Ho boy...Anime hyper
nagato316

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Let the record show that the company wasn't called _2012_ Entertaiment, lest the association with potential disaster be too obvious...

*much booing from the forums as nagato ducks all the garbage chucked at him for above remark*

Seriously, though...despite having publicly stated my "wait and see" approach to awaiting the Bebop movie as it's in development...the following:

Quote:
1212 Entertainment, will be focusing on live-action adaptations of manga, anime, and game titles from Japan... [and] will have "a lot to announce soon."

"A lot?" Now this I find worrisome...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3